Do you guys run a "frankenblend"

Originally Posted by dave1251
The last OC on the Focus I used like 5 different brands and grades.

LOL and you car didn't burst into flames imagine that.
thumbsup2.gif

Just did a change on the wifes car using a mix of 5w-30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability and some leftover 15w-50 Mobil 1 that I wanted to get rid of. I call the oil "The Ultimate 1".

Reactions: JC1
Each oil change I have about half a litre leftover. I save this up and pour it into a single 5L jug. I was about to use it, but a Mate was short of oil for his oil burning Forester, so I gave it to him.

Bits of Edge 5W30, Edge 10W60, GTX 15W40, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, Valvoline SynPower 0W40, Penrite 20W60 and Castrol Magnatec 10W30 (or something very like that). Four synthetics, two mineral and one semi-synthetic. Good stuff.

Originally Posted by SR5
Each oil change I have about half a litre leftover. I save this up and pour it into a single 5L jug. I was about to use it, but a Mate was short of oil for his oil burning Forester, so I gave it to him.
Bits of Edge 5W30, Edge 10W60, GTX 15W40, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, Valvoline SynPower 0W40, Penrite 20W60 and Castrol Magnatec 10W30 (or something very like that). Four synthetics, two mineral and one semi-synthetic. Good stuff.

Shouldn't you add some 0W8 in the interests of fairness to lighter grades?
;^)

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by SR5

Shouldn't you add some 0W8 in the interests of fairness to lighter grades?
;^)

Mate, I've been thinking the same thing. Buy a 5L jug of Penrite 0W16 or Shell Helix Ultra 0W20, just to balance out my frakenbrew as it builds up. Unfortunately those lighter grades are rarely on sale here and a bit expensive.

Besides, I need more oil like a fat kid needs more cupcakes.

50-50 of 5W20 and 5W30 Owners manual says 5W20 or 5W30 OKay so i went with the half way point, no real reason, been doing it for the 50,000 miles on the engine now Will eventually move up to 100% 5W30 and hopefully never a high mileage oil.,

Originally Posted by Spector
50-50 of 5W20 and 5W30 Owners manual says 5W20 or 5W30 OKay so i went with the half way point, no real reason, been doing it for the 50,000 miles on the engine now Will eventually move up to 100% 5W30 and hopefully never a high mileage oil.,

Engines don't have a brain doing test on the oil inside
All they know it's slick stuff and all's ok !!!!! Drive on !

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by dave1251
The last OC on the Focus I used like 5 different brands and grades.

Beautiful...

Dave1251 secretly likes rainbows
lol.gif

Thus the rainbow colored oil containers used in that oil change.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Do any of you folks run a frankenblend of oils? I do this and my friend with a 2012 F 150 truck does as he runs a FRAM ULTRA filter.

I do this to use up some single quarts from the stash and haven't ever had any issues.

I had to do a frankenblend on my 2004 Jetta 2.0L and it's never run better. Little bit of this, little bit of that. Four different oils to start including mixing 30 and 40 weight. I think that motor really likes the castrol magnatec.

I know the purists are going to bring up the add pack angle, but my motor burns oil, so it's not really as applicable to me.

Last edited:
I'm now four years in to Frankenblends "on purpose" for my motorcycles and I am very pleased with the experience. There simply isn't an oil that is better for most of my bikes than my vudo-brew.... 50% Rotella T6 15w40 and 50% Rotella T4 15w40. Same grade and at the end, a semi-synthetic and JASO happy. Near zero oil is burned off and shifting is spectacular, even out to thousands of miles in a shared sump on my bikes. And heck.... $4 a quart.

I haven't done Frankenblends in my autos..... but might be headed that way as oil supplies are becoming thin in my locale for the brands I want.

Hell... where are we going to be in 1-2 years? Will old ladies be driving their autos, out to 20-30k before an oil change? That will be the utimate Frankenblend.... 1 quart top off with whatever the heck old Mrs. Miller can find.

I'm running three quarts of SM 5w20 Mobil Clean 5000 and 4 quarts of SN Plus 10W40 Quaker State High Mileage in my Navigator. OEM filter. OLM is at 59%, I think I will change at 50%.

The wife is running 1 quart M1AFE 0w20 SN, 2 quarts M1 5w20 SN, and 2 quarts of Chevron Pro DS 5w20 SN in her Outlander. ST6607 filter. Will change at 5K miles, 4100 currently.

Back