2019 CX5 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be changing the oil every 4000. Thinking of using Mobil 1 full syn. Lots of short trips and idling. Thanks.

Is it possible for you to take it out for longer drives? Those SkyActiv motors want to run.

Congrats on the new Mazda.

While it's true that many modern oils are tolerant of turbocharger temperatures, why chance it. Furthermore, fuel byproducts in the oil are a major component of turbocharger coking.

As always, it's good to choose a quality synthetic of sufficient viscosity, and change it frequently.

What Mobil 1 full syn would that be?

Not M1 5W30

Not M1 0W20 AFE

remember

"Full Synthetic Oil" is an advertising term not anything to do with the actual blend.

Not saying anything about suitability for service, just you my not get what you expect.

I only mention this since you put M1 and Full Syn in the came sentence

Another fuel diluter maybe? With that driving cycle, I'd expect it. Use Mobil1 AFE 0w30 for the short trips & idling severe service until you know what it will do. Or just do it in case, without a UOA to find out, if thats too much trouble. If it was a Honda 1.5L turbo, it would be expected for sure. This one not sure if it will.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
"Full Synthetic Oil" is an advertising term not anything to do with the actual blend.Not saying anything about suitability for service, just you my not get what you expect.I only mention this since you put M1 and Full Syn in the came sentence

Doesn't matter what you think about Group3 vs. GroupX. ... Only thing that matters for a turbo engine like this is the dexos1 GMTC https://gmtdc.org/refftp/docs/TestM...t%20monitoring%20system%20Dec%202015.pdf

Very interesting to me that several sources show the CX-5's 2.5l turbo to be 227 HP max on regular, but 250 HP on premium.
I was a little surprised when the Ascent came out and only 260 HP was claimed for its new 2.4l DIT...the 2.0l DIT in my FXT is supposed to be 250 HP, so I was expecting more like 300 HP for the newer engine.
A key difference between these two Subaru engines is that a minimum of 91 octane is recommended for mine while the 2.4l is advertised as being fine with 87 octane.
People squawked a lot about "having" to use premium for the FXT and WRX and Subaru clearly listened...they do say that the 2.0l will run safely on 87, but that substandard performance and light knocking is likely.
I didn't care too much about running premium when I bought my car, but now that the common price delta from regular to premium is more like 60 cents rather than the 20 or so cents that was common not so long ago it does irk me at times (I still buy premium).

My wife now has the 260 HP 2.4l DIT in her Legacy XT and I am curious about what its output might be on premium. She is a pretty sedate driver and doesn't care about the extra power per se...she really liked how quiet her turbo model was, though, it tends to raise boost rather than raising RPM on a throttle increase less than going WOT and it felt very refined compared to the 2.5l NA versions. I showed her how to stab at the downshift paddle in auto mode to get an RPM boost and she thought that was crazy loud! ;^)

Originally Posted by Bert_c
I'll be changing the oil every 4000. Thinking of using Mobil 1 full syn. Lots of short trips and idling. Thanks.

Sounds like a great plan to me. We go 3000 or 3 months on the SFS 2.0T

Same severe schedule

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay

Sounds like a great plan to me. We go 3000 or 3 months on the SFS 2.0TSame severe schedule
If you don't use a 0w30 or 5w30 like wemay's Annual Protection choice, then consider upgrading to a better 0w20. Go with VW 508 0w20 like my Tiguan. German oil goes through more torture tests, is more expensive(!), and might be better than Annual Protection 0w20 for all we know from proven engine tests anyway.
ecstuning.com is where I get my future Castrol. suncoastparts.com has the Mobil1 version.

I bought a 2019 Mazda CX 5 Turbo model in May. I have decided upon Castrol Edge 5W-30 full synthetic as the oil of choice. According to their claims it is designed for GDI turbo engines, is rated SN+ and Dexos Gen. 2. It can typically be found for under $25 for a 5 qt. jug which is a few bucks cheaper than Mobil 1 5W-30.

Oil filters for that model are a bit puzzling. According to some people on the Mazda CX 5 Forum, "compatible" filters from Fram, Mobil 1, Wix, and others are not necessarily as good as Mazda factory filters. Their argument is just because the thread size and capacity is about the same, the ADBV may not be calibrated the same as a factory filter or at least the information/specifications from the manufacturers has not been forthcoming for comparison. This is somewhat disappointing as I like to use a slightly oversize filter and one of the Fram Ultra models which are good enough to only have to change every other oil change given a 5000 mile OCI.

I recently retired and moved to a small Sou Cal mountain community. I am no longer on the freeways and commuting every day thank god. Consequently I only drive every two or three days and it is short trips to town. I only burn the 91 octane premium since I'm not putting very many miles on the car now so cost isn't a big deal and I like the extra horsepower on the mountain roads. I do make about a 100 mile round trip every three weeks or so down to a larger city for shopping but am a little concerned about the severe service demands of only making a 10 mile round trip several times a week so I'll keep my OCI's to a 5K maximum.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Since Mazda wants 5W30 oil, get this, change it every 7,500 miles:
https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-0303...30+ACEA+A3&qid=1576256657&sr=8-4
or this:
https://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-804...tosin+5W30&qid=1576256704&sr=8-3

Op states lots of short trips and idling. Based on my similar usage in a non turbo 2.5. No way I,d go 7500. Too much fuel dilution. I'm going 4 k or less. Winter I'm probably going 3k.

Great choice on the Mazda CX-5. I took the boring route and went with a long warranty (6 years!) Tiguan. A CX-5 would be more fun and styled better.

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
GDI turbo engines, is rated SN+ and Dexos Gen. 2. It can typically be found for under $25 for a 5 qt. jug which is a few bucks cheaper than Mobil 1 5W-30.
Yes, Mazda specifiies 5w-30, the 0w-20 I mentioned above is for non-turbo versions only, as I just saw in the Owner's Manual.
I think they do that for fuel dilution concerns. Sticking with dexos1 5w30 is fine because I'll bet they already account for possible thinning, knowing the customer might end up with a 0w20 mid-OCI.

I guess you could go with Mobil1 euro 0w40 though, also cheap at walmart, and really not much thicker than a typical 5w30 (A mere -0.5 cSt lower kv100 and it'd be a 30 weight!)
Warranty says use 5w30 though, so slight risk going to 0w40 if caught by Mazda.

Oil filters ..... as good as Mazda factory filters. ....the ADBV may not be calibrated the same as a factory filter or at least the information/specifications from the manufacturers has not been forthcoming for comparison. This is somewhat disappointing as I like to use a slightly oversize filter and one of the Fram Ultra models which are good enough to only have to change every other oil change given a 5000 mile OCI.
Not ADBV, but I think you mean Bypass Valve pressure setting. That was an issue with Subaru & GM engines only, and filter makers already adjusted for the most part anyway. ... It would be best to use a Fram Ultra oil filter, and oversize if it will fit down there is even better, less pressure drop with the longer ones, fewer winter bypass events.

Message bitog expert ZeeOSix and ask about Fram Ultras on the CX-5 if you have any doubt. Those Mazda forums are more unreliable.

I bought a 2019 Mazda CX 5 Turbo model in May. I have decided upon Castrol Edge 5W-30 full synthetic as the oil of choice. According to their claims it is designed for GDI turbo engines, is rated SN+ and Dexos Gen. 2. It can typically be found for under $25 for a 5 qt. jug which is a few bucks cheaper than Mobil 1 5W-30.

Oil filters for that model are a bit puzzling. According to some people on the Mazda CX 5 Forum, "compatible" filters from Fram, Mobil 1, Wix, and others are not necessarily as good as Mazda factory filters. Their argument is just because the thread size and capacity is about the same, the ADBV may not be calibrated the same as a factory filter or at least the information/specifications from the manufacturers has not been forthcoming for comparison. This is somewhat disappointing as I like to use a slightly oversize filter and one of the Fram Ultra models which are good enough to only have to change every other oil change given a 5000 mile OCI.

I recently retired and moved to a small Sou Cal mountain community. I am no longer on the freeways and commuting every day thank god. Consequently I only drive every two or three days and it is short trips to town. I only burn the 91 octane premium since I'm not putting very many miles on the car now so cost isn't a big deal and I like the extra horsepower on the mountain roads. I do make about a 100 mile round trip every three weeks or so down to a larger city for shopping but am a little concerned about the severe service demands of only making a 10 mile round trip several times a week so I'll keep my OCI's to a 5K maximum.

Dwight, for pretty much the same price I get the Roki OEM filters from the dealer. They are made in Thailand but look well built. They have the nice o ring type gasket along with the cellophane cover.

I used the M1 108A once with no problems but when I was purchasing one for the next oil change I saw that a lot of glue was all over and that sloppiness turned me away. The Roki is actually cheaper than the M1.

Originally Posted by paoester
Only thing that matters for a turbo engine like this is the dexos1 GMTC https://gmtdc.org/refftp/docs/TestM...t%20monitoring%20system%20Dec%202015.pdf

That may be a great way to ensure a quality oil is used. But it certainly is not the only way to ensure success. Fuel and fuel by products produce hard carbon on hot turbocharger components. The longer an oil is used, the more contaminated it becomes with fuel and fuel by products, the higher the risk of turbocharger coking.

In all of the HTS (high thermal stability) oil testing we've done, one thing is amazingly clear, the longer it's subjected to the high temperature environment, the worse the coking is. Most modern oils will protect quite well, right up until they don't. That's one of many reasons why the oil change interval is so important.

Thanks for the replies. I do get a good long Hi way ride at least once a week,though.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by edyvw

Since Mazda wants 5W30 oil, get this, change it every 7,500 miles:
https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-0303...30+ACEA+A3&qid=1576256657&sr=8-4
or this:
https://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-804...tosin+5W30&qid=1576256704&sr=8-3

Op states lots of short trips and idling. Based on my similar usage in a non turbo 2.5. No way I,d go 7500. Too much fuel dilution. I'm going 4 k or less. Winter I'm probably going 3k.

5,000 miles, do it OCI, than decide.
These oils I posted are very heavy 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back