valvoline durablend 5w-30 in yaris, ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
brought my snowbird 2014 yaris for its usual 3500 mile, $20 oil change to my favorite superior tire franchise, expecting kendall gt1 semisynthetic again. price is up to $22, but includes free tire rotation, battery test and brake check. all ok except that valvoline replaced kendall on the menu. i'm not really worried except that $20 kendall was a great deal imho. what is bitgoers' consensus on $22 valvoline? thanks.

I just purchased Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic on Amazon for $20.47. I don't think I'd buy Valvoline Synthetic Blend for $1.50 more, but that doesn't mean the oil wouldn't be just fine in your Yaris.

Link

I'd use it without hesitation! Valvoline is an excellent oil, particularly for a 3500-mile oci. I'd run it and sleep well in that decision!

thanks much guys for the reassurance! the yaris is pretty much bulletproof but this information is helpful.

I had a 1993 Olds Bravada with a W-code 4.3L V6 hit 285,000 miles before I sold it in 2017.
The engine and drive train were still fine when sold. Everything was falling apart, but the drive-train was just peachy.
And, she was never garaged and spent more than 20-years outside in south-central Alaska.
She ran the majority of those miles on regularly changed Valvoline Durablend 5W-30.
Elsewhere, synthetics were regularly used and changed on schedule or early.
I adored that sno-go and miss it. It never failed me... ever. Imagine that.

Last edited:
I don't believe there's such a thing as a "bad" Valvoline oil, just good, better and best. However there is such a thing as an overpriced Valvoline oil, *coughs* VME *coughs*..not to beat a dead horse....€

Originally Posted by jstert
brought my snowbird 2014 yaris for its usual 3500 mile, $20 oil change to my favorite superior tire franchise, expecting kendall gt1 semisynthetic again. price is up to $22, but includes free tire rotation, battery test and brake check. all ok except that valvoline replaced kendall on the menu. i'm not really worried except that $20 kendall was a great deal imho. what is bitgoers' consensus on $22 valvoline? thanks.

Valvoline is one of five major brand names in mid-priced oils. Kendall is not.
For all the work performed - quality product used and low price attached, I'd have my oil changed there also.
Terrific find and lucky-you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustN89
I just purchased Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic on Amazon for $20.47. I don't think I'd buy Valvoline Synthetic Blend for $1.50 more, but that doesn't mean the oil wouldn't be just fine in your Yaris.

Link

I think it's important to note OP's comment that the $22 includes tire rotation, battery check, and brake check.
For those out there unwilling or unable to get underneath their car, $22 is a screaming deal.

Haven't heard that name "durablend" in ages. Are they selling their bulk recycled oil blend thru QOC franchises?

That Yamaha engine in that toyota deserves good oil. It's high specific out put for a small N.A. motor.

rec: Valvoline Advanced 5W30.

Hey, but if runs fine and get good mileage on the durablend you should be fine for that for super short 3500mi interval.

But just think, if you bring the Valvoline Advanced 5W30 you could skip the next OC and go to 7K miles NP.

That Yamaha engine in that toyota

To what are you referring?

Are you confusing it with the 2ZZ-GE?

Have you given up on indicating the VVT is finicky without 30 weight oil?

Last edited:
Mate, Valvoline DuraBlend semi-synthetic is a good oil, and I went out of my way to track some down. I'm running DuraBlend myself right now (10W40 SN & A3/B4) and happy for it.

It's pretty much MaxLife without the extra seal conditioners, just the regular amount. And MaxLife is a well respected oil, so don't worry about DuraBlend.

You paid a good price too. Relax and enjoy, it's an easy 5k mile oil if you want to go that far. I'll probably do that much at least.

We use Valvoline Durablend at our Kia dealer and it sells for about $40, so you got a good deal. Oil comes from a New West oil truck. The stuff is good for any vehicle, just don't go over 5k with it. Turbo engines, especially GDI, should be every 4k maximum with the stuff. I personally don't use it because I like my oil from bottles.

Originally Posted by Loobit
We use Valvoline Durablend at our Kia dealer and it sells for about $40, so you got a good deal. Oil comes from a New West oil truck. The stuff is good for any vehicle, just don't go over 5k with it. Turbo engines, especially GDI, should be every 4k maximum with the stuff. I personally don't use it because I like my oil from bottles.

Without evidence to support your assumption you can not accurately state when a oil is spent.

I would advise the 4K OCI, unless you are not 1st and last owner - thus disposing of the vehicle premature.
Running plain dino for 5K, without even mentioning whether it's D1-G2 SN Plus, is like rolling the dice on the upkeep of a very expensive piece of machinery.

Don't ever gamble on a lifetime of ownership, without being pretty sure of the outcome. If you are getting rid of the vehicle premature to old age / death, then run anything cheap and gamble on the GDI / TGDI, with any dino for 5K

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I would advise the 4K OCI, unless you are not 1st and last owner - thus disposing of the vehicle premature.
Running plain dino for 5K, without even mentioning whether it's D1-G2 SN Plus, is like rolling the dice on the upkeep of a very expensive piece of machinery.

Don't ever gamble on a lifetime of ownership, without being pretty sure of the outcome. If you are getting rid of the vehicle premature to old age / death, then run anything cheap and gamble on the GDI / TGDI, with any dino for 5K

Valvoline 5W30 WB is a syn blend and is SN+ ISLAC GF-5 it's exactly what the manual calls for @ 5k OCIs. I shouldn't have called it "conventional"

Last edited:
Comparison purposes, Quaker State synblend is commonly used for the Korean automakers Kia and Hyundai.
I used to prefer to blend my own 50-50. But nowadays full synthetics offer the best prices in stores.

So if shops are changing the oil, I would find one that at least provides a name-brand synblend, instead of a bulk tank conventional that isn't one of the Top-6 brands..... Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Quaker State, Motorcraft.

My opinion, for I never shop house brand names.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back