Cleaning Marantz face plate and internals

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I clean Marantz face and the internals? I just bought a SR 820DC that I will need to clean when it's delivered.

Pics of said Marantz?

The writing on the face will be delicate so don't brute force it with IPA, chlorinated solvents, etc. Try gentle like castile soap. Use a artist's rubber eraser for marks or smudges.

For the insides, I assume Molykote 33, YM-102(sold as Toyota Body Grease W) or Super Lube grease could work. I found this: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/sr820dc.shtml

You need to register but it looks like they have the service literature there.

What would you put grease on?

In general, aggressively cleaning an antique piece is discouraged. As nthatch said, the silk-screened writing is prone to come off. If it was owned by a smoker you may have a lot of smoke on the inside of the display glass. Usually it is not complicated to take off the front panel facade to clean that part.

It finally arrived. Just in time for the weekend tinkering. Here is how dirty it is.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Belonged to a smoker....
Mild dishsoap and a q-tip and soft brush will clean it up.
If it smells like smoke it will slowly dissipate. Compressed air will clean the PC.
Be careful with the silkscreen lettering as smoke has eaten away at it and the lettering will be easily be removed during cleaning.

I worked as a tech for a company that serviced Marantz (factory warranty service) in the 70s, 80s and 90s - ask me how I know how easy it is to wash of lettering on a smoker's unit
frown.gif

Put the face plate and buttons in hot water and natural dishwashing liquid for an hour. Rubbed the crud with my fingers and it came off easily. Looks brand new now.

Vacuumed the innards and cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. The switches don't work so I will need to get a contact cleaner for the next step.

Got Deoxit D5 and sprayed I to the pots and rotated 15-20 times. No luck. The fade and volume don't work well.

Looks like I'll need to open them and clean manually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back