2007 Honda Accord Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on my 2007 Accord, feel a very slight vibration or shudder(maybe) around 38-42mph(mostly at exact 40mph) when car is being driven in D4.

Whenever I drive in D3, never felt anything and drives super smooth.

Fluid color is good, I got used and have done 2 drain and refills with DW-1 and planning to do a 3rd one with the oil change.

Not sure if it's just a mental thing or something is off? Can anyone please educate if something is off while shifting into final gear? Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

That is a normal behavior for that transmission if it shudders a bit when shifting. You are not losing your mind. You can either accelerate faster or change the sensor.

What I think is happening is at that speed, the AT is shifting between 3/4. When you have it in D3, it only goes up to 3rd. I've noticed the same thing in my 06 when I'm going that slow. If I know I'm in an area, like around town, I never put it in D, always D3.

Do another 2x drain and fill immediately.

I have a friend with a 2016 Honda that has that same issue.
The ATF was dark.
I told him to do D&F with Maxlife ATF, he did 3x first and that fix it.
Then he did another 2x after that to finish the 2 bottles.

May not help you but worth giving it a chance.

I read somewhere that the general consensus for Honda is to ATF D&F every year regardless of mileage.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Is it shuddering during the shift or after the shift is completed?

Usually when it's about to shift or during the shift.

Once shift is completed, everything is normal.

I can't remember which gears they were off the top of my head. I think it was clinebarger that described it once upon a time, but there is a gearchange in the Honda boxes where the gears are on the same shaft, meaning that the transmission has to release one gear and engage the next with little to no overlap or there will be binding, usually resulting in a shift that feels different from the rest. This might be what you're experiencing. The only thing I can think off, would be to make sure that your fluid is clean, replace the external filter, and check to be sure the levels are correct.

Assuming of course that it is an I4 car. If its a V6, the filter would be internal and you should probably replace the pressure switches as well. You could probably replace them on the I4 as well, but you don't hear much about those going bad like you do on the V6 cars.

I know on my TL, the 'wierd' shift is the 2-3 shift. If I'm just tooling around it feels like a slow shift, but foot to the floor the programming changes and it changes much much quicker.

It's an I4 - checked the color of the fluid again and it's bright pink, might just do another 3 quarts drain and refill.

Taking the advise from here and just pushing a accelerator a bit, no shudder at all. Maybe babying the car is the reason.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
How well does Maxlife atf work with DW1 spec Honda transmissions?

It did great in our beloved 08 CRV. I did do a DW1 and lube guard additive once with similar results. 180K at trade in with no issues.

You could try resetting the ECU and see if it learns differently, but chances are once it does it will probably go back to feeling the same.

I would still do my best to make sure everything else is up to par, you've already got a great start on the fluid.

You could try resetting the ECU and see if it learns differently, but chances are once it does it will probably go back to feeling the same.

I would still do my best to make sure everything else is up to par, you've already got a great start on the fluid.

Actually I have recently removed negative cable, to reset P0420 and so far hasn't come back yet, so ECU was reset.

I'll drain and add 3 quarts of DW1 at upcoming oil change and see if it improves anything. Looking at the color of the fluid, just seems like a waste to drain and fill now.

Do you know the service history of it? How many times has it been D&F before now?

I got the car used and previous owner had replaced the transmission.

After acquiring I did all the fluids, air filter and inspected spark plugs, pads and changed tires.

Carfax had quite a few service records on the car.

Skip the fluid changes since the fluid is already good. Get a 2oz tube of Instant Shudder Fix by Lubeguard. Amazon or any auto parts store. Put it in. Problem solved. Stock item at my shop. Works darn near every time. It will fix your problem instantly. It's $6-10 a tube. I'm not exaggerating when I say my shop has used a couple thousand tubes of this stuff over the years and it's truly amazing what it does. Trust me on this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ToadU
Skip the fluid changes since the fluid is already good. Get a 2oz tube of Instant Shudder Fix by Lubeguard. Amazon or any auto parts store. Put it in. Problem solved. Stock item at my shop. Works darn near every time. It will fix your problem instantly. It's $6-10 a tube. I'm not exaggerating when I say my shop has used a couple thousand tubes of this stuff over the years and it's truly amazing what it does. Trust me on this.

Thanks, okay I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back