5w50 in the stash

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
I was cleaning my garage and shifting stuff around so i can dismantle a project car for the crusher and came across about 5 quarts of synthetic castrol 5w50 that i bought some years ago (thanks to BITOG promo/sale section!). I want to slowly use it, any thoughts or concerns if I slip 1 quart of this beautiful 5w50 synthetic in with my normal 5w20 changes?

This is the BITOG disease.
But something you don't need because it's on sale.
Store it for 3+ years.
Ask if it's ok to use.
Struggle to find a reasonable application.

I have been guilty of this more than once...

I'm queasy about mixing oils. Possible additive clash. Not knowing it still has what it takes to get the SN/ACEA/dexos1/508/whatever spec after mixing.
It can certainly be done, and you may never notice any difference.

I'd do it if you don't mind your oil being thicker. Summer would probably be a better time than colder months.

Last edited:
remember back in the ninetys Castrol syntec 5/50 ..I'd have no issues using in the Toyota's

My Briggs & Stratton 10 gallon air compressor specifically asks for 5w50. If you have a compressor, check its requirements.

That stuff seems like the kind of oil you'd use in some exotic car that needs thick oil, but also needs good flow for a cold start. I wouldn't put 1 quart in an engine that needs 5w-20 unless the manual says it can run with 5w-30. Some engines have sensitive variable valve timing systems that can throw a code for incorrect cam timing.

"I wouldn't put 1 quart in an engine that needs 5w-20 unless the manual says it can run with 5w-30. Some engines have sensitive variable valve timing systems that can throw a code for incorrect cam timing."

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
This is the BITOG disease.
But something you don't need because it's on sale.
Store it for 3+ years.
Ask if it's ok to use.
Struggle to find a reasonable application.

I have been guilty of this more than once...

Also-just because everybody else is buying it. Like the guy who bought a Crown Vic "for the wife" and she drove it for six months then wanted a convertible.

Christmas gift to a friend who has a Mustang, Corvette, Focus RS, maybe older BMW, Mercedes, VW, anything that is spec'ed for the thicker stuff.
Big box and a big oily bow.

Originally Posted by Hombre909
"I wouldn't put 1 quart in an engine that needs 5w-20 unless the manual says it can run with 5w-30. Some engines have sensitive variable valve timing systems that can throw a code for incorrect cam timing."
+1

I also agree with this. Or you could use it as make-up oil (top off between services) as someone else suggested, assuming you don't need much make-up oil.
It is a good idea to use the same brand and variety when mixing oils but it' not necessary, I've never heard of a frankenbrew blowing up an engine.

Originally Posted by Loobit
That stuff seems like the kind of oil you'd use in some exotic car that needs thick oil, but also needs good flow for a cold start. I wouldn't put 1 quart in an engine that needs 5w-20 unless the manual says it can run with 5w-30. Some engines have sensitive variable valve timing systems that can throw a code for incorrect cam timing.

Wonder what would happen with this same vehicle on the other side of the world where it would spec a thicker oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back