Does old adhesive need to be removed for vinyl planking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister watts me to install vinyl planking on a concrete slab in her new Condo where I worked today to remove wood laminate flooring that was glued down. I used an air hammer. I didn't know if the remaining adhesive will cause a bump or an uneven surface that can be felt or cause a problem clicking in the flooring.

The picture I attached is of the same but in the kitchen where I tiled.

IMG_20191112_100220.jpg

I would see what Home Depot has for a flooring stripper/sander and do it right. If it comes out badly, you'll wish you didn't skip this step IMO.

I might try a belt sander with a bag to collect the dust. You just gotta check the floor for uneven areas or bumps. I put down a Pergo floor with the padding attached, and it helps float out any uneven spots and add's some cushioning.,,,

Too late now, but could you have installed the vinyl floor over the laminate wood floor?

You might put down some luan and glue that down easier and faster than scraping and sanding glue.

Last edited:
You're going to put it down to measure, and thats a good time to test. it comes as padding and flooring. its very forgiving. Might be fine

I just put some vinyl plank in a kitchen over the original vinyl tile that also had sheet linoleum, peel and stick vinyl and sheet vinyl on top of it (4) layers. The linoleum left a rough paper and glue mess that was impossible to scrape up. A wallpaper steamer and lots of scraping got most of it off. I figured that as long as the floor was as smooth as a sheet of osb it was good enough. I did use a floor filler to fill in some damaged areas. My tip is crank up the heat or warm the tiles with a space heater. I chipped a few edges pounding them together until I turned up the heat and the planks got more flexible. I had no problems in the summer when I did the bathroom.

Maybe a heat gun from Harbor Freight would soften the adhesive to be able to scrape it up? It's like a latex adhesive, it's both spongy and stretchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back