AC DELCO PF 63E CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening BITOGERS
smile.gif

This filter and a frankenblend oil mixture of Castrol EDGE 0W40 and EDGE 0W20 was off my friends 2011 Ford F-150 with 5.0 engine. Lots of stop and go and decent amount of highway driving. Oil and filter was in and on for 5,400 miles. He is the friend that is like me or does frankenblend mix of oil often. Truck has 114,556 on it. Put a blend he supplied of GTX 5W20 and more EDGE 0W40 along with another PF 63E. Both new filter and this one he supplied, said he got them dirt cheap online.

Enjoy the photos
smile.gif
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ADBV was kinda stiff also. Friend didnt report any odd startup noises or anything abnormal. Seam area looks kinda ugly but didnt tear
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JC1
Looks ok for a Frankenbrew Combo! Thanks for the C&P.

You are welcome sir
smile.gif

Pleats need to be tight on those-or you wind up with smashed pleats like the Fram PH16s used to have. Ecores don't seem bad, but I'm always trying to look inside to see if there's any wide pleats before I (rarely) use them.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Pleats need to be tight on those-or you wind up with smashed pleats like the Fram PH16s used to have. Ecores don't seem bad, but I'm always trying to look inside to see if there's any wide pleats before I (rarely) use them.

Looks like the media could have blown through the ecore cage given wider center tube windows, or more delta-p. Looks boarderline to the danger zone IMO. Thanks Stude.

It made it. Although simply put it looks like the media was not far from splitting/opening at the seam.

Thanks for the photos. Yet another filter that needs to step it up for todays longer factory oci's

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
Thanks for the photos. Yet another filter that needs to step it up for todays longer factory oci's

You are welcome. I can safely say I agree with you

Originally Posted by demarpaint
It made it. Although simply put it looks like the media was not far from splitting/opening at the seam.

Yeah, ugly I call it, it held up though

Told friend I would use a ULTRA or at least a WIX.

That looks like an old vintage AC Delco oil filter from the 1990's. I'm not sure they are worthy of anything now other than a landfill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Hombre909
That looks like an old vintage AC Delco oil filter from the 1990's. I'm not sure they are worthy of anything now other than a landfill.

Uh, no. Filter is a currently made oil filter. They are ok for 4-5k oci in my uneducated opinion

Rockauto sells them currently for $3.15 and cross references to a WIX 57045. The "E" designation was added when GM changed the basic configuration from the PF63. There are lots of PF63E videos on Youtube that describe the filter in detail. The videos generally advise to avoid the filter as it is a cheapened version of the non "E" model". Thinner paper pleats, thinner can, etc.

Last edited:
Thank you for another excellent C & P. I hope your friend will take your advice regarding an Ultra or Wix. Thanks again. Irishman

I have not had one with the wide seam - but I bought a box with a dozen - so if the first was made well I'm thinking number 12 would be as well ...

Originally Posted by Hombre909
Rockauto sells them currently for $3.15 and cross references to a WIX 57045. The "E" designation was added when GM changed the basic configuration from the PF63. There are lots of PF63E videos on Youtube that describe the filter in detail. The videos generally advise to avoid the filter as it is a cheapened version of the non "E" model". Thinner paper pleats, thinner can, etc.

And to add, the "E" version means Ecore center tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back