Rock Island Armory VR80

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw one of these in the local Farm store over the weekend. Since I have not been able to take my mind off of it. The build quality was great, and for the price...simply amazing! Thoughts? Any experience? Thinking a nice little Christmas gift for myself.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
I saw one of these in the local Farm store over the weekend. Since I have not been able to take my mind off of it. The build quality was great, and for the price...simply amazing! Thoughts? Any experience? Thinking a nice little Christmas gift for myself.

Definitely looks pretty neat and has a really nice street price. Some Rock Island stuff is really good, others like the M208 revolver, not so much. There are a lot of Youtube videos reviewing the VR80 out there.

Yuck with a side of disgusting sauce.

Its a foreign thingamajig that may or may nor work. When it dies (when, not if), where are you going to get it fixed? How are you going to get parts?

I shy away from this stuff and go mainstream. You want a premium semi auto shotgun that works, that you can get parts for, you get a Benelli M2, or a Remington V3.

Not to even mention that shotguns are not meant to be magazine fed with a box magazine. Shotgun shells are strong end to end, but squishy top to bottom. They deform long term when placed into these box type magazines.

And being imported, probably only has 5 round magazines with no offer for more capacity than that ever, so always stuck with 5 rounds.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Yuck with a side of disgusting sauce.

Its a foreign thingamajig that may or may nor work. When it dies (when, not if), where are you going to get it fixed? How are you going to get parts?

I shy away from this stuff and go mainstream. You want a premium semi auto shotgun that works, that you can get parts for, you get a Benelli M2, or a Remington V3.

Not to even mention that shotguns are not meant to be magazine fed with a box magazine. Shotgun shells are strong end to end, but squishy top to bottom. They deform long term when placed into these box type magazines.

And being imported, probably only has 5 round magazines with no offer for more capacity than that ever, so always stuck with 5 rounds.

I appreciate your feedback, but you clearly have not done any real research on this particular firearm, nor touched it.

The fit and finish are amazing for the price. It flat our works and works well. Review after review online shows that it is well made, and cycles everything from cheap target shot to slugs with no problems at all. You can get both 9 and 19 round magazines to expand capacity if you would like. I have "heard" of the problem of squishing rounds in a magazine, but still not seen solid evidence of it. Either way, it would be kept in my safe...not stored with rounds. I have other alternatives for home defense that are more to my liking. This would just be a toy.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by Neely97
Not to be harsh, but no.

why?

I would rather have a known product, rock island has a reputation of guns than need to tweeted.

Also, not my style, too gang banger.

I dont think you read what I wrote. Lets try this again. A Turkish made gun that will be obsolete and out of production in 3 years, and impossible to find parts for in 5-7 years, and will be a dead non working boat anchor in someones closet in 10 years.

Or, spend less money, and get a Mossberg 930. They generally work. They have factory support. You can get parts for it 25 years from now. I'd still prefer a Beretta, Benelli, or maybe even the new Remington V3, a Benelli clone.

If you want a Turkish made, cheap semi auto, then get one. For $250. Not almost $700, like the VR80.

https://grabagun.com/firearms/shotguns/semi-automatic-shotguns/armscor-88.html

An actual shotgun, from an actual shotgun company, if on a budget...
https://grabagun.com/mossberg-930-tact-12-18-5-3-matte-8-1.html?source=igodigital

I dont think you read what I wrote. Lets try this again. A Turkish made gun that will be obsolete and out of production in 3 years, and impossible to find parts for in 5-7 years, and will be a dead non working boat anchor in someones closet in 10 years.

Or, spend less money, and get a Mossberg 930. They generally work. They have factory support. You can get parts for it 25 years from now. I'd still prefer a Beretta, Benelli, or maybe even the new Remington V3, a Benelli clone.

If you want a Turkish made, cheap semi auto, then get one. For $250. Not almost $700, like the VR80.

https://grabagun.com/mossberg-930-tact-12-18-5-3-matte-8-1.html?source=igodigital

Admittedly I don't have experience with this particular shotgun, but I have to say, from what I know about the Turkish gun industry, it's not going anywhere any time soon.

In general, the Turkish gun companies are putting out good products for good prices.

I would say if someone was interested in getting one, prices will probably drop a bit, eventually, as they always do.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

Admittedly I don't have experience with this particular shotgun, but I have to say, from what I know about the Turkish gun industry, it's not going anywhere any time soon.

In general, the Turkish gun companies are putting out good products for good prices.

I would say if someone was interested in getting one, prices will probably drop a bit, eventually, as they always do.

Not to get political, but ongoing relations with Turkey could lead to export/import sanctions later on, making it even harder to get parts.

Why not something out of the Remmington 870/Mossberg 500 family?

Maverick 88 if on a budget.

I'd recommend the 500 Persuader

If you insist on magazine feed, get a 590M which is cheaper and 10round capacity.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...mp-action-shotgun-with-10-round-magazine

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

Not to get political, but ongoing relations with Turkey could lead to export/import sanctions later on, making it even harder to get parts.

If you insist on magazine feed, get a 590M which is cheaper and 10round capacity.

You need to re-read what the OP said.

He looked at one, in person. He said the build quality and fit/finish is very good.

Have you held one, yourself?

He also said it won't be used primarily for self-defense purposes - it'll be mostly for fun.

I'm quite sure if he wanted a conventional, vanilla-flavored shotgun like everybody and their brother have, he'd buy one. Pretty sure he already has at least one conventional shotgun, as this isn't a shotgun most would buy as their first shotgun.

As far as replacement parts, this is distributed through Rock Island Armory, which is a reputable company in the Philippines, a US protectorate. So, I'm sure they're going to make sure parts are available.

OP - Get one! I'm sure it'll be a heck of a lot of fun! Let us know how you like it and post a review.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

You need to re-read what the OP said.

He looked at one, in person. He said the build quality and fit/finish is very good.

Have you held one, yourself?

He also said it won't be used primarily for self-defense purposes - it'll be mostly for fun.

I'm quite sure if he wanted a conventional, vanilla-flavored shotgun like everybody and their brother have, he'd buy one. Pretty sure he already has at least one conventional shotgun, as this isn't a shotgun most would buy as their first shotgun.

As far as replacement parts, this is distributed through Rock Island Armory, which is a reputable company in the Philippines, a US protectorate. So, I'm sure they're going to make sure parts are available.

OP - Get one! I'm sure it'll be a heck of a lot of fun! Let us know how you like it and post a review.

thank you...

nope, not my fist shot gun, and not my last. Will I use it for home defense...no, will I use it for hunting...most likely, no...will it save my life, probably not...will it be a ton of fun...YES, and will it kill zombies...YES!

OK, I had to kid. Honestly, the feedback is good. I am again just looking for a toy. I work with a ton of friends who don't experience the liberties that we have (for now)(they are foreign), and I love to shoot at my house and take advantage of the freedom I do have for now. I was looking for another way to spread the joy of America and the freedom we have in firearms.
I was just looking to see if anybody on this forum had experience with this firearm...

Last edited:
Well, I am the most blessed man on this planet ;-)

My beautiful bride bought me one of these oh so sweet firearms for our 10th anniversary (yup, that is today!).

I will post picks and shooting impressions tomorrow. I wanted to make sure she had a wonderful day, so no time to shoot it yet. I will get out tomorrow though, for sure!!

We went for a 10 mile bike ride for our 10 years...no better way to spend the day!!!

80089061_10221590901538898_8041443551491391488_n.jpg

80107820_10221590902498922_2376856101564973056_n.jpg

81265210_10221590901338893_7121324581591187456_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back