Hastings filter efficiency ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed Hastings about the most frequently used filters here at work to see how they filter. This is their response.

Matt, thank you for your e-mail. These three filters are all 9.8 (nominal), 27 (absolute) micron ratings - pretty standard for many (but not all) lube filters.

27 absolute is probably better than most. Thanks for the info. I guess I still wonder why folks on here who are obviously interested in oil filters would not all get the Fram Ulltra??
Seems like a 20 micron filter (ultra) should cut wear at least in half.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30697/choose-oil-filter
[Linked Image from media.noria.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I emailed Hastings about the most frequently used filters here at work to see how they filter. This is their response.

Matt, thank you for your e-mail. These three filters are all 9.8 (nominal), 27 (absolute) micron ratings - pretty standard for many (but not all) lube filters.

Nominal efficiency means at 50% efficiency.
So 50% @ 9.8μ

Absolute efficiency means at 98.7% efficiency.
So 98.7% @ 27μ

Efficiency that's about in the middle of the efficiency spectrum.

Sorry but I'm still a little confused. So this means it "can" possibly stop particles 9.8 microns but it "will" stop 27 micron particles?

Sorry but I'm still a little confused. So this means it "can" possibly stop particles 9.8 microns but it "will" stop 27 micron particles?

It means it filters out 50% of all particles that are as small as 9.8 microns, and filters out 98.7% of all particles as small as 27 microns.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

It means it filters out 50% of all particles that are as small as 9.8 microns, and filters out 98.7% of all particles as small as 27 microns.

Would this equate to a higher flowing filter than a 20 micron at 98.7% filter?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Would this equate to a higher flowing filter than a 20 micron at 98.7% filter?

Filter flow performance (flow volume vs delta-p across the filter) is not always connected to the efficiency.

In other words, the falsehood that never seems to die - that being "more efficient oil filters are more flow restrictive" - isn't necessarily true, especially with full synthetic media.

Besides, the flow vs delta-p performance difference between good mainstream filters isn't big (especially with hot oil), and any good positive displacement oil pump isn't going to suffer, and will still supply the same oil flow volume in most cases.

So what would this micron rating reflect? This filter costs me $1.98

Screenshot_20191212-200402_Chrome.jpg

Who knows, it just says "Micron Rating is 15-20".

It's nebulous information.

You need a spec from a manufacturer that has a "xx% @ yy microns" type of format.

When only the micron rating is given, it is usually the nominal (50%) efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back