Santa Help Needed: Android Tablet or Chromebook for Internet Surf Only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife needs something bigger than her phone to surf the net with. I have a Lenovo 10" Android tablet for work that I let her try for ergonomics testing and etc. She liked it okay, however she originally mentioned a laptop/notebook computer to upgrade her surfing. She's basing that off a 2012 model Celeron laptop she's has to but it's a p.o.s. and slow as heck, and about to go kaput.

I'm torn between ordering a 10" Android tablet or a chromebook. I don't know much about chromebooks, but they sound like a fair choice for internet surfing and having a real keyboard.

Another idea: A reader like Kindle or whatever that does color and you can surf internet on it same as a tablet, but the reader features a paper-white reading experience and one that can load the most common forms of e-books, while being able to display PDF's in paper-white book-like format along with the mainline e-book formats.

Ho Ho Ho !!! Merry Christmas !!

I had a cheap celeron laptop with a SSD and 4gb memory running win10. It was pretty slow.

Got a new Asus 15 inch chromebook with 4gb memory and the 64gb MMC drive. It is very fast for web surfing, I use it nightly. Screen resolution is not great but for a $160 machine what can you expect.

If I need windows I just use chrome RDP to get into my windows machine.

One thing with the chromebook I haven't been successful with getting my printer to work over IP printing. Not a huge deal I just haven't messed with it enough.

Latest basic iPad $249 at bestbuy today. Will decimate any android tablet. Not sure if you want to spend that much not but the processing power in that thing is amazing.

If she is used to a physical keyboard, then a Chromebook is the way to go, IMO. Of course you could get a physical/BT keyboard for a tablet as well, but it's a bit more clunky to type on your lap.

Most Chromebooks I've seen have a dismal display. By dismal I mean a dim screen due to it's low nits and often a crummy 1366 x 768 resolution. Sucky 200-220 nits displays. It makes the user experience suck.
Than you have productivity to think about. You can browse the web the most efficient with a desktop and the least efficient with a smart phone. A laptop is the next best option while a tablet is between a laptop and a smartphone.
I would opt for a laptop and spend the money on something decent. A 13" MacBook pro has a 500 nits display and is one reason why the display looks so much better than anything else you'd see on the floor at a Best buy.

I love my Chromie; these things are the future.
You need to spend a minimum of about $350 to get something decent.
I have barely touched my iPad since I got my 1st Chromebook.

What size are you looking for?

Last edited:
I have been trying out a Lenovo S330 1080P chromebook. I love the thing! Great battery life, decent screen (for the price) and ChromeOS is extremely simple to use. If you want a consumption device, this is it!

I prefer it over my android tablet.

I have the Lenovo M Tab 10 and use it with the Logitech universal folio keyboard. It is a great solution for people who like to travel as it is lighter than most Chromebooks.

The audio quality of the Lenovo tablet is great and the keyboard folio also folds over to protect the tablet screen and does so without touching it. The batteries in the keyboard are good for two years under normal use, and the best part is they are user changeable.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/universal-folio-tablet-keyboard-case?crid=1221

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Most Chromebooks I've seen have a dismal display. By dismal I mean a dim screen due to it's low nits and often a crummy 1366 x 768 resolution. Sucky 200-220 nits displays. It makes the user experience suck.
Than you have productivity to think about. You can browse the web the most efficient with a desktop and the least efficient with a smart phone. A laptop is the next best option while a tablet is between a laptop and a smartphone.
I would opt for a laptop and spend the money on something decent. A 13" MacBook pro has a 500 nits display and is one reason why the display looks so much better than anything else you'd see on the floor at a Best buy.

Can confirm. I can't stand 1366x768 displays. My base model 13" MacBook Pro (non-touchbar) is incredibly quick and the screen is gorgeous. It's thin and light, but is so sturdy feeling it feels like you could use it as a hammer at the same time.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
My base model 13" MacBook Pro (non-touchbar) is incredibly quick and the screen is gorgeous. It's thin and light, but is so sturdy feeling it feels like you could use it as a hammer at the same time.

Just Do It ®

Originally Posted by skyactiv

Can confirm. I can't stand 1366x768 displays. My base model 13" MacBook Pro (non-touchbar) is incredibly quick and the screen is gorgeous. It's thin and light, but is so sturdy feeling it feels like you could use it as a hammer at the same time.

Thats because you are buying the 199 chromebook.. go buy a 199 macbook pro and see how it looks..............

They have plenty of nice chromebooks out there just not the super cheapo ones.

A base MacBook Pro is what, $1300? Macs are excellant, period.
Pay half kinda $$ for a Chromebook, like a Google Pixelbook Go and you will get similiar build quality.
Much better battery time and speed.

Last edited:
I have used Chromebooks for years. The cheap ones. The battery life is great. I guess I don't require the ultimate in screen resolution. We have had several 14 inch HP's which were good units. I currently have a 15 inch Acer. It is a a good unit. The additional 1 inch in size to me is not an improvement or upgrade. I think the 14 inch was perfect. I use my Chromebook at my recliner mostly. This thing is perfect for web surfing. If you have an android phone it should be a simple setup because you would have a google account. I would recommend one. Happy hunting.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

A base MacBook Pro is what, $1300? Macs are excellant, period.
Pay half kinda $$ for a Chromebook, like a Google Pixelbook Go and you will get similiar build quality.
Much better battery time and speed.

I didn't realize the newest Pro's were $1299. Paid $899 for mine from Best Buy... was originally $999 but a week later they dropped it another $100! A Pixelbook Go with an i5, 8Gb RAM, and 128 Gb SSD is $849 on googles site though

I didn't realize the newest Pro's were $1299. Paid $899 for mine from Best Buy... was originally $999 but a week later they dropped it another $100! A Pixelbook Go with an i5, 8Gb RAM, and 128 Gb SSD is $849 on googles site though

$899 for a MacBook Pro is a fantastic price; you did very well. That's the cheapest I have ever seen the Air and that was a student price.
I just bought the Pixelbook Go you mentioned. A solid Chromebook for sure but pricey.
The $650 base model is a better buy but still too high.
My ASUS C302 is just about perfect but is getting a little old.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Or you could get Surface Pro for around $500 and have a fully functional Windows machine.

Great for get virus and malware. I thought Win10 defender sorted that but my elderly relative needed a machine exorcism to get it off.

i will state I bought a MBP 13" 128gb SSD 8 gb ram that wife did not touch and 13 year daughter old took over.

She adores her $299 Black Friday last year iPad with 128GB. It is incredible for her purposes that sound similar to your wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back