Nu Finish - Second coat beneficial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know about looks wise if there is any improvement but if you put a second coat on it will bead and protect until next summer without issue . Love the stuff other than if you dont use a clean applicator you get a lot of little tiny white wax specs on it . Keep applicator and removal clothes clean .

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I used this on my gas stove. Then I did the roof hood and trunk lid of the VW .

One rainstoen and it was like it was never waxed.

VERY disappointed.

I would use Skyactive advice. I find wax re application only removes previous job.
Unless its a light Carnauba with no polish.

Maybe you should get a tin Of Mother's pure Carnauba.

You'll remember that smell from the old days!

But it wont last either.

Wrong , the stuff lasts forever . Will easily bead until next summer if you use two coats . I find a single coat will last thru the winter and many carwashes without issue .

Just use a proper good quality paint sealant and stay away from the plasticky chalky stuff in the orange bottle.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by PimTac
The fine abrasive properties of the product will remove the previous layer.

NuFinish is not abrasive. It uses chemical cleaners.

Then the solvents will dissolve the first layer as it adds the new one?

No. The back of the bottle recommends reapplying after a month for superior longevity.

Used it for years. Yes a 2nd coat is beneficial.

Last edited:
Its good stuff, less the smell. I used it my all my work cars for years and at one coat it did better than everything else I tried! No hype, just good results!!.

Last edited:
Just use a proper good quality paint sealant and stay away from the plasticky chalky stuff in the orange bottle.

There it is-can't have a NuFinish thread without this garbage^^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by CKN
I usually put on two coats 2 to 4 weeks after the first.

+1

I may add the second coat with only a few day in between.. sometimes its what life will allow me to spend time on the cars...

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
The fine abrasive properties of the product will remove the previous layer.

NuFinish is not abrasive. It uses chemical cleaners.

Then the solvents will dissolve the first layer as it adds the new one?

No. The back of the bottle recommends reapplying after a month for superior longevity.

Used it for years. Yes a 2nd coat is beneficial.

Yep......straight from the website:

DIRECTIONS
Wash and dry car > Apply sparingly with damp cloth to one area at a time with circular motions > Let dry to a haze > Wipe with clean dry cloth, turning frequently > For maximum protection, apply second coat in 30 days

When in doubt go to the source. Armchair quarterbacks are usually just that.

Last edited:
I've noticed NuFinish is a polarizing topic. I was skeptical at first given the hoaky made-for-tv commercials (back in the day). I'm sure there are other good products, maybe better. It has always worked well for me, but I am a detailing visigoth.

I have been using it for years. It does well on all my vehicles. Sometimes I add a second coat but the first one get's me through the spring and summer. Second coat for the fall and winter. Deep shine and brings out the color also. Just keep it off the black plastic trim or you will get some extra elbow time removing it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

There it is-can't have a NuFinish thread without this garbage^^^^^^^^^

So why do you take it personally? I don't like the stuff either, does that make me a bad person? I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't like the same products I like, but why should I care? I don't...

I bought/applied Nu Finish just the other day. I used to be faithful to the product. I applied it to half the roof of my dark grey truck on a cool day in sunlight. It would not come off! I thought it etched the paint but Dura Gloss 101 took it right off. The sides of the truck did well, applying it by section per instructions.
I have to use sun friendly products or wax at night. Looks like I am through with the NF. In the past I could wax the entire car in full hot sun with NF.

Been using it for at least 30-40 years.
My trick is using it in warm weather - in the shade. I buff it by hand, using worn, thinned-out 100% cotton t-shirts.
A 2nd coat is always welcomed.But a 2nd coat added durability should come weeks (not months) later.

My vehicles will still bead several months later. Might I add that I live in road-salted Lower Michigan too.
There's no product better for the money. I've seen my vehicles sometimes still bead a year later and my vehicles never see the inside of my garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back