Does anybody else have reactions to MSG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do. It gives me a terrible headache ,spotty vision and sweats. Someone was nice and gave us one of those popcorn tins at work. So Me not thinking ate some. I was sick most of the night with the reactions I have from MSG. Got to work this morning and looked at the ingredients on the can. I would have never guessed that Monosodium Glutimate would be the 3rd ingredient in pop corn! What a load of poo!

I can't even eat popcorn @ X-Mas time
frown.gif

my wife has several food allergies , so we constantly check labels and really cant eat out

Nope, not here..in fact I'm snorting msg as we speak!...‚...‚

*Disclaimer: no nostrils were injured in the process of this post; it was a joke....

MSG, as well as the artificial sweeteners do not bother me at all. They are good food additives that enhance flavor. Don't seem to bother anyone else that I know either.

I've had reactions to MSG for a long time. Upset stomach, weird pains in my back, jittery... somewhat like what I get if I drink certain types of wine. I wasn't sure what was causing it until i started to document what foods were giving me the problems (some frozen dinners, various canned stuff, some bagged snacks, etc) and started looking at the ingredients... MSG in all of them. I avoid it as much as I can anymore. Lately I tried a new frozen dinner (I take them to the office for lunch) and one in particular was always giving me fits an hour or two after I ate. Checked the ingredients... there it was, MSG. None of the other frozen or canned stuff I had been eating for lunch had any and I hadn't had any reactions to anything in a while, so I figure that is what was causing it. The reaction isn't terrible, more of an annoyance if anything, so if I accidently get some its not the end of the world.

many never tested food additives are classed as GRAS generally recognized as safe are NOT. even though some consumers have mild or no reaction to said additives they are NOT good for you!! many cheap additives are used because they are cheaper than the healthy item they are used to replace. take real sugar, although consumption must be minimized the high fructose corn syrup used to replace it is very bad but being much sweeter + cheaper manufacturers love it. another note about todays deceptive marketing, NATURAL has NO legal meaning + many things labeled natural are NOT good for you! everyone must look out for their own health as profits are all most manufacturers care about!! our SICKCARE system spends the most of any country BUT we are the MOST UNHEALTHY nation in the world!!

Last edited:
I think I am ok with MSG. But if I drink a diet cola with aspartamane it I will get a severe headache like someone has buried a hatchet in my head.

I've read some articles which indicate that this "sensitivity" is unfounded.
And yet I and many others swear it happens.

MSG or anything with corn, including corn syrup bothers my wife. I try to fine Chinese food without MSG but have heard "no msg no good" from the chef.

Last edited:
No but some artificial sweeteners do not agree with my gut. Studies are starting to confirm intestinal health influences overall health from pulmonary to mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back