2019 Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO - Amsoil Marine 10W-40

Originally Posted by jtwrace
Originally Posted by sunruh
Originally Posted by jtwrace
If they're testing to the ASTM standards and are accredited this shouldn't be an issue so I'm not sure what the issue is on their end.

thats a mighty big "IF" you put at the front there.

riddle me this:
why do some reports (from the same motor done dozens of times) show silver and others dont?
how could that actually vary?

or a voa shows no antimony yet the uoa does? and again...not every time.
so just randomly my motor sheds silver and antimony? really?

or better yet, the the above case...fuel dilution vary by 2.5%!!!

According to their site, they do test to those ASTM standards. I have no idea why elements should show up that you wouldn't expect. My fuel dilution miss was a big miss but at least it was corrected after I requested a retest. I never did get an answer on how/why it was missed.

WHY did you have to request a retest if these standards are followed?

hmmmm!!!

WHY???

doesnt that prove that they were NOT!

I no longer have access to those specific ASTM standards, but some don't dictate how the machines are calibrated or initialized (unless you are using ASTM specific equipment). They give repeatability and reproducibility data for the experiment as described but repeatability for a specific machine is entirely different. The lab is responsible for using standards to determine if the machines are reporting correctly. At least that is how it was when I ran UOA in college, we always had to make sure the machine operated properly and was reporting correct values.

So I'm not sure that giving a bunch of ASTM standards really addresses whether the machines are calibrated. It gives the methods for the tests but if the machine is reporting inaccurate values for carefully controlled tests then that's a problem.

Originally Posted by sunruh
and yet is that part of what you are paying for?

accurate results

Yes. Back when I was using AA to perform the analysis we had to check the machine calibration against a standard solution before each element, not just each sample.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I no longer have access to those specific ASTM standards, but some don't dictate how the machines are calibrated or initialized (unless you are using ASTM specific equipment). They give repeatability and reproducibility data for the experiment as described but repeatability for a specific machine is entirely different. The lab is responsible for using standards to determine if the machines are reporting correctly. At least that is how it was when I ran UOA in college, we always had to make sure the machine operated properly and was reporting correct values.

So I'm not sure that giving a bunch of ASTM standards really addresses whether the machines are calibrated. It gives the methods for the tests but if the machine is reporting inaccurate values for carefully controlled tests then that's a problem.

Yeah I'm fully aware of ASTM standards as I have to follow them daily and am part of creating some of them too. If BS doesn't follow them, yet mentions that's what they abide by then basically all results are useless. I highly doubt they run a lab that is that far in left field. Can mistakes happen? Sure. Should they happen? Not at this level. The good news is that anyone that knows what they're looking at would catch it.

But what I was saying was that they may follow the ASTM standard to the letter but if their machines are not calibrated properly then they are running precise tests on inaccurate machinery. Not all ASTM tests include the steps for calibration. Kind of like the Hubble Space Telescope mirror, precisely and nearly perfectly ground but against a faulty standard.

I'm glad you are involved in creating ASTM standards, weren't you the one who posted that motor oil thickens as the temperature increases?

Blackstone told me a year-and-a-half ago that even though my sample of Mobil 10w40 was lower than a 40 weight by half a point, it's stayed in grade because M1 4T starts as a light 40 weight in that particular oil. In a sense it started lower in the 40 weight range by more than it had fallen out of the bottom range of spec. Therefore the relative loss of viscosity kept it within grade.

That's just making guys feel good about their oil and not calling it like it is.

Here is the latest report from the WaveRunner. Sadly, I took a sample to send to BS and to Oil Analyzers and the one sent to OA hasn't been received yet after 2 weeks so I'm planning on not getting that one back. Really a bummer as I was curious to see how they would compare after the first go. I will do it again next time though.

This was Amsoil 10W-40 Marine with the OEM Yamaha Filter which was spotless this time. Their sodium content is confusing as I didn't have any makeup oil added as I noted on the sheet that you send in. I'm really starting to lose faith in them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Hi, for clarification did you add makeup oil or did not add makeup oil?

You said you "didn't have any makeup oil added as you noted on the sheet you send in".

Does that mean you noted you did not add any makeup oil or did you add makeup oil and they didn't catch that you had noted that?

If you didn't add any makeup on oil, and Amsoil doesn't use sodium, you have something getting in there somehow.

I did NOT add any oil.

Good news is that Oil Analyzers just got my sample so now we'll be able to see what they report.

Must be nice to be able to ride in Florida as much as you do. Our 2008 VX Cruiser has 55 hours...TOTAL! I'm interested what Oil Analyzers comes back with.

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
Must be nice to be able to ride in Florida as much as you do. Our 2008 VX Cruiser has 55 hours...TOTAL! I'm interested what Oil Analyzers comes back with.

I'd ride nearly 150-200 hrs this year if Covid didn't hit. Yeah year 'round riding is awesome!

Well, this is even more confusing...

[Linked Image]

Notes:
This ski is run WOT for hours at a time as I'm not the typical rider with short rides. I do mainly 150 - 200 miles per ride with much of it WOT. Compression is good, injectors are fine as noted. I took both samples with the extraction pump running continuously to make sure there wasn't another variable in testing. Last, these samples were taken after a long ride so oil temp was hot and the engine wasn't loading with raw fuel. I did this on purpose for this reason.

Back