My Forester CVT blew up

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 forester, with 53000 miles blew up and I mean blew up while doing 70 mph. Parts were hanging down under the car. Had it towed to dealer , luckily it's under the new extended warranty or it would have been $11k. I was planning to do a cvt fluid flush at 60k. I wonder if the new CVT will have the same problem or they fixed it.

Unless the fluid was low then it was not a fluid issue, just bad luck and/or over used CVT.

Make sure to get in writing what, if any, extra warranty the new CVT will have.

Sorry to hear of your problem, lucky you have the extended warranty. But $11K for a transmission? Are they made of gold?

According to some of the Subaru forums and the subreddit, I don't think Subaru's really got the CVT figured out yet, even in the newer MYs. How long you keep the car would depend on how much you like it, but there's a growing number of people who aren't planning on keeping their car past the 10 year/100k mile extended warranty.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Sorry to hear of your problem, lucky you have the extended warranty. But $11K for a transmission? Are they made of gold?

+1

There's no way a Subaru CVT costs 11 grand.

My Forester XT's CVT started having issues at 80kmiles, but I learned from the mechanic himself that they put the wrong CVT fluid in it at 60k. Can't prove or disprove it had anything to do with the failure, of course. They put the wrong fluid in it again after the repair but I caught them that time. Subaru had already extended the warranty on the unit to 100k, thank goodness. This is a different (high torque) CVT from the one used with the 2.5l, hence the different fluid.
I learned after this that a filter was added to the HT CVT design as a running change during the 2015 model year and that it cannot be retrofitted to older units...I'm glad they are making improvements, but it doesn't help my 2014 any. Not sure if the CVT for the 2.5l had any similar changes.
Guess we are all in with Subie CVTs, 3 different designs in 3 cars. Have to hope for the best and keep on the dealerships about using the correct fluids...I keep telling myself I'm going to change my own at 120kmiles, we will see if I actually do it!

Before people jump in to bash Subaru (probably with some justification), I will mention I had a repair to my Toyota AWD system (RAV6) just after 60kmiles for which I had to pay the substantial bill. I'm sure some of it is me, if I buy a car with a high output engine option I am going to make use of it!!!

My fluid on my nissan jatco was looking muddy at 28 K so wen in for 30K service I had the dealer do a pan drain and fill.

I beat the devil out of that trans and saw no problems.

From what I've seen on youtube rebuild forums the valvebody gets mudded up with excessive belt and sheave wear-in particulate and then looses functionality causing failure

My Nissan Rogue was easy to service with an under-hood, tall, locking DS tube and a nice big drain plug on the pan.

Now, Fuji/Subaru have so many fill and check and drain ports all over their transaxle you likely have techs putting CVT fluid in the hypoid and 75W90 in the CVT.

I would recommend a drain and fill early at 15-20K then 60K there after. I have read you will loose the extended warranty on the Fuji CVT if you do maintenance on it. That is insane as it has a severe service maintenance recommendation. I would have to read the service bulletin myself to believe this. In fact I'm going to search for it right now.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
There's no way a Subaru CVT costs 11 grand.
I'm sure that includes a brand new trans since even his case is not usable,a core charge,any coolers in the system including the radiator as it has a trans cooler built into it,labor etc. $11k sounds about right.

No shops around here will rebuilt a cvt. They source brand new from the dealer.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I'm sure that includes a brand new trans since even his case is not usable,a core charge,any coolers in the system including the radiator as it has a trans cooler built into it,labor etc. $11k sounds about right.

Even so, too rich for my blood.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Unless the fluid was low then it was not a fluid issue, just bad luck and/or over used CVT.

How do you overuse a CVT? Constant on/of throttle application, so that it runs up/down constantly?

My CVT was probably a ways from failing spectacularly when I took it in...the only issue I noticed was that it seemed hesitant to move in reverse. Then the car threw a CEL and I shuddered when I saw the codes were transmission related (thank you Torque), but I drove it maybe 30 miles to the dealer with no issues.
I know that I didn't get a new unit, don't remember what was replaced inside the CVT but I'm sure I have the paperwork somewhere.
I (stupidly) didn't think to ask about the CVT fluid until after I picked the car up, and the SA told me "it was as green going in as the old fluid was coming out".
I said "the high torque CVT fluid is orange."
15 minutes later, a mechanic called me and said "bring your car back in as soon as you possibly can."

Oh I'm sure it does include a brand new unit, coolers, etc. I'm talking about a CVT being 11 grand when a new ZF from BMW installed at a dealer is probably a similar price. I know someone who had their transmission replaced in a newer Durango at the dealership. The total bill was somewhere around 8,000.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
My CVT was probably a ways from failing spectacularly when I took it in...the only issue I noticed was that it seemed hesitant to move in reverse. Then the car threw a CEL and I shuddered when I saw the codes were transmission related (thank you Torque), but I drove it maybe 30 miles to the dealer with no issues.
I know that I didn't get a new unit, don't remember what was replaced inside the CVT but I'm sure I have the paperwork somewhere.
I (stupidly) didn't think to ask about the CVT fluid until after I picked the car up, and the SA told me "it was as green going in as the old fluid was coming out".
15 minutes later, a mechanic called me and said "bring your car back in as soon as you possibly can."

33.gif

The dealership ignorance is strong here.

But much of the data shows that CVTs are leaving owners satisfied. In J.D. Power's latest Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS), which goes back three model years (2011, in this case), CVT vehicles had the lowest rate of engine/transmission problems.

Oh I'm sure it does include a brand new unit, coolers, etc. I'm talking about a CVT being 11 grand when a new ZF from BMW installed at a dealer is probably a similar price. I know someone who had their transmission replaced in a newer Durango at the dealership. The total bill was somewhere around 8,000.

I was thinking about $8K, new, installed. I'm also thinking a new ZF from a BMW is more than a CVT Subaru transmission, so $8K sounds fair for that.

CVT is a failed concept. No durability, no suitability to severe service, only marginal fuel economy advantages to current automatics 6 speed through 10 and none of the serious duty cycle capabilities of the 6, 8, 9, and 10 speed units out there.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

33.gif

The dealership ignorance is strong here.

I was SO frustrated, but I think part of my problem is that the Forester XT is a pretty rare bird around here.
I would guess they might have done better with a WRX with the 2.0l DIT and HT CVT, but I think the dealership mechanics just have in mind that Forester=0W20 and standard green CVT fluid since that's what 99% of them use.

Oh man,
I also have a 2015 forester and I sometimes worry about this.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I would recommend a drain and fill early at 15-20K then 60K there after. I have read you will loose the extended warranty on the Fuji CVT if you do maintenance on it. That is insane as it has a severe service maintenance recommendation. I would have to read the service bulletin myself to believe this. In fact I'm going to search for it right now.

Good Luck with that. I have called most dealerships around me (close to the OP as well) and nobody would do that telling me that the fluid is lifetime. When you call them out on 'lifetime', they tell me that its a guideline from Subaru not to change the fluid.
My local mechanic is willing to change at 50K but it worries me that he changes the fluid and then CVT goes kaput, Subaru won't give me the stated replacement.

From what I have heard, most failed CVTs get sent to Japan to figure out what went wrong. Since OP's blew up, doubt they will send that. Most replacement CVTs are refurbs, about ~8k out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back