Recommendations for 5W-40 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2019 ram 3500 with 6.7 high output Cummins and looking for recommendations for oils for it, and reasons for the recommendation.

Also is 15,000 miles really an acceptable oil change interval or will that be the death of my. Expensive engine

Last edited:
Did they give you an owners manual? I couldn't find an owners manual for the Cummins on the web. Ram has had some type of connection with Shell in the past. I would vote for Shell Rotella T6 15W40. It has the Cummins approvals.So do some others.

That's the 1000 ft lb engine, correct? You really should find out what the owner's manual says. This is no girly man engine.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I do not have a diesel engined
But I do think I would use Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck as they are full synthetic
Both those oils have been around and used by many diesel owners
I looked up your engine and it does state 15000 mile change interval and it has a 12 quart capacity with filter change
That is a lot of oil and will likely hold up well for that interval. I might even choose oil based on sale price since it requires 12 quarts
In order for you to be sure your engine oil will go that interval, you might consider an oil analysis at 10000 miles to check

Whichever HDEO in 5w40 you can find on sale or rebate at the time. Mine has never shown preference either way. I'd be more concerned about what filter to run.

Last edited:
I've used the vavoline premium blue in both 5w40 and 15w40 in my Ford 6.7 with no issues

I think the manual now reflects 30 weight oils. Cummins has approved CES20081/86 30 weight oils.

In my 2017 with the ISB6.7, I run semi synthetic 10w30. The oil and engine do just fine. Don't over think it.

I run the full 15k interval and will be running it longer in the future. Soot is steady at 0.58% and fuel was never an issue. No shear, barely any additive depletion. 15k is nothing on the ISB6.7 and I would guess with the new 6.7.

Thanks to the people and resources on this site, I found an oil that is not only I expensive, its licensed CES20086, cold flow similar to 5w40 and works great.

Also just noticed your in Canada. I use PetroCan Duron. Easy to find, priced competitively and its Canadian. At the time I researched it, Duron SHP 10w30 had better cold flow than Rotella T5, Citgo and Motomaster 10w30.

Also I run the truck all year with that oil , lots of cold starts, idling and some heavy pulls. My used oil analysis are showing that the engine does not care what oil is in the sump, nor what operating conditions it's in.

Yeah unfortunately not enough of Canada stays above the temperature for 10w-30 oil. I can basically guarantee my truck will see -40 every year and as such I have to run the 5w-40 At least for the first five years for the warranty

Originally Posted by Rovingcowboy
Yeah unfortunately not enough of Canada stays above the temperature for 10w-30 oil. I can basically guarantee my truck will see -40 every year and as such I have to run the 5w-40 At least for the first five years for the warranty

At that temperature don't rule out 0W40, Kendall SHP Arctic has an very low pour point.
https://www.kendallmotoroil.com/product/shp-arctic/

It's only about 3 long weekends I'll be in that cold, 3 weeks to 2 months of the year it's more like -10C and the other 10-11 months is above freezing. Plus there's that whole have to use spec for warranty bs

Where are you located? I know a few guys that run 15w40 conventional all year on the prairies. From tractors to trucks. One in particular uses 15w40 exclusively in his 2013 or 2012 F250. Never shredded and only uses the block heater. Truck starts and has run without issue for close to 150,000km now.

While 15w40 is not optimal in extreme cold, it's not an instant death knell either.

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
Whichever HDEO in 5w40 you can find on sale or rebate at the time. Mine has never shown preference either way. I'd be more concerned about what filter to run.

Filters will be fleetguard nanopore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back