Tesla Cybertruck

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by Vikas
1200 miles, 2 fuel stops. NOT counting the initial *before* leaving and NOT counting the *after* reaching home fuel stops, we are talking about 400 miles on a tank of gas. At very aggressive 68 mph *actual average* speed, that is 6 hours of non-stop driving until the next fuel stop. Are you towing? I say "it does not compute" unless you use bottle to expel your bodily fluids :)

A little bit of exaggeration?

No exaggeration at all. Care to come along?

I do this professionally. I work on aircraft in various locations and carry heavy supplies, including aircraft jacks, hydraulic mules, power carts, tool boxes and so on. The truck is rarely empty. Sometimes it's towing a 5000 pound glider trailer. The time constraints severely limit my options. That spoiler actuator is not going to change itself and the owner won't wait. If I were doing this for fun, I'd take my time.

2011 F150 Ecoboost, 3.5L, 18MPG, 36 gal tank, left lane only, with help from Waze and Valentine 1.

The EV's cant compete yet. In fact, I've yet to have one pass me on the highway. And the Tesla truck will add 9 hours to a one way East coast trip.

Where do you get 5 passengers that never need to go to the bathroom, or want to eat anything?

I've only got one kidney filling my bladder and I still need to pee at least once on a 6 hour trip.

For discussion sake - Lets say it's normal for you - would you say thats how most people travel?

I took a 7 hour trip yesterday stopped twice - once to fuel and choke down a burger, once to p.

UD

Last edited:
An empty bottle per passenger :)

To be fair to CuJet, he is traveling alone for work and is NOT carrying passengers and one *can* definitely drive straight for 5 hours if the liquid intake is kept strategically low.

Everything CuJet says is possible and valid but NOT ALL OF IT AT THE SAME TIME :) You don't get 18mpg traveling at 95mph while pulling 5000lbs for 6 hours at a stretch. That is where the exaggeration comes in.

A bit of misunderstanding. I don't go 95mph willingly. Only if traffic demands it, as it did, for a time, on thanksgiving traffic to Jax. Most of the time, my speeds simply match left lane traffic speeds. In FL, that seems to be pretty fast. In TX, it's stupid fast.

And always figured they will struggle in soft material when the rolling resistance is significant. Problems to solve.

This is why the Volt makes a good tow rig

It works electrically then becomes a hybrid when you run out of juice, I know several folks who have beefed up the bumper and suspension to tow camping trailers, boats, one guy towed his Jeep cross country when he moved.
Said the volt got better mileage towing the Jeep than the other way around

I talked to a guy who had a Volt and a huge offshore boat at his bay house. The boat was up on slings in his private boat lift. Asked him how he tows the boat ? Said he gets it picked up by the marine dealer since he only takes it out of the lift for them to work on it - and that is pretty rare. Many would own a 2500/3500 in his case … but this guy has a pretty clever way himself.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

It works electrically then becomes a hybrid when you run out of juice, I know several folks who have beefed up the bumper and suspension to tow camping trailers, boats, one guy towed his Jeep cross country when he moved.

Once the battery in the Volt goes flat, you're not going to tow much with the 85 HP gasoline engine and you're not going to get far with the 9-gallon gas tank.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Originally Posted by Rmay635703

Once the battery in the Volt goes flat, you're not going to tow much with the 85 HP gasoline engine and you're not going to get far with the 9-gallon gas tank.

My fathers very old Pickup was all of 65hp, seemed to pull plenty.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Yeah, my friend Dave's '46 Dodge with the flattie pulled my brkoen down cars lotsa times...

It was geared for it, and was perhaps a bit heavier than the Volt.
If I recall correctly, GM did not recommend towing with the Volt.
Volt Owner Manual page 9-57: "The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer or another vehicle."

Last edited:
After looking at the cybertruck all other trucks look so dated and boring. Only thing the cybertruck needs is a better interior dash. Needs more guages and screens and buttons.
Id be interested in having one.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Yeah, my friend Dave's '46 Dodge with the flattie pulled my brkoen down cars lotsa times...

It was geared for it, and was perhaps a bit heavier than the Volt.
If I recall correctly, GM did not recommend towing with the Volt.
Volt Owner Manual page 9-57: "The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer or another vehicle."

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthrea...#/topics/4937?page=5&gid=1&pid=3

07A897CD-939E-40DB-A0B0-A536078E573E.jpeg

Allegedly the Cybertruck windshield.
B4D7FC7E-AD01-447D-BD8F-1F77758C5684.jpeg

Match those notches on the sides with this prototype.

B944BD91-055B-403C-8BD9-98CBFA0EEB00.jpeg

Source: Skip to 1:23

A month or so ago the different configuration options were removed from the website. Now it appears a new 4-motor version will be the first one produced. Gotta match Rivian’s 4 motors I assume. 1,200 HP? 1,300 HP? Wild.

3D294B90-4B89-462B-96D0-DBA5F7377D8D.jpeg

Back