3.5 Ecoboost issues solved for 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks - looking for some thoughts on a 2018 Ford 3.5 EB, considering one as a replacement for Ms JLTD's 2008 Jeep.

From my reading online, I believe that they've ironed out all the issues and the engine is good to go.
(except perhaps for the water pump inside the block?)

Would appreciate any comments or knowledge.

Scotty Kilmer had a great segment on that water pump🤦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸ $1500 to change a water pump sure would bring tears to my eyes and that's only if you catch it before the water trashes the block. If that went away I'd call it fixed otherwise it's just a disaster delayed...... just my 2 cents worth. My buddy has one though and loves the thing

Other than Water Pumps & Timing Chains.....The FWD 3.5L EB is a good engine!

DI puts soot in the oil, The oil in a boosted engine is already stressed.....This leads to accelerated timing chain wear! High quality synthetic oil at 5,000 mile intervals will help a lot.

Cracked spark plugs are more common in the F150 version....But I've seen it in the FWD versions as well. It's comical that the old Autolite sourced plugs never had a cracking issue....But the NGK sourced plugs do.

These engines HAVE a external weep path for the water pump....Don't ignore coolant drips OR coolant smells. Water pump labor on a '18 Explorer calls for 12.4 Hours so it's not cheap!

I just watched a video about the F-150 version of the 3.5 Ecoboost this morning. The presenter mentioned that in the 2018+ F-150s, there was a revision to the timing chain components so that a second tensioner was added to remove slack from the chain more equally. I'm not sure if that translates to the engine in the Flex, but that seems like a significant upgrade to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOBsDgdUEyM

I've got an ‘18 3.5 EB in my F150 and so far it's great! I've only got 8k miles on it but so far so good. Of course mine is in a truck but the engine is pretty much the same excepting the water pump location. You'll love the power.

The engine in that video is a gen 1. The gen 2 has two separate chains, one for each bank. The mechanic in the video is right; regular 5k oil changes with a good filter is one of the most important things you can do for longevity. That plus drive them. If you try to hyper mile an Ecoboost engine it won't like it. Drive it like a performance truck - Ecoboost motors thrive when being worked.

Somewhere around there (2017-2018?), Ford went to a hybrid DI / PI design, and (as mentioned above) replaced one super-long timing chain with 2 shorter ones. These were important improvements. I assume the PI will mitigate the intake valve carbon buildup issue. I don't know if fuel dilution is mitigated. I'm still looking to see if there have been any changes to the ignition coils, or whether that has even been an issue for awhile.

The second generation eco showed up in the f150 for 2017. Dual timing chains and both types of fuel injection started with gen 2 along with a 10hp and 50lb/ft increase in torque. That said, I don't think the flex ever got the gen 2 version

133k on an EB in a 2010 SHO. In 2 weeks it will be 10 years old.

Oil changed by the book at around 7.5k. Most of its life at the dealer. Only since 70k or so did I do them at home with synthetic. Still the original water pump and chains. They (the chains) will rattle occasionally on a cold start if it sits a long time (days or more).

According to some it would be sooted up, have coolant in the oil, and be dead by now. It still runs like a top.

I'd not hesitate to buy another SHO, Flex, or Explorer with this engine. It's been rock solid for me outside of a knock sensor under warranty. One of the most reliable vehicles I've owned.

Last edited:
Like itguy08 I have a gen 1. It has ~115,000. No noise, dependable truck. I do about 10k oil changes. Done a uoa every time. It was worked real hard up until about 80k now it's just a grocery getter.

Probably a great engine to own when its under warranty. Good luck on labor costs outside of warranty.

Well now that the 5.0 has the plasma cylinder liners in 2018, the 3.5 EB would be my F150 engine of choice. What i really want is F150 with the GM 6.2 V8 but that would be too awesome and therefore not permitted.

How about Ford's new pushrod 7.3 gasser in that F150...won't happen, but it would be fun.

Originally Posted by dareo
Well now that the 5.0 has the plasma cylinder liners in 2018, the 3.5 EB would be my F150 engine of choice. What i really want is F150 with the GM 6.2 V8 but that would be too awesome and therefore not permitted.

Ford 7.3 is going to be sweet. Worth getting an F250 over the 150 just for that. Unless you drive a lot and have to get the better MPG on the 3.5 EB.

Ford has DI and intercooled turbos down to an art form at this point. Worry not. Solid as granite and good for the long haul.

Originally Posted by cptbarkey
Probably a great engine to own when its under warranty. Good luck on labor costs outside of warranty.

There is nothing wrong with the 3.5 eco. Then again I recall some members here have an agenda against owning pickup trucks and more have an illogical bias against the Ecoboost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back