Mid-size SUVs for exploring/DD

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
We're going to change things up a bit, sell the Samurai and trade the RAV on a 4wd something. Get down to 2 vehicles but still be able to go exploring off highway with the dogs along. Budget up to $20k. This will be a daily driver and we'd like to go to mid-size instead of compact. One thing we need is easy access to the back seat as one of the dogs has a bad back leg and has to be helped in. Don't like the car seating in the 4Runner, not paying the FJ premium, Xterra back seat access is pretty tight, 4 door Wranglers are crazy priced. Grand Cherokees and RWD Explorers a possibility I guess. The less tech the better. We don't rock crawl and I turn around if I'm not sure I won't get stuck, just don't need that adventure anymore. We like to travel to geographic features, petroglyph sites, ruins, etc around the state.

My question is are there any sleeper SUVs that have better off road ability than you'd think? Any of the FWD/AWD crossovers, Highlander, Pilot etc got any game? YouTube vids of some fool taking a new Cherokee through a mud hole twice don't impress me much.

The WK2 Grand Cherokee's (2011-present) do have excellent AWD systems, I think some even had an electronically locking rear diff, otherwise they use the brakes to simulate one like most other vehicles. Never got stuck in my Durango, which used the QuadraTrac II AWD system. 2011-2013 v6 models used the NAG1/W5A580 5 speed trans, 5.7 models got the 545RFE/65RFE, in 2014 both got the 8 speed.

Originally Posted by CARJ
100 Series Land Cruiser.

Interesting but $20k gets 20+ years old and/or 150k plus miles within 500 miles of me. Not looking to replace the Samurai hobby with an LC hobby.

IDK how is 2nd gen Highlander off road wise? It has 50:50% split. I never owned that vehicle but from what I have heard, AWD system in that HL was more robust than what is now in HL/Sienna.

You mentioned you don't like the seating in the 4Runner, but there are 5 generations, and the newer ones are more comfortable. And the rear window rolls down in all generations, which dogs love.

I just recently sold my 22 year old 4Runner. I wouldn't have hesitated to drive it anywhere. Reliable as the day is long.

Originally Posted by 02SE
You mentioned you don't like the seating in the 4Runner, but there are 5 generations, and the newer ones are more comfortable. And the rear window rolls down in all generations, which dogs love.

I just recently sold my 22 year old 4Runner. I wouldn't have hesitated to drive it anywhere. Reliable as the day is long.

How much GX470's are going for? Considering his affinity for off roading, I am thinking two speed transfer case might be good idea.

GMT800 (00-06) Tahoe/Yukon. Yes it's larger and worse on gas but way under your budget, dirt cheap to maintain, and so you'll have lots of money left over for gas.

Last edited:
Lexus GX.

Take a 4Runner, add in a lot of luxury bits, all the offroad stuff Toyota's got in the arsenal, a bulletproof, silk smooth Lexus V8 and add a price which is sometimes cheaper than a 4Runner (because no one knows what a GX is) and you've got a [censored] of a deal for a legit, tough 4wd.

I've seriously considered getting one myself. They're an amazing deal used. Only problem is the MPGs suck, but I don't think you're really too worried about that if you're buying this sort of vehicle.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
The WK2 Grand Cherokee's (2011-present) do have excellent AWD systems, I think some even had an electronically locking rear diff, otherwise they use the brakes to simulate one like most other vehicles. Never got stuck in my Durango, which used the QuadraTrac II AWD system. 2011-2013 v6 models used the NAG1/W5A580 5 speed trans, 5.7 models got the 545RFE/65RFE, in 2014 both got the 8 speed.

I had a 2010 Qd2 hemi Jeep. Dont do it. Break break break.

GX470 first choice
Highlander (non hybrid) 2nd choice
4 Runner 3rd choice

No other choices
thumbsup2.gif

The Subaru Ascent has been selling very well, but you might not like the 2.4l DIT as a new tech kind of risk, though.
Subaru's AWD systems have been good for us for on road use in hilly/snowy New England...the AWD in my old RAV4 was honestly pretty crude and I had to be a lot more careful with it. I'm sure other Toyota SUVs probably have better AWD and I'd guess even the RAV4 must have been improved since 2006.
Subaru heard the customers complaining about the recommended use of premium in their 2.0l DIT and the 2.4 is fine with 87...my wife's new Legacy GT has this engine and she claims she would not have bought it if Subaru said it needed premium. She is coming from a FWD Avalon which I thought had terrible torque steer and she is finally really getting why AWD makes sense for us (she already had a hint from driving our daughter's Impreza occasionally in the winter)….we have quite the hill to make it up to get home to our neighborhood and it gets plowed pretty late as the road basically goes nowhere past our circle.
Haven't been in an Ascent so I have no personal impressions to share...

Originally Posted by Gebo
GX470 first choice
Highlander (non hybrid) 2nd choice
4 Runner 3rd choice

No other choices
thumbsup2.gif

There is, I forgot, VW Touareg 2nd generation. Serious AWD and medium off road capability, bulletproof VR6, 8 speed transmission, not bad mpg.
While GX470 has some serious capability, I learned on my Prado (same model as GX) that suspension (control arms) are not that durable once you start venturing out of pavement.

2014 Grand Cherokee would be on my list. I'd also look for a really good deal in both price and condition on a GMC Yukon SLT or Denali, new enough to have the 6 speed auto. They may be bigger than you need but the LS based engines are excellent.

Subaru comes to mind. Maybe the B9/Tribeca might suit your needs.

The older Pathfinders you might like, possibly the Jeep Liberty

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Subaru comes to mind. Maybe the B9/Tribeca might suit your needs.

The older Pathfinders you might like, possibly the Jeep Liberty

The editor of car magazine I worked for managed to break frame on previous gen. Pathfinder with 2.5 diesel engine during off road testing (nothing too demanding).

I'd also gladly pickup a 5.7 Sequoioaoaoiaoa or however you spell it. A 2013 Land Rover LR4 is nice inside and reliability is better than you think with the ford based 5.0 V8. 2013 they had the timing chain issue eliminated as well. You'd be signing up for more risk in the LR4 of course.

What i like to do is find as many vehicles that could work, then i scour for the right deals. In a way the market picks my cars for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back