14 Grand Caravan Broken Exhaust Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
Have had an 14 Grand Caravan for about 3 years now and it has been short tripped pretty hard scooting 3 kids to school and grocery runs. It has been misfiring for about 3 months and finally CEL came on with a cylinder 2 misfire. The dealer called and said its a broken exhaust valve and a new head is on 1 month backorder. I am pretty disappointed this happened with only 68k miles, and likely to dump it this upcoming summer for a Sienna. Fortunately I spent the cash on an extended warranty and its covered. We are borrowing another vehicle and the family isnt in much downtime, but jeeze I am not impressed.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. Is that part of a recall, even though you have an extended warranty? I hope my 2015 doesn't develop the same issue.

Are you going to buy a new Sienna or used?

Last edited:
I scoured the internet trying to find other people with a similar issue, and found quite a few but not enough in my judgement to say to avoid the engine. It is not a part of the 12-13 recall either, but that may explain why it is taking a month for the dealer to source a new cylinder head. I am definitely aiming for a 2-3 year old sienna with the newer engine and 8 speed transmission which also seems to have taken a chunk of depreciation. I bought a 2011 Sienna new and gifted it to a family member and it has had zero issues.

Originally Posted by cptbarkey
Have had an 14 Grand Caravan for about 3 years now and it has been short tripped pretty hard scooting 3 kids to school and grocery runs. It has been misfiring for about 3 months and finally CEL came on with a cylinder 2 misfire. The dealer called and said its a broken exhaust valve and a new head is on 1 month backorder. I am pretty disappointed this happened with only 68k miles, and likely to dump it this upcoming summer for a Sienna. Fortunately I spent the cash on an extended warranty and its covered. We are borrowing another vehicle and the family isnt in much downtime, but jeeze I am not impressed.

Ya there was a known head issue with this V6 I found while researching jeeps when I was looking to purchase one.

I scoured the internet trying to find other people with a similar issue, and found quite a few but not enough in my judgement to say to avoid the engine. It is not a part of the 12-13 recall either, but that may explain why it is taking a month for the dealer to source a new cylinder head. I am definitely aiming for a 2-3 year old sienna with the newer engine and 8 speed transmission which also seems to have taken a chunk of depreciation. I bought a 2011 Sienna new and gifted it to a family member and it has had zero issues.

Thanks for the info.

I am pretty disappointed this happened with only 68k miles, and likely to dump it this upcoming summer for a Sienna.

Smart man. Once you've had a Toyota, you won't miss the Chrysler garbage. I have a family member that works for FCA and he won't even own one. Telling.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
I am pretty disappointed this happened with only 68k miles, and likely to dump it this upcoming summer for a Sienna.

Smart man. Once you've had a Toyota, you won't miss the Chrysler garbage. I have a family member that works for FCA and he won't even own one. Telling.

I bought a Toyota for their "legendary" reliability and it left me stranded... but all the "Chrysler garbage" in my family just keeps on going and going
coffee2.gif

I bought a Dodge van for work a few years ago. I got it new at a great price so I bought it and expected eventual problems. I was shocked. One of the most reliable low problem/maintenance vehicles in my fleet.

Last edited:

LMAO!!! Yeah, once you've driven a toaster, you'll never go back, sweet Jesus the Toyota fanboys need to get a room
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
Is the head ruined? If it's just a valve have a machine shop fix it.

It's under warranty, it's not his problem.

Originally Posted by HangFire

Exactly. I know they had head issues with the Pentastar early on in the engine's life, sounds like he just missed the recall cut-off but he's under warranty, so not really a problem other than the wait.

Stuff Happens.....Nothing's perfect. You're getting your money's worth out of the extended warranty & most Chrysler techs have done this job so many times that they're really good at it!!

Seems like a knee jerk reaction to dump a vehicle that's getting repaired with a updated part without a big hit to your wallet?

Toyota isn't perfect.....Not to mention the issues with the 8 speed auto.

A little confused with the stayed symptoms, a dropped valve usually causes catastrophic damage. Evidently the valve just suspended in the guide somehow. Perhaps you could let us know what the dealer says about it.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Stuff Happens.....Nothing's perfect. You're getting your money's worth out of the extended warranty & most Chrysler techs have done this job so many times that they're really good at it!!

Seems like a knee jerk reaction to dump a vehicle that's getting repaired with a updated part without a big hit to your wallet?

Toyota isn't perfect.....Not to mention the issues with the 8 speed auto.

Wisdom speaks.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Dinoburner

A little confused with the stayed symptoms, a dropped valve usually causes catastrophic damage. Evidently the valve just suspended in the guide somehow. Perhaps you could let us know what the dealer says about it.

The failure mode for the early heads per Pentastars describes the failure it sounds like the OP has experienced, as it affects cylinder #2 valve seat(s):

Originally Posted by pentastars
In 2012, dealers started to report that some V6 engines had cylinder head failures; the main issue seems to have been overheating of the #2 cylinder's valve seats. The problem made itself known through the "check engine" light, and did not cause accidents or stalling. A fix (hardened valve guides and seats) was engineered and entered production in June. It now appears that a number of 2013 model-year cars and trucks were also affected, indicating perhaps a second change.

Originally Posted by HangFire

I did not know it was under warranty still.

Not buying the load you're selling.

I'm not surprised. You Toyota diehards can't accept anything negative about your precious brand at all.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

LMAO!!! Yeah, once you've driven a toaster, you'll never go back, sweet Jesus the Toyota fanboys need to get a room
crackmeup2.gif

All hail the toaster!
02.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back