Mazda 3 i-ACTIV AWD diagonal test

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fuel economy of the new 3 is kinda mediocre and it looks like they dropped the 2.0 so its just the big 4 cylinder in everything. Handsome car though.

I had a 2nd gen GT sedan (6 spd manual) and briefly a 3rd gen GT sedan (6 speed auto). They were both amazing cars and I thoroughly enjoyed my ownership with both of them.

Why not put it in the 6 ? Why make options in the 3 that you can't have in the 6 like a manual and sunroof? Makes me mad and it means I won't buy another Mazda. Even if I don't get a manual transmission.

Could my wife's 2015 Audi A4 quattro which has a stick do that? I know zilch about the different AWD systems.

I test drove one last week. Very nice small car. I may go back and get one after Jan 1.

I'm facing the prospect of having to commute into the belly of DC traffic every day for six months starting in Jan/Feb, so I'm looking around for a commuter car with stop and go cruise control. The 3 fits the bill and it's available with AWD. It's at the top of my list right now.

The seats are very comfortable. Mazda put a lot of design effort into the seats.

Seems like AWD system have come far along in last 5-10 years from previous half baked FWD+. Car companies are narrowing the gap previously with inexpensive Subaru and amazing systems put out by luxury makers.

Not sure it will saw too many buyers off Subaru still yet but a nice alternate for sure.

Originally Posted by E150GT
Why not put it in the 6 ? Why make options in the 3 that you can't have in the 6 like a manual and sunroof? Makes me mad and it means I won't buy another Mazda. Even if I don't get a manual transmission.

The scuttlebutt says that a awd Mazda6 is in the cards.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by PimTac
The awd system uses a computer that makes 200 decisions per second

.....aka equivalent to a 1985 IBM PC.

Yeah, and has round wheels...aka equivalent to a Roman chariot.

It is advertising thing. There is nothing about this AWD that is special. Is it better than Toyota or Honda? Possibly. Is it ging to do job? Yes it will. Is it in the class of Subaru, Audi, BMW etc? No.

Originally Posted by edyvw

It is advertising thing. There is nothing about this AWD that is special. Is it better than Toyota or Honda? Possibly. Is it ging to do job? Yes it will. Is it in the class of Subaru, Audi, BMW etc? No.

It's better than Audi. Same style system (clutch connecting front to rear, allowing 0-100% lockup for up to 50% torque transfer), but more sensitive (200x per second sample rate)and much quicker to engage(electromagnetic vs hydraulic clutch actuation). Not sure 100% on the BMW. How aggressive and so forth and the environmental stimulus required for what % lockup is variable, sure, but mechanically the Audi system is a luddite, and I don't think belongs in the same league as some of the others mentioned. They've tuned it great, but it's like the solid rear axle in the 2011 Mustang Boss. Super impressive in what it can accomplish given what it is...but it's time to step into this century and stop using hydraulics to activate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

It's better than Audi. Same style system (clutch connecting front to rear, allowing 0-100% lockup for up to 50% torque transfer), but more sensitive (200x per second sample rate)and much quicker to engage(electromagnetic vs hydraulic clutch actuation). Not sure 100% on the BMW. How aggressive and so forth and the environmental stimulus required for what % lockup is variable, sure, but mechanically the Audi system is a luddite.

You are talking about Haldex system. That is VW basically, and yes it can be found in Audi, and proved to be very good. Not sure why would Mazda system be better nor it is.
I am talking about Torsen differential in Audi, which Audi is known for. And that is different world compared to Mazda.

There is some good explanations here in this video that refute any misconceptions about the Mazda system. The conditions are actual snow and ice.

https://youtu.be/YbfPt4sc7tk

This is part of why I went Mazda AWD. Its 100% all time awd available. The toyota system in the hybrid wasnt, and it was the other I considered before Indoscovered now slow it was.

You are talking about Haldex system. That is VW basically, and yes it can be found in Audi, and proved to be very good. Not sure why would Mazda system be better nor it is.
I am talking about Torsen differential in Audi, which Audi is known for. And that is different world compared to Mazda.

Does Audi even have a Torsen diff anymore? The S line might be, and the r8? The gen 5 Haldex is what's in most Audi products, and it's like a slower Mazda system. Hydraulics < Electromagnetic.

Also, I am not sold on Torsen type diffs. I've had cars with them. They apply torque un-evenly vs clutches regarding L/R inputs. I'm not sure how that works on glare ice with awd. Or if it matters. Dunno, there. I do know the most capable performance awd systems do not use Torsen or hydraulic clutches. They use electromagnetic clutches. Nothing else can operate as rapidly or precisely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back