Pressure washing Santa Fe clay tile

Anyone have tips on pressure washing Santa Fe barrel clay tile ?

Am a little freaked out with relative asking me to *walk on* the roof as it looks to me very likely I would break a tile by just stepping on it.
The roof is couple years old, not a single broken tile (verified with a drone) and has a little black algae on some spots, otherwise looks brand new.

I know how to prepare a mild solution and I know how to keep the spray at least one foot off the surface (basically control the pressure point).

It's the act of stepping on it that scares me.

Any tips on how to step, ie. step on low spots or step on the top of the barrel curves, kind of shoes (or not?) to wear ?

I would be inclined to use this stuff. You can spray from the ground or a ladder at edge of the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/Spray-Forget-SFRCHEQ06-Sprayer-Cleaner/dp/B07QYN49SW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=120M74KQ2IDBR&keywords=spray+%26+forget+roof+cleaner&qid=1576098070&sprefix=spray+%26+forget%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-5

A similar product of there did a great job of cleaning my deck. It takes weeks and several rain storms to work. And somewhat prevents new problems. But you spray it on and thats it. I think it cannot rain immediately after spraying.

Found this... in the comments ... 3/4" plywood with 4" thick medium density upholstery foam. Put grip tape on top to help them not get slick. Contact cement helps connect the foam to plywood

Originally Posted by henni
Found this... in the comments ... 3/4" plywood with 4" thick medium density upholstery foam. Put grip tape on top to help them not get slick. Contact cement helps connect the foam to plywood

You can probably get away with 1/2", that should be plenty strong for a small piece like that. I would want to cut weight and cost off of something that is probably only going to be used once, carried up and ladder and then most likely tossed off the roof.

3/4 is really heavy!

OP - Very smart of you to question what a relative wanted you to do.

I have relatives that are older and clueless about home repair.
I try to help them, but have learned that if I do any work, I do it my way. / And they are never disappointed.

An update...

Used this tool from Home Depot with good results

Initially fiiled 2 out of 4 gallons with just laundry soap and water.
Dialed the Min to Max setting and observed the pattern of the spray as pressure increased as to best angle for reach and coverage.

Once that was learned, added 50 - 50 mix of water-bleach with little laundry detergent for Soft Wash Surfactant.

Back