Any reason not to use Carquest full synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy reading some of the boards on BITOG, but rarely post unless it's a question. You guys know way more about oil that I'll ever know. So here I go with a question. For the past few oil changes I've done, I've used Advanced Auto's CARQUEST full synthetic which they tell me is made by Amalie. Both of the cars I used it in were Chevy Equinoxes, both with the 3.6 six cylinder. That CARQUEST oil is Dexos 2 and is SN Plus. I just traded in one Equinox and got a Kia Sorento with the 3.3 six cylinder which calls for SM oil. Can I assume that SN Plus is more advanced or meets a higher standard of some sort than SM? As you know, the CARQUEST oil is cheaper than Castrol Edge or Pennsoil Platinum, or whatever their top tier is now. Any reason not to use this CARQUEST full synthetic oil in these two applications?

Thanks for any input.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I thought the Carquest Syn was Dexos1 Gen2. Is it rated for diesels now (Dexos2)?

Sorry. You're dealing with a guy who's not as up to speed as you folks. It's probably Dexos1 Gen2. The number '2' is rather large on the bottle so I mistook it.

Last edited:
One reason not to use it would be the price of $25/jug. You can go to Walmart and buy ST synthetic on rollback right now for $14 and change.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
One reason not to use it would be the price of $25/jug. You can go to Walmart and buy ST synthetic on rollback right now for $14 and change.

Very true. I got a couple oil and filter changes worth for friends since they dont like Wal Mart

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Very true. I got a couple oil and filter changes worth for friends since they dont like Wal Mart

Or if you don't like Walmart, our local farm store (Farm and Fleet) has a full synthetic dexos licensed oil on sale for $2.69 a quart. There are a lot of other places to shop with similar or better deals.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I'm no fan boy for any store if your product has the price point I'm looking for you get my business.

I think people like that make themselves feel proud or better, especially when they proclaim "Store X will never get a dime of my money!". Well, good for you.... It's their money.

I just did a service on my '02 Explorer with 5w30 Carquest full syn oil that had the Dexos 1&2 rating on the label. So far it's behaved the same as the Mobil 1 oil that I used for the last 150k miles. I'm wasn't expecting anything to be different. 215k miles on the car and it doesn't burn any oil ,just drips a little. It has the SN+ Api rating and the website says it's fine for my car. I bought it one Saturday morning when I just didn't feel like driving over to Walmart, for $24 and change for a 5 qt jug.I already had the filter, so that was a fair price for an oil change to me.,,,

For "Carquest 100% Synthetic" and "Carquest Full Synthetic", there are 3 groups of oils with the suppliers listed as Carquest, Advanced Auto Part, and Amalie Oil Co in the dexos1 Gen 2 database.
The license numbers for the three groups do not seem to be related to each other...focusing on the 5W30 shown with Amalie as the supplier, the license # (D10397HG049) is shared with versions of Amalie Elixir FS, Chev Extreme FS, Federated FS, Parts Plus Syth, Rallye 100% Synth, STP FS, Wolf's Head 100% Synth, and a few other oils. The STP FS 5W30 is actually shown as having 3 possible suppliers and there is a 4th one just for 5W20.

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

The only reason not to use Carquest is the availability of rebates which often make the major brands a better bargain than house brands.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
For "Carquest 100% Synthetic" and "Carquest Full Synthetic", there are 3 groups of oils with the suppliers listed as Carquest, Advanced Auto Part, and Amalie Oil Co in the dexos1 Gen 2 database.
The license numbers for the three groups do not seem to be related to each other...focusing on the 5W30 shown with Amalie as the supplier, the license # (D10397HG049) is shared with versions of Amalie Elixir FS, Chev Extreme FS, Federated FS, Parts Plus Syth, Rallye 100% Synth, STP FS, Wolf's Head 100% Synth, and a few other oils. The STP FS 5W30 is actually shown as having 3 possible suppliers and there is a 4th one just for 5W20.

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

Thank You for the link and info sir
smile.gif

I picked up multiple 5 qt jugs of Carquest HM 10w-40 Full Syn for $2.55 during the recent clearance, (Qts were .55 cents). Amalie oil SN rated but not Dexos. Plan on using it for the warmer months but I wouldn't have a problem using it in winter if thats all I had.

Perhaps there is still some around PA area. I had my local AAP order from other stores, mostly the Mobil Super Syn and HM, saved a lot of driving around. Not too many people interested in the Carquest 10w-40 so there was plenty of that in stock for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back