Post your latest small engine oil change

Little Wonder Delux model edger (classic from 1978)
Out: 10W30 Pennzoil Platinum
In: SAE 30 STP Heavy Duty (Amalie)

Last edited:
Honda hcv160 push mower. Air filter cleaned as this mower was bought new this sesson
Out: factory supplied oil
In: Royal purple HPS 10w30

Craftsman snowblower with 5.5hp Tecumseh motor
Out: unknown black oil (flushed with entire quart or Mobil super synthetic 0w20. Oil was very clean after flush)
In: Rotella gas truck 5w30

Both filled with ethanol free (rec fuel) and ran for several minutes and oil level checked.

[Linked Image]

So I figured I might as well do all my OPE.

Karcher power washer
Out: Royal purple 10w30
In: Royal purple 10w30

Ai-power generator
Out:some Royal purple ( forgot what I put in it)
In: Rotella gas truck 5w30
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Originally Posted by Macsignals
It will only run reliably on partial choke, will be draining/washing the gas tank and changing the shutoff valve, filter and lines soon. If that fails then an Amazon carb is going on.
Have you considered running a fuel system cleaner through it? Something PEA based like Redline SL-1. It might be worth a try if you already have some. A Wawa station out my way just started selling Ethanol free gas, and I am thinking of using it in everything that sits idle for long periods. That includes the generators.

If that's a Briggs metal carb, they are pretty easy to take apart and clean. I just did one on a Toro mower and it had a plugged main jet. You may just be able to unscrew it from the bottom of the carb bowl (looks like a drain plug) and run a wire through it. Most of the times you just need to clean the carb but don't know what you have. If it's a Nikki (worst design I have ever seen) they are more temperamental but still not hard to take apart and clean.

in my pressure washer, Honda GCV160 motor, 10w30 Motorcraft blend with a few ozs of Castrol HD30. Same in my Subaru 175 motor on my Mower,closer to 2/3 Moto and 1/3 HD30. No oil filter on either.

6.5 LCT engine on the log splitter. Drained 20 ounces STP 10/40 replaced with Mobil 1 10/30 for easy winter pull starts. I really like the engine. Roller bearings on both sides of the crankshaft. Smooth running easy starting. Great on fuel.

Craftsman 29" snowblower - 11.50 TQ Briggs and Stratton OHV

Out: 3 year old Supertech 5w30 (last time serviced)
In: Castrol 0w40

Replaced head gasket (reason for service). Had a blown head gasket from overheating. Had a mouse nest in the blower housing and customer did not notice.

Also adjusted governor, since it was running at 2600 RPM (fixed throttle engine, no throttle lever).

I stock many flavors of ope oils. I work on many out of my garage. The usual sae30(both ND and hdeo), 10w30hdeo, 20w-50. Also syn in 0/5w-20, 5w-30, 15w-50 and 20w-50.

My personal fleet sees everything from syn 0w-20 to sae40. Most usually see what the car sees, usually syn 0/5w-20.

John Deere LX188 w/ 17HP Kawasaki

Left the filter on, run them for two changes typically.

Out: 5w40 Mobil Delvac 1

In: Remaining leftovers of 10w30 Valvoline Premium Blue SB HDEO, 5w30 QSUD and 10w30 Meijer/Warren Oil Full Synthetic. If my math is right based on the amounts used it's about 8w30 mixed brew.

Last edited:
John Deere D140 Lawn Tractor with 22HP B&S V-Twin. Five years and 145 hours on the machine. 30 hours on this oil for the season.

Out: 10w-30 Mobil1 High Mileage (3.5 HTHS)
In: same.

Left the TG3614 filter in place for another season.

Billy Goat leaf vacuum with Honda GSV190. New machine this fall; estimated 8-10 hours. The manual calls for 10w-30.

Out: Factory/Dealer fill. Whatever it was, it ran out like water. I am having a hard time believing that it was any type of Xw-30.
In: 10w-30 Mobil1 High Mileage (3.5 HTHS)

This machine requires some strength for a long slow pull to start. It should be interesting to see how hard that rope is to pull the next time out.

Toro Timecutter HD 54"

Out: 2.5 Qt. Super Tech SAE 30 HD
Off: Mobil 1 M-103A

In: 2.5Qt. Super Tech SAE 30 HD
On: NAPA Gold 1394

Back