What oil to use in a new Predator generator from Harbor Freight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by brainpause
So these HF Predator manuals say to change the oil every 20 hrs. Really? If I'm busy, that could be every other or third day.
That manual linked above said 20 hours for break in and 100 hours thereafter. My Predator 3500 Inverter was 30 hours break in and 100 hours thereafter. My Champion 3500/4000 was 8 hours break in and 50 hours thereafter.

I use 5w30 because it is on a snow blower. You live in FL. I would use 10w30 . I was skeptical..So far,so good going into its 5th season. After a six month rest, it started first pull. I like that in a snow blower.
grin2.gif

I use Supertech 15w40 HD oil. Ive run mine in temps around -20F. It still starts fine but these babies run hot! Mine burns enough oil that i dont change it...just fill it when the low oil shutoff kicks on which is about every 15 hours or so.

I broke my generator in with standard 10w 30 oil (2 hours load on and off). I dumped it and put in synthetic 10w 30 and if I need it for an extended outage in the summer, I will use syn 10w 30 with about 1/3 of HD30 oil. After Hurricane Sandy, I ran mine for over a month so I went to 50/50 HD30, / Syn 10w30. Its still fine. I run it every year. drain the gas and run it out, then fog the cylinder. So far so good. Good luck with whatever you decide. Probably cant go wrong with the newer oils anyway.

Rotella T6. Put it in everything and be done with it. Great stuff. For the Predator 212 though you can put just about anything in it and it'll be happy.

I have used M1 10-30 in my 5KW Power Mate gen, and in all of my OPE and have never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back