53k miles on a Ford FA-1927

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to change the air filter. Pretty dirty but it was doing its job, lot's of love bugs were stuck in it. Inside looked clean and air restrictor was not moving, uoa did not show elevated levels of silicon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My record is 110K on a Volvo S40 air filter before it tripped a code. Nothing nasty, but you couldn't see light through the media anymore, just as they mention in the manuals. The car ran fine otherwise. I wanted to see how far I can take the air filter because I know people waste their money and change air filters too often. Of course this depends on your local environment and application.

Ha! I've had several cars that I traded away at around 100k miles that I never changed the filter on. Clean, city environment, no dusty roads. EFI engines don't really care as long as they don't blind off. Cars ran like the day I drove off the show room. Seriously!

Originally Posted by Kestas
My record is 110K on a Volvo S40 air filter before it tripped a code. Nothing nasty, but you couldn't see light through the media anymore, just as they mention in the manuals. The car ran fine otherwise. I wanted to see how far I can take the air filter because I know people waste their money and change air filters too often. Of course this depends on your local environment and application.
Right. I ran a couple of air filters about that far in my Mazda, with no detectable ill effects, even though it was slightly too old to have closed-loop mixture control. The method of trying to see light through the media used to be the conventional rough check, but some filters nowadays---including my OEM Toyota one---have the pleats packed so close together that you can scarcely see light through them even when new.

Last edited:
Well no increase in silicon is not surprising given how the filter looks. It was time like you said...

Mileage means nothing with an air filter. You can trash one in 10k if you drive in dusty places. Just shows you went way beyond when that filter should have been replaced. If the seals are still good, the filter's efficiency actually gets better as it loads up and begins to choke off air to your engine. You won't always get a load of silicon on your oil like a loose fitting piece of ductwork.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back