02 Silverado 5.3L LT Gas fill issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having issues with pumping gas into fuel tank.

Inserted the pump nozzle into the filler neck and pumped approximately 5 gallons yesterday. I found it odd that the tank only took approximately 5 gallons.
Our fuel gauge is not always accurate and so we currently use the odometer reading to predict on when we have to pump gas.
We got to 321 miles on the tank and this number is pretty much our guide on when we have to pump.

I drove to "A"zone and hooked up the scanner and got P0440 (Evaporative Emission System).

I got under the truck and noticed that there was a disconnected line to the canister. It looked like it was the vacuum line so I pushed it back into the canister nipple which is labeled "tank".

Scanned again at "A"zone and code P0440 went away. Currently have the Check Engine Light but its a code for the Catalytic Converter.

Decided to go to the gas station to pump again and to see if the disconnected line was the culprit. Issue not resolved.

I then decided to pump very slowly and that appeared to work but not for very long.
Fuel began to spill out of the gas tank and when I looked at the reading on the pump it only showed that I had pumped approximately 1.5 gallons.

Drove home and started to look on the internet for a solution.

I asked my wife again if maybe she forgot to reset the odometer and she is certain that the odometer was reset when she last pumped at the gas station.

I was thinking of first cleaning out the canister to see if charcoal pellets come out and then try to figure out what else is wrong.
There also appears to be a missing hose clamp to the hose which attaches to the filler neck. This hose travels from the gas fill opening to the fuel tank.
Not sure if hose is supposed to be tightly secured to the gas fill area. I also noticed that the ground strap between the gas filler neck and one of the valve holding brackets is gone.

I'm hoping its the canister.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Checked gas receipts and the math isn't adding up.

I think my wife forgot to reset the odometer.

The weird thing is that there still might be an issue with filing up the tank with gas and we might have caused the issue by continuing to try to pump gas into tank.

We are going to drive our truck for at least 60 miles then will try to pump gas later today.

Stay tuned

If you are in the habit of "Topping Up" once the pump has shut off you may have gas overflow in the canister and the only way to solve the problem is to replace it.

Originally Posted by Pelican
If you are in the habit of "Topping Up" once the pump has shut off you may have gas overflow in the canister and the only way to solve the problem is to replace it.

Not a habit. Hoping that wife forgot to reset the odometer.

fill up a 5 gallon tank and put it in the bed of the truck -- run it like it's full...….if not use the 5-gallons!

You have a vent problem, whether with the canister or the vent valve , if you're having issues filling the tank.

Originally Posted by CatCam2
fill up a 5 gallon tank and put it in the bed of the truck -- run it like it's full...….if not use the 5-gallons!

^^^This^^^ Before you start throwing money at it.

Would removing the lines to the canister allow me to bypass the vent issue temporarily?

And if this temporary step does not solve my gas fill issue is it fair to say that my darn tank is still full?

Earlier, I drove 44 miles and finally drove up to a gas station to fill it up with 2.81 gallons.
I couldn't pump more gas and wasn't sure if it was because the tank was full or because their is an issue with the venting.

Drove 44 miles and I divided this by the 2.81 gallons that were pumped back in. This got me 15.65 mpg, which is about not far from what we average (16 mpg).

I will be driving the truck tomorrow for at least 100 miles and then will report back to the forum.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Originally Posted by c502cid
Originally Posted by CatCam2

^^^This^^^ Before you start throwing money at it.

Not a bad idea.
Going to drive it till it stops on me or drive it until I can actually see that the miles driven reflect the gas pumped back in.

Originally Posted by Gito
Would removing the lines to the canister allow me to bypass the vent issue temporarily?

Yes.....As long as the Rollover Valve isn't stuck closed which is a very rare failure.

Probably stating the obvious here....But, Man, Buy a sending unit/fuel pump assembly already
lol.gif

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Gito

Yes.....As long as the Rollover Valve isn't stuck closed which is a very rare failure.

Probably stating the obvious here....But, Man, Buy a sending unit/fuel pump assembly already
lol.gif

Yup, better get on it. Wife not happy.

Update
Good news, was able to pump 5 gallons after driving 80 miles. I guess wife forgot reset the trip odometer.

Rather than remove, try taking it out and cleaning it, throwing some silicone spray on the solenoid valve. clean the vent. That works sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back