2021 Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe Revealed

I saw another picture that looked like a Z71 version - that tied in the aggressive front better - but I'm biased towards monotone paint on trucks ….

It looks just like I figured it would. I imagine a Suburban/Yukon XL or a long wheelbase Expedition will be the replacement for our current ‘17 Yukon XL when it comes time to get something newer. I am curious about the air suspension. My wife's has the Magnaride and it is feels stiffer to me now than I remember it being when new. The 22s don't help that but look good (to me).

Last edited:
A Tahoe or suburban with the diesel would be a pretty neat truck. Too bad they missed the mark on the styling

Curious to see what the Yukon will look like. That said, I'm in love - an available diesel engine, finally!

Not a fan of IRS though, and I'm not like the lack of a 2500 3/4-ton.

2500 Burban long discontinued i think 14 was last year ??. 3500 ONLY avail to Gov/Fleet sales but might be ways "around it" if you find the "Right" dealer

Last I read 3500 Burbans runs $80K+

Dave

The 2500 was the candidate for armored applications. I have yet to see an armored 3500, although that may now be the default option.

Info on the diesel option

"Real world MPG" will make this a high demand option if hits upper 20's or 30s hwy

3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbo-Diesel

Bore & Stroke (in / mm):

3.30 x 3.54 / 84 x 90

Block & Cylinder Head Material:

Cast aluminum

Valvetrain:

Dual-overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder

Fuel Delivery:

High-pressure, common-rail direct injection (36,250 psi / 2500 bar); electronic throttle valve

Horsepower
(hp / kW @ rpm):

277 / 207 @ 3750 (GM estimated)

Torque
(lb-ft / Nm @ rpm):

460 / 623 @ 1500 (GM estimated)

Originally Posted by Falcon_LS
The 2500 was the candidate for armored applications. I have yet to see an armored 3500, although that may now be the default option.

Easy Seen a few current model 3500 suburbans on Youtube in trumps motorcade

Dave

[Linked Image from armoredcars.com]

[Linked Image from armoredcars.com]

Last edited:
That looks sweet, never paid attention to those!

We still have the old armored 2500s at work, I think the newest one we got is a 2014, but nothing new since. Hopefully the next batch we get will be a 3500 Suburban instead of a Land Cruiser.

Thanks for sharing
thumbsup2.gif

I think the styling is actually a hit unlike the current Silverado and the interior is actually an upgrade.

GM can get it right when it's not trying to save $20 a unit in production costs.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Info on the diesel option

"Real world MPG" will make this a high demand option if hits upper 20's or 30s hwy

3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbo-Diesel

Bore & Stroke (in / mm):

3.30 x 3.54 / 84 x 90

Block & Cylinder Head Material:

Cast aluminum

Valvetrain:

Dual-overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder

Fuel Delivery:

High-pressure, common-rail direct injection (36,250 psi / 2500 bar); electronic throttle valve

Horsepower
(hp / kW @ rpm):

277 / 207 @ 3750 (GM estimated)

Torque
(lb-ft / Nm @ rpm):

460 / 623 @ 1500 (GM estimated)

Same bore x stroke as BMW inline 6.
If BMW was using still GM transmissions I would think GM again borrowed BMW diesel engines like in 1990's and 2000's.

If I win the lottery I'd so some maintenance on my 2001 Suburban vs buying that ugly thing. The diesel might be a hit due to MPG... I am excited to see how the Yukon and Escalade will look!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe
If I win the lottery I'd so some maintenance on my 2001 Suburban vs buying that ugly thing. The diesel might be a hit due to MPG... I am excited to see how the Yukon and Escalade will look!

The 2001 looks like a 1991 it was made with cheap dated material and it was obsolete when new. A 2001 Suburban is not exactly GM's crowning achievement and it's a perfect example how GM's decision making process led it into bankruptcy.

Originally Posted by double vanos
I wonder how big those wheels are... 24"? To some larger wheels look cool but big wheel cars generally ride stiffly and tires can get pricy. My XLT has 18" wheels and I love it. Smooth....

+1

Originally Posted by dave1251

The 2001 looks like a 1991 it was made with cheap dated material and it was obsolete when new. A 2001 Suburban is not exactly GM's crowning achievement and it's a perfect example how GM's decision making process led it into bankruptcy.

Says you.

Just sold a 2001 suburban with 255K miles and aside from ABS module and knock sensor issue, it was still running great !! Heck..my brother even drove it 1400 miles round trip to Denver for a work conference and had NO issues.

Also had ANOTHER 2001 Suburban I sold earlier this year with 275K miles that i owned for several years and took me ALL OVER western USA with NO serious mechanical failures

Not the most stylish truck, But [censored] reliable and practical for most of us

Dave

whats old is new again.. I-6's making a comeback.

FCA's new "global medium engine" is an I-6 more hp than the hemi's

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Originally Posted by dave1251

Says you.

Just sold a 2001 suburban with 255K miles and aside from ABS module and knock sensor issue, it was still running great !! Heck..my brother even drove it 1400 miles round trip to Denver for a work conference and had NO issues.

Also had ANOTHER 2001 Suburban I sold earlier this year with 275K miles that i owned for several years and took me ALL OVER western USA with NO serious mechanical failures

Not the most stylish truck, But [censored] reliable and practical for most of us

Dave

I think you are agreeing with what he's saying.

Yes, they are good A-to-B transportation. Kind of like a Camry. Nothing nice nor exciting, which isn't a good thing at the Tahoe/Surburban price point.

Times are changing. People who pay this much expect better than 2001 standards, which weren't very high and resulted in the play-skool build quality. Comparing a 2001 Surburban with a 2020 is apples/oranges.

I think this is a very interesting vehicle. The Tahoe is now a good bit larger. Previous gen was Wide, Heavy, and Short. Why was it so short? Your either driving a giant SUV or your not, so i approve of the extra length. Engine options are class leading. I bet that diesel I6 is a huge hit. 30 MPG giant SUVs will be all over the place. I rate the styling as maybe 3/5 stars. Not great but at least it doesn't have a billboard sized grill like the silverado HD.
Honestly if i had more than 2 offspring i would seriously consider buying one for the role of prime family hauler. Since its just 4 of us, the Regal TourX is more than enough, and much more fun to drive than something so large.

Back