Sick and tired of these Ford (exide?) batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cleaned and dressed this battery 2 weeks ago and look at it. I'm getting ready to dump these batteries for something else. This is ridiculous.
This is a known issue on the ford super duty driver side batteries. If you have one and have not checked it you better.

[Linked Image]

I think the oiled felt battery washers will prevent this. I believe the cause of the battery corrosion is caused by gases leaking past the plastic and lead battery terminal. The oiled felt is suppose to keep the gas at bay. That's the theory anyway. I had a battery that was starting to do this, after cleaning the terminal and adding the washers, it did not come back. Oh, and that was on a Deka battery, so it can happen to any brand.

Last edited:
Try a spritz of terminal anti-corrosion spray. Permatex or CRC, at your FLAPS, or on Amazon. I don't know what you "dressed" the cleaned terminal with, but it's not the characteristic bright red that I've seen from these products, which do fine on all of my Sam's Club Duracell/East Penn batteries.

Last edited:
looks like its either an exide or someone over tightened the terminal at some point in its life

I'd ditch it before it eats your battery cables and you have to replace those too.

These are factory batteries in the 2017 F250 in my sig. I've cleaned, wire brushed and used preventative spray multiple times. I should have took a picture when I first found it, it was all the way up the harness.

[Linked Image]

Time to clean again and as mentioned use the felt battery washers. I went through this with an Exide battery and those washers kept the build up at bay. Got 5.5 years out of it and it was still working when I replaced it. The battery was only $55 at Rural King for a group 35.

The NOCO battery treatment kits or just the washers are only a few bucks at WM.

Last edited:
I think the other way the post seal can be broken is by NOT using a terminal puller and trying to twist off the terminal from the post.

Certainly no reason not to try a felt washer. If it does not work you are only out $2 or $3.

Originally Posted by Donald
Its a Johnson Controls by the shape of battery cell cap.
Yes. Every battery I ever had that was made by Johnson (branded by Walmart and Autozone) did this. The RK one from Exide, the Panasonic, and the Kmart one made by Delco did not.

For some reason, JCI batteries puke acid and corrode like no other. I took the advice of someone here who touted RP-342 for batteries and I coated the terminals on a Subaru I maintain with it. The car has a Costco Interstate in it.

I might have the parents get a AAA Deka replacement for their van, it's approaching the 4th year of service. Or maybe the Hyundai Sungwoo made Everstart from WM.

Originally Posted by nthach
For some reason, JCI batteries puke acid and corrode like no other. I took the advice of someone here who touted RP-342 for batteries and I coated the terminals on a Subaru I maintain with it. The car has a Costco Interstate in it.

I might have the parents get a AAA Deka replacement for their van, it's approaching the 4th year of service. Or maybe the Hyundai Sungwoo made Everstart from WM.

I thought all cars in Calif were required to be electric or hydrogen or plutonium. Just not gas or diesel.

I work at Enterprise rent a car and I have only seen corrosion like that on Nissan's with the batteries made by jci. These are brand new cars and the batteries are leaking acid out of the caps. It has been happening for as long as I have worked there. Every time I pop open the hood especially on the altimas I expect to see that blue corrosion. I take a hose to the corrosion and top of battery but it will be back soon. Here are some pictures of an Altima before and after I hose it off. Took this picture last week.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The post seals are leaking. Both of the batteries in my 2015 PSD had to be changed within 6 months (under warranty). The second set did not leak.

I think they get tightened too much at the factory. My dad has this on his f150. He didn't believe it was a big deal and didn't address it and it ate away the battery terminal and left my mom stranded at the grocery store. It was a mountain of corrosion.

The Johnson Controls leaky death! Wait until it starts eating all the paint underneath! You need battery washers, battery protectant, & grease on top of the clamps. A gallon of WD-40 dumped on it once a month would probably help too! (sarcasm font off-I scrapped all of mine, never again)

Originally Posted by Chris142
Try to find batteries that don't have those vent caps on the top. Look for the ones with vents on the sides and a sealed top.

This ^^^^^

East Penn maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back