Purolator BOSS ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So long story short, I ended up with a FREE purolator Boss filter using on my Crown VIc "po po donut hauler"

Any reviews/feedback on these ?? MSRP was $15 @ AAP

I have read the "basic red cans" fail frequently and are junk. But how bout the BOSS versions ??

Dave

Last edited:
Some filters like the Boss are more inclined to be used in high performance vehicles that desire flow over entrapment. My K&N is another example. My benefit in this purchase is a nice, quiet cold-startup on my Colorado.

Figure out what you need in your filter and purchase accordingly. If you desire entrapment, then (same manufacturer) Puro Golds are a better future investment, free or not.
My Colorado's going back to being fitted with Wix or Fram Toughguard. The Colorado hated the Fram Ultra. I have past documentation here, as to why.

Last edited:
The Boss is Mann's high end USA filter. It appears to use the fleece filter media designed by Mann Germany, with a mesh backing. Excellent filters, the media is good enough for Mercedes engineering, so it does the job. I think that's a bit of internet exaggeration about the red can Purolators. If going that route, no USA made filter is defect free I have seen.

The filtration efficiency is too low for me. Also... it's Purolator. I wouldn't put a Purolator on my car even if it was free. I'd pass it on to someone I don't like and buy a better filter.

Thanks guys well its already installed as of last night so gonna keep it on car till my next OCI in April/May when temps here in South start going up

It was one of the "free" items I got at pep boys with black Friday "$10 free coupon" lol HA !!

Also got a M1 filter and a Champion COS black filter aswell.

IMO, The black fed-mougal Champion filter looks well built with Silicon ADBV and says 10K miles with 99% filtration

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Less filter efficiency than a cheap Fram orange can. The Boss will only give you 99% at 40 microns.

Where was that information pulled from?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Some filters like the Boss are more inclined to be used in high performance vehicles that desire flow over entrapment. My K&N is another example. My benefit in this purchase is a nice, quiet cold-startup on my Colorado.

Figure out what you need in your filter and purchase accordingly. If you desire entrapment, then (same manufacturer) Puro Golds are a better future investment, free or not.

You sure you're not confusing these with Napa's Wix-made Platinum and Gold filters?

When I called Purolator to inquire about the BOSS filter, they told me it was 99% @ 40 microns. Others here have been told the same as well by Purolator themselves.

See this post also: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4090512/Called_the_&quot%3bPurolator#Post4090512

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
When I called Purolator to inquire about the BOSS filter, they told me it was 99% @ 40 microns. Others here have been told the same as well by Purolator themselves.

See this post also: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4090512/Called_the_&quot%3bPurolator#Post4090512

That's true that the Purolator Tech Line said in the past that the BOSS was 99% @ 40μ. And at that time their website did not show the efficiency with the micron size - that was shortly after Purolator revamped their filter colors. That's why only a phone call would get you the info. I was told when I called them that they would add the ISO efficiency statements on their filters.

But now their website (finally) shows 99+% @ 25μ per ISO 4t48-12 for the BOSS. So maybe Purolator has improved their full synthetic media.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
I have read the "basic red cans" fail frequently and are junk. But how bout the BOSS versions ??
Yes, Boss is good, while the other Puro's and Motorcrafts are bad.

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
It's a mesh backed synthetic media filter. I would use it if given one for free.

http://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/oil-filters/oil-filter-selection-guide/

"*Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on L30001 and PL30001; 25 microns on PBL30001"

That page suggests that the boss filter is 25 microns at 99%, but at the same time they don't make that point completely clear so I'm not sure.

I'm seeing 99+% @ 25μ. That's based on their huge 30001 sized filter of course - Purolator has always used that huge filter as their ISO efficiency reference.

Nice to learn the efficiency ratings on the Boss and others. Since the test is run till loading, it tests the media, it doesn't really matter what filter model is tested. Efficiency is stated as a %. I would like to see all the many red cans that have torn media reposted since that has been said. Not sure that's true or a rumor. I think maybe the Classics were showing tears and someone vocalized it means the red ones must tear too. Then it becomes they all tear.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Nice to learn the efficiency ratings on the Boss and others. Since the test is run till loading, it tests the media, it doesn't really matter what filter model is tested. Efficiency is stated as a %. I would like to see all the many red cans that have torn media reposted since that has been said. Not sure that's true or a rumor. I think maybe the Classics were showing tears and someone vocalized it means the red ones must tear too. Then it becomes they all tear.

You've been here long enough (under at least 3 usernames) to know the history of the Purolator tearing issue. Both the old Classic and PureOne showed media tearing ... their full synthetic didn't.

As far as the ISO efficiency test, the size of the filter used in the test can certainly have a bearing on the resulting efficiency. As has been shown, oil filters can lose efficiency as they load up due to captured particles shedding off the media from increased delta-p. A filter with a much higher media area will reduce the delta-p across them media which will reduce captured particle shedding, and that will result in better efficiency. The two smallest Purolator filters in the same line with the same media had an advertised efficiency lower than the rest of the larger filters (ie, they were 99% @ 40u vs 99% @ 20u of the larger filters). It was printed right on the box, but never shown on Purolator's website. Sayjac (along wth others here) know what I'm referring to - I was discussed quite a bit a few years ago.

I think Fram is the only filter maker that shows efficiency numbers based on the average of 3 different sized filters, which helps take out the size factor of the filter in the advertised efficiency.

I personally have no problem running Purolator Boss filters. Currently running PB on three vehicles.

One vehicle is on second 6k OCI with same Boss. Other two will be one year/10-12k miles.

Plan is to C&P all filters and share with BITOG.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
It's a mesh backed synthetic media filter. I would use it if given one for free.

http://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/oil-filters/oil-filter-selection-guide/

"*Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on L30001 and PL30001; 25 microns on PBL30001"

That page suggests that the boss filter is 25 microns at 99%, but at the same time they don't make that point completely clear so I'm not sure.

I'm seeing 99+% @ 25μ. That's based on their huge 30001 sized filter of course - Purolator has always used that huge filter as their ISO efficiency reference.

The Fram filters referenced for marketing are not thimbles.

The size really isn't as important as the testing results after the filters use. It would be interesting to see the efficiency ratings let's say after 200 hours of use.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

The Fram filters referenced for marketing are not thimbles.

Like already mentioned, Fram uses 3 different sized filters (smaller to larger in size) which is a better representation than using just the biggest filter only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back