Vintage Off Road View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Explored some trails in the Fall. Friend took this pic, commented how much of the world was seen from this perspective for about 30 years, until Toyota came along with something just....better.

LRORM.JPG

That trail is narrow. That vehicle is deemed too wide for the trails in my state. SXS's would be allowed along with ATV's and dirt bikes.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
That trail is narrow. That vehicle is deemed too wide for the trails in my state. SXS's would be allowed along with ATV's and dirt bikes.

Same here for some trails, but these are open...actually town rods, but non used or maintained. The LR SIII is also a relatively narrow vehicle; only about 3" wider, body, than one of the Polaris Rangers for example.

It took longer than that to bump the Landrover off it's perch over here. In our hilly country farmers preferred the Landrover, it's alloy body gave it a lower CG and less inclined to roll over. The Landrover rotted out the chassis, the Landcruiser the body. We were still working on a lot of Landrovers in the '90's, mainlty Series IIA. The Hi Lux was nowhere as good, but won by default when all the Landrovers got to old to repair...and before they became a trendy status symbol.

Actually we have a 110 V8 at work, it's been there months, I got it running by putting in an electronic ignition, it needs the carbs rebuilt. I'm the only person there who knows what a carb is, let alone has any clues about SU's, and also know how long it will take me to do the job, and know that won't be the end of the tale. The owners won't understand why after all that work, it still needs lots more labour to be a good reliable vehicle. I'm not prepared for the sh*t fight, I won't work on it anymore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silk
It took longer than that to bump the Landrover off it's perch over here. In our hilly country farmers preferred the Landrover, it's alloy body gave it a lower CG and less inclined to roll over. The Landrover rotted out the chassis, the Landcruiser the body. We were still working on a lot of Landrovers in the '90's, mainlty Series IIA. The Hi Lux was nowhere as good, but won by default when all the Landrovers got to old to repair...and before they became a trendy status symbol.

Actually we have a 110 V8 at work, it's been there months, I got it running by putting in an electronic ignition, it needs the carbs rebuilt. I'm the only person there who knows what a carb is, let alone has any clues about SU's, and also know how long it will take me to do the job, and know that won't be the end of the tale. The owners won't understand why after all that work, it still needs lots more labour to be a good reliable vehicle. I'm not prepared for the sh*t fight, I won't work on it anymore.

Didn't LR manufacture some civilian ones there, CKD, like many of the other British products? I know the Perentie's served w/ your military for quite some time.

They might've been assembled here. The Army had Landrovers, and were auctioned off, so there were quite a few around.

They might've been assembled here. The Army had Landrovers, and were auctioned off, so there were quite a few around.

The army Landrovers that I knew were Landrover bodies with GM-Holden engines.

A popular conversion, but not very good from my view. The Holden revved less than the 4 cyl Landrover, so more power and less top speed, so an overdrive unit was needed. Also lighter flywheel and less bottom end torque - you could sidestep the Landrover clutch at idle and it would move off, and lots of traction and control at low speeds. You had to rev the Holden to move off, and that led to wheelspin, so you had to be in low 4x4....just horrible to drive. But for hauling a boat, yeah, a 6 cyl Holden was a better choice.

….and something to think about with engine conversions on most Series Rovers; the OE rear axles can be a weak point if abused. As with any used vehicle, and mine was a working truck before I got it, you inherit a lifetime of use (abuse?). I replaced mine proactively, this is what came out:

[Linked Image]

I once picked up a Series I from where it was stored at a beach house, up a steep drive, lots of winding roads (it was on an island) Got it to work, up on the hoist and I notice one rear wheel spins really easily...it's got a broken axle, and I didn't pick up that it was in 4x4 because there was no wind up, and of course no idiot light to tell me it was. They just drove it around in 4x4 all the time, probably why the axle broke. That axle is now a couple of very good heavy weight punches.

I once picked up a Series I from where it was stored at a beach house, up a steep drive, lots of winding roads (it was on an island) Got it to work, up on the hoist and I notice one rear wheel spins really easily...it's got a broken axle, and I didn't pick up that it was in 4x4 because there was no wind up, and of course no idiot light to tell me it was. They just drove it around in 4x4 all the time, probably why the axle broke. That axle is now a couple of very good heavy weight punches.

Ersatz AWD...well 3 WD

Interesting thing is all the most capable and proven off road vehicles are not crazy lifted and with huge tires. That Defender and old CJ's can go almost anywhere just as they are with regular suspension and tires sizes. My 78 Jeep CJ7 went a lot of remote places on regular 29" tires without issue. I did add a 4" Skyjacker softride lift and 33" tires but for the tougher "look" not capabilty. I just think it is silly seeing these pickups with huge lifts and tires sticking out from the fenders. Can't be good at all.

It's much to do about the weight of the vehicle. When things get too much for our Hilux, TLC, and F350 PSD 4WD … a huge 6x6 with massive tires will take over until the weather sorts and roads repaired.
What has the biggest tires ? … the F350 4WD and for sure the very heavy 6x6 …
These are work machines … not weekend toys …
(and yes, ruin a few drive shafts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back