Cool GDI deposit video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice video but I'm a bit skeptical of any endorsement without thousands of miles of real world testing. Time will tell but perhaps the oil makers are attempting to address it sufficiently.

My UOA is why I moved from M1 (FS) 0W-40 to Castrol Edge 0W-40 for my T-GDI equipped Optima (far less oxidation, less viscosity shear down, etc.). I also run a PCV OCC and an OCI of 4K miles as a result while running Top Tier fuel. Doing the above I'm hopeful to slow down significantly the carbon buildup on the intake valves but I know at some point a good mechanical (walnut blasting) cleaning will have to happen (hopefully at 100K miles on my engine).

I want my oil to say "Nope"..and "Nope"!...‚

Ok, all joking aside.. basic but informative, like you said.ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
I also run a PCV OCC...

I just said this the other day..i don't know why you wouldn't (unless you can't afford one) run a catch can if you have a DI, as it seems the potential benefits outweigh the costs of installing one. But to each his own I guess..

fact is! as the years go by + miles pile up the carboning issues with DI will show up costing $$$$ for a proper mechanical cleaning!!! its not if but WHEN as engines vary like everything else some better others not so much like the girlfriends traded 60 thou 2.5 2013 malibu using a qt or so on a thou!!

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I also run a PCV OCC...

I just said this the other day..i don't know why you wouldn't (unless you can't afford one) run a catch can if you have a DI, as it seems the potential benefits outweigh the costs of installing one. But to each his own I guess..

I thought Ford would void your warranty? Is that not true?

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I also run a PCV OCC...

I thought Ford would void your warranty? Is that not true?

That's a great question for a current Ford owner. One question I'd have is how's that different than installing/using any non OE part? In my estimation a catch can doesn't substantively alter the PCV system not like say dropping a supercharger in would. I know with Hyundai/Kia they won't warranty any owner installed part nor cover any damage any owner supplied part causes but otherwise you're free to do with what you wish..it is after all your car, not theirs.. it's just doing so (installing aftermarket parts) comes with certain caveats.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
fact is! as the years go by + miles pile up the carboning issues with DI will show up costing $$$$ for a proper mechanical cleaning!!! its not if but WHEN as engines vary like everything else some better others not so much like the girlfriends traded 60 thou 2.5 2013 malibu using a qt or so on a thou!!

No simply do to fact GDI has been in mainstream use for nearly a decade and half and the problems you have described affect very few vehicles.

I also run a PCV OCC...

I've said this for a decade+ it is the responsibility of the catch can supporter to prove it actually does something.

Somewhere in that video (1:28 time frame) he says that oil can leak down the valve guides and contact the intake valves especially as the oil viscosities continue to become thinner for efficiency purposes.

is he talking about x20 or x16 ....
continues to become thinner for efficiency purposes ...

Translation: Thin oil = not very good ... at least for di engines.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Somewhere in that video (1:28 time frame) he says that oil can leak down the valve guides and contact the intake valves especially as the oil viscosities continue to become thinner for efficiency purposes.

is he talking about x20 or x16 ....
continues to become thinner for efficiency purposes ...

Translation: Thin oil = not very good ... at least for di engines.

All the more reason to do what you can to prolong the life of the valve seals.. and be conscious of the time spent idling as that's gonna draw oil down. But sometimes there's just not much you can do about idling, in those instance it is what it is.

Originally Posted by dave1251

I've said this for a decade+ it is the responsibility of the catch can supporter to prove it actually does something.

Well, they do "catch" some oil (vapor) exiting the crankcase whether or not it's enough to have a demostrable effect is probably debatable. (and fwiw I say yes..as any oil caught is less to coat the valves and that is a good thing IMO). I don't have one (I have PI) and I've never seen a "study" so dunno. I doubt it's the definitive solution to coking on the IV's but I don't think it hurts either. The way I see it, it boils down to ROI for each vehicle owner - can they justify the cost?.. it's a tool in the toolbox to address this unique problem, that warrants considering IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Delete

I was going to reply but your comment went away. I'll continue anyway.

The interwebs have a way of getting people to hide under their chairs. GDI has been around for some time now. Like other advancements there are some teething pains but the way things progress these days, waiting for the bugs to clear usually means newer advancements come on the scene while you wait.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Delete

I was going to reply but your comment went away. I'll continue anyway.

The interwebs have a way of getting people to hide under their chairs. GDI has been around for some time now. Like other advancements there are some teething pains but the way things progress these days, waiting for the bugs to clear usually means newer advancements come on the scene while you wait.

LOL I wasn't geared up for WW-III. True, it seems we've been waiting a long time. Yes they made improvements, but judging from the frequency of these threads, DI is a problem still looking for a solution. IMO and the opinion of others I respect here, the jury is still out.

Time will tell. In some ways I'm reminded of the period in the latter 70's and into the 80's when pollution equipment was being added onto engines and cars and most of it was troublesome. Then again, most cars in that time frame were troublesome anyway.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Time will tell. In some ways I'm reminded of the period in the latter 70's and into the 80's when pollution equipment was being added onto engines and cars and most of it was troublesome. Then again, most cars in that time frame were troublesome anyway.

I remember that time period too, it took quite a while to get it sorted out, but they did. People cursed it for years. I remember my mother's 1983 Ford Fairmont, calling it a POS was too kind.

If bypassing the PCV system doesn't seem to help how can a catch can do anything?

https://docplayer.net/38978662-Cons...in-gasoline-direct-injection-engine.html

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back