Do you guys run a "frankenblend"

Do any of you folks run a frankenblend of oils? I do this and my friend with a 2012 F 150 truck does as he runs a FRAM ULTRA filter.

I do this to use up some single quarts from the stash and haven't ever had any issues.

Reactions: JC1
I do not. I'm more of an oil purist.
grin.gif

It's fine but I personally wouldn't make it a habit.

I'm a purist. But recently I needed to dump a half quart of (new) oil so I could reuse the container. So I put that 0.5qt 15W40 HDEO into my Camry (which usually runs 5W30). Does that count?
lol.gif

I do that all the time in my 1994 Jeep
It leaked so much oil for a while that I even put in used oil from other vehicles oil changes
but I finally fixed it a month ago so I suspect it will now get a diet of whatever new oil I need to use up
and that will surely be a mixture

If I needed to use up an old oil stash or something, I wouldn't have a problem doing it. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it as a normal practice though--not because I'd be worried about problems from it, but more because there's not really any significant benefit.

Only to finish off leftovers.

NOTE: The mixture of synthetic 5W30's I used for my first oil change in my 15 year old Ford Ranger -it's 16th oil change- quieted the engine TREMENDOUSLY.

There is no way the effect was psychosomatic. Also, the Hastings filter eliminated start-up clatter COMPLETELY.

Sorry if this upsets anyone.

When I get enough top off oil left over it all gets mixed and used. I'm nearly there. Usually all different brands and mostly full synthetic.

Not when doing an oil change, but when I top off (which is fairly often in the 530i), I use whatever I have available, so by the end of the OCI it may turn into some Frankenbrew.

I do, as long as its like weight oils ... so "mini brew"?

I have 2 top off jugs for Xw20 and Xw30's from all the left over oil changes I do for folks. Most of the small vehicles use 4-4.5 qts, always have that extra left over. I use it in the small lawn engines or in the vehicles that are neglected, burn oil, and always find their way back to me because "something is wrong".

Sometimes. If I have less than a quart left in a 5-qt jug or in a quart bottle, I'll just dump it into my 5-qt jug marked "Witches' Brew". That jug gets used for top ups or for my lawnmower. Once it got pretty full so I used it up on an older vehicle with no issues.

I may start using up quarts of M1 10W40 that I got on clearance in a mixture. My 2002 Tacoma normally takes 5W30 (I am using up some 10W30 in it now). Since it takes 6 quarts I think I'm going to start using a 5 quart jug of whatever 5W30 synth I have on hand + a single quart of M1 10W40. It shouldn't hurt anything and it will help me use up the 10 quarts of that oil that I have on the shelf. I probably shouldn't have bought 10 quarts, but I'd planned to use it for oil changes on an older vehicle that allowed 10W40 that I've since sold. I've got it in my push mower now, but it'd take me 20 years to use up that much oil if I just put it in my mower. :)

Ran an oci of 10 year old Mobil 1 10-40 atv oil in my wife's Malibu...does that count?

Last time my parents were up I topped their oil off 15w40 hdeo lawn mower oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Do any of you folks run a frankenblend of oils? I do this and my friend with a 2012 F 150 truck does as he runs a FRAM ULTRA filter.

I do this to use up some single quarts from the stash and haven't ever had any issues.

Yes - even proof that when used exclusively, I ran like 250K on a couple different GMs. Only reason they went to the junkyard 18 years later was rust. Both dipsticks at the junkyard were clear and the vehicles never used more than a quart in 5k OCIs.

Blending oils of various weights, but intended for gasoline engines-only, worked great for me. A few times I ran from five different quart bottles. No problemo.

When I've done it in the past I only used one quart. Which is about 20% of a different oil in the sump.

Back