To Havoline Or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fine members.
As you can see in my signature, I'm using Havoline HM oil in my trucks engine (Ford 4.2 V6, 154K Miles). I bought that because it was the only 6 pak box in stock. I wanted to use 5W30 PRO DS. WM now has plenty of 5W30 PRO DS in stock, BUT, I have seen a few posts here that members were not satisfied with it. Some said their engine was making noises after installing it, startup noises, and said it was getting dirty too fast. IMO, this all sounds like their engines had problems before they used it.
I think the ONLY brand of oil I have never used in my engine is QS. I put less than 7.5K miles on my truck in a year and 95% of my mileage is highway driving.
Opinions on what brand you would use is greatly appreciated. I will probably use the 5W30 PRO DS, but it will be interesting to see what you say.
Thank You!

Worked fine in both of my cars. Only went back to HM 5W20 to save a few bucks. I'll probably bounce back and forth on occasion.

With Chevron being a leader in the oil industry I have no doubt Havoline is equal to or greater quality than every other motor oil in the same class as it. Use it I would.

ST syn 5w-30. Yea, I'm biased coming from M1. I don't do rebates. I did "stock up" recently on ST for my next oil changes when it was on sale. But I usually don't do sales, rebates or hoard oil.

Chevron & Havoline(along with MotorCraft & a few others) used to be the darlings of the BITOG community when I first joined. I used Havoline oils for many years prior to discovering BITOG and continued afterward mostly purchasing with rebates and ended up buying them on closeouts/discontinued from stores. However, I don't see any Havoline oils anymore in my area(where I shop) so needless to say, I don't even look any longer. But, I've always like their product(dino & syn) and would buy again.

[Linked Image]

Just used it the other day this is the second time around not a single problem

Seeing that box makes me think of Shannow's comments about "glug tests" that always made me chuckle.
Don't see him on here too much anymore, hope he is doing OK...always enjoyed his very meaty posts.

havoline is trying to get market share in a crowded walmart oil isle, 6jug is a great ideal. if the put tye 5qt jugs that are at the other auto part stores, it would be lost in the crowd. good marketing on their part. The recipe for good oil is no longer trade secret. everyone jumps to the next higher specification within a year of its introduction so i would have no doubts this oil from a major oil company and engine oil brand is more than sufficient for your use.

6qt jug at the dollar store from and unknown company...ll ok i would be concerned but chevron...the makers of delo....no problem.

Have Havoline HiMi sb 5w30 in the sump as we speak and I can't count how many times I've used it. I'll go 5k on it but it could run longer, it's just 5k is my limit no matter the lube. Between that and Supreme 5/30, those are the two most often used oils by me. They just work... and getting 6qts for under $16 makes it hard to beat.

I've run the 10w30 pro DS in my 4 runner for an interval, have another box ready to go when the current sump of dealer oil from toyota are is used up. I had No problems , no unusual noise, no loss of oil or other deleterious observations. The box is exceptionally convenient packaging making me pick this oil packaging unless I am finding other oil at ridiculous deals.

Long time Mobil 1 and valvoline maxlife user here.

I've run Havoline ProDS 5w30 for two OCI now. Zero issues, and I like the smartchange box.

My other vehicle has Havoline 5w30 high mileage syn blend. Also doing great.

FYI I pinged Chevron corporate about the listed PDS pour point numbers for the ProDS (a common complaint for some) and they said the -27F number is simply a standard minimum and the actual pour point is -41F - IE much more comparable to other group III syns.

It's a good oil, and if I could find it on a closeout somewhere I'd use it again. Buying @ full pop, no thanks.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Seeing that box makes me think of Shannow's comments about "glug tests" that always made me chuckle.
Don't see him on here too much anymore, hope he is doing OK...always enjoyed his very meaty posts.

Shannow got tired of all the BS that goes on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back