'20 Hyundai Sonata -- Wow-ee! Looks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by donnyj08
Looks like a big Orange Catfish
+1

The Fusion is a much better looking car!

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Body looks like a Mercedes Benz.

No, I'm not kidding.

I was thinking Infiniti.

In any case I'm sure it will sell comparatively well vs the competitors in its segment.

Last edited:

No, I'm not kidding.

You are 100% correct IMHO, that was my first take too, the body looks like it takes right after Mercedes, shamelessly so.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
The front looks like the latest Fusion.

Not surprising. Rest of it looks very much like a Honda Civic. The earlier gen Sonata's look like a knock-off of 2013 to current Ford Fusion body style. Hyundai appears to be good at reverse engineering, I'll give them that. Innovation ... not so much.

It might look like a big orange catfish.. but I like catfish.. had a pet catfish for 16 years

It is quite gaudy but thats the way things are going right now.......

certainly BMW doesnt look much better

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

(ps yes its a bmw grill joke picture)

As ls1mike has already written, beauty is in the eye of beholder.
I will just add my opinion.

To me, these popular brands and others have made their latest generation cars very ugly compared to before:

Honda
Lexus & Toyota
Mercedes

So with that perspective, the 2020 Sonata looks good.

Perhaps I am not seeing them properly, but those cool tail light cut-outs up top look like they will primarily collect grime, mud, and rotting plant material.
lol.gif

Hyundai is trying to keep the U.S. built sedan alive.

it may help them that there are NO Buick Sedans anymore - just SUV. (GM what the
!!!)

Hyundai was always selling Sonata the past decade on derivative wow-eee styling.

Me I'm a Folded -paper, two-box guy. Large greenhouses. Gone the way of the Do-Do.

a nice example:
[Linked Image]

I think it looks great! The only design aspect that makes me cringe is that chrome or metal stripe that runs up the front end along side the hood. I've never been a fan of that on the Sonata and they made it bigger on the 2020. The interior looks great.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

No, I'm not kidding.

You are 100% correct IMHO, that was my first take too, the body looks like it takes right after Mercedes, shamelessly so.

I don't see any MB in there...none.

Originally Posted by wemay

No, I'm not kidding.

Originally Posted by paoester
[Linked Image from cnet1.cbsistatic.com]
[Linked Image from images.hgmsites.net]

You don't see similarity here?
[Linked Image from mercedes-benz.ca]
[Linked Image from la.mercedes-benz.com]

Originally Posted by wemay

No, I'm not kidding.

Originally Posted by paoester
[Linked Image from cnet1.cbsistatic.com]

You don't see similarity here?
[Linked Image from mercedes-benz.ca]
[Linked Image from la.mercedes-benz.com]

Yeah, i just don't see any similarity other than they are all stylish.

Oddly enough, my favorite sedan is the current Jetta. Probably the least ostentatious of all the contemporary sedans (sans the gaudy GLi). The 2021 Optima and Mazda6 are also high on the list.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Hyundai is trying to keep the U.S. built sedan alive.

it may help them that there are NO Buick Sedans anymore - just SUV. (GM what the
!!!)

Hyundai was always selling Sonata the past decade on derivative wow-eee styling.

Me I'm a Folded -paper, two-box guy. Large greenhouses. Gone the way of the Do-Do.

a nice example:
[Linked Image]

Those are dead for good, I'm afraid. Side impact crash standards combined with the widespread proliferation of trucks and SUVs mean beltlines are high, pillars are big and glass is small.

For what it's worth in a crash, I'd rather walk away safely from an ugly car than get turned into hamburger in a pretty one, so I suppose it's alright.

I see more than similarity to Honda, I see duplication. The bottom pic is of 2020 Honda Civic. I mean, is Hyundai actually buying their tail lights and body panels from Honda or what? Copy cat copy cat, thy name is Hyundai !! No innovation. No originality. Hyundai.

[Linked Image from s.aolcdn.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back