2011 Hyundai Sonata -- 3 cylinders dropped!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your telling me...I had a 95 mustang GT. Last year of the 5.0 HO (high output). 215 bhp in a 4,000lb car LOL.

It was hot stuff in its day! Ran the 1/4 in high 14s if you were an awesome driver. Mid 15s for everyone else lol.

My brother had a LT1 and a LS1 camero. 275 and 305 bhp respectively in a heavier car yet.

Times have certainly changed!

My fav car of all time remains the 88 IROC. Much snapper was had in those bad boys for sure!

I ran 15 flat at 93(!). Talk about a heavy car. Soft out of the hole but flies on the big end. Car and driver published a 15.5 for the Marauders... apparently I'm a full half second better of a driver than magazine editors.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Originally Posted by Sayonara_Sonata

Please dig deeper and tell me more.

The PID you are referring to is actually called "adaptation value for lower mechanical stop of electronic wastegate actuator", and while this sounds and appears to have a lot to do with boost pressure, it actually has very little to do with the boost pressure output. This is simply a reference point for the ECU to know when the wastegate is closed. Being that this value is an adaptive value, it is also an average. If the ECU receives an errant value more than twice in a row, a DTC is set. If it continues to send a bad (low or high value) the ECU will set the map to forced limit power and/or forced limit rpm, e.g. "limp mode". This is to protect the engine from an over boost condition, which will cause a lean AFR. Cylinder number 2 is notorious for this condition, as it has a very straight line of sight from the throttle body to the intake port through the inlet manifold, and tends to get the biggest "gulp" of air.

I digress.

This value is more of a protective measure, not a tuning value. You will experience very little via butt dyno by changing the adaptive value of the EWGA. An aftermarket ECU tune "defeats" this value by substituting a standard "good value" (which is faked). I've seen plenty of cars with ECU tunes loaded and had subsequently melted the ring land off cylinder two, or in less catastrophic cases simply melted the electrode off the spark plug. I always know the ECU has a tune on it because the ROM ID is a series of letters and numbers, and on ECU's with a tune loaded it will read XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. The 2016 and up inlet manifold was redesigned to account for better air distribution. Go forth cautiously with tuning, usually the people loading ECU tunes on these cars are not well versed in the dynamics of tuning particular cylinders individually, and end up with a lean condition in cylinder two. The only way to know for sure is through the use of four individual pyrometers on the outlet of the head, to tune each individual cylinder's fuel delivery rate over all loads on a dynamometer.

I hope this clears things up a bit. Cheers!

Thanks a lot. I respect and appreciate the time you took in explaining the finer points. A very good lesson indeed!

It clears up almost as many questions that it poses unto me. Now, if I may become indebted a wee bit more unto your services. I'm no technician, but a seat of the pants old school knuckle bustin' schmuck. I've a lot I'd like to discuss, but allow moi to cut to le chase momentarily.

Denso 20 came in the first year. 2012 saw the move to a step cooler with Denso 22. I ran 20s for 70K, they looked good and were still running fine, currently running the equivalent of 24. Still has carbon on the base with ceramic showing semi-tan Number 2 has seen around 24K 1,2 & 4 about 21K. Slight reddish hue indicates the octane boost used in 93 E0. Wasn't there running 93 E10. The round iridium plate on the bottom side of ground had a light coating of hard tan deposit that was removed easily with brass brush. The electrode tip, under a 10x loupe, showed no deposits looking almost as new. I was running .032" gap with one at .035". I changed all to slightly over .030" Sunday after inspection\cleaning.

I've no boost gauge or torque app. I don't even own a bloody smart phone. Quite the auld cracker, eh? I'm a bit as that Lynyrd Skynyrd tune though. I know a little. I know a little bit. I know a little 'bout plugs and baby I can guess the rest.

Well, not quite.

The ECU doesn't know what voltage the actuator is set to, correct? It merely assumes that a tech would set it within the proper range because while the actuator setting has little to do with boost it does play a large part in the pageant of interaction betwixt the two MAP sensors, IAT sensor, throttle position, rpm, mph, O2 sensors in the ECU orchestra. Yes?

Cause and effect. Sir Issac tells us that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In 2011 or 12 Kia states that the max voltage is 4.45. By my calculations that represents about 7.5* flap opening. 4.2 is 12*.

Same auto, same conditions , same smooth level road with heavy dose of rolling hills pulling some steep grades. From idle, 2-3K & 3K- 4K slow gradual acceleration along with WOT.

The only difference is one day it's set at 4.2 and the other is 4.45. What differences in performance should I expect to encounter?

As well what danger lies around the 4.45V corner that I should keep me eyes peeled for? I am using a Harbor Freight cheapo multi-meter.

Last edited:
*Driving 2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI non - turbo : I have used all grades of octane available with no pinging or knocking . Higher octane (89 , 93) provided more "pep" to the engine (especially in hotter , humid conditions) while 87 octane results in the best over all gas mileage . If there is any pre-detonation going on I can't detect it - but again my 2.4L is a non - turbo GDI so perhaps running 87 octane is as not as much a factor as with the 2.0T turbo GDI engine ?

https://vimeo.com/378453711/recommended

Ok I have a link... we'll try that.

Nice! You work fast. All done in 20 sec.
lol.gif

Thanks for all the informative posts!

Cause and effect. Sir Issac tells us that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In 2011 or 12 Kia states that the max voltage is 4.45. By my calculations that represents about 7.5* flap opening. 4.2 is 12*.

This voltage is the value for the lower mechanical stop, in other words the wastegate flap at it's closed position. Also, it is merely a desired adaptive value. There are two PID's for this value in the ECU, they look identical. One is "Desired", one is "Actual". These must match during all conditions within a few .01V. This has tripped up many a tech, watching the desired value while adjusting the wastegate rod to no avail. Adding to the frustration is that you must cycle the ignition off and on 5 times to get the actual adaptive value, due to the fact that an adaptive value is an average over time. Desired value doesn't change without a variable. Tech would finally come to my bay and ask me why the wastegate won't take adjustment, and I ask him if he is monitoring the desired or actual value. I bet you can predict the answer.

Also remember, the engine must be stone cold while performing the adjustment. Explained below...

The only difference is one day it's set at 4.2 and the other is 4.45. What differences in performance should I expect to encounter?

As well what danger lies around the 4.45V corner that I should keep me eyes peeled for? I am using a Harbor Freight cheapo multi-meter.

No appreciable difference will be felt. At these voltages the wastegate is closed, one can assume. The trouble zone is about 4.8. The ECU "knows" there is something amiss and shuts the positive pressure fun down. (Forced limit power) what is amiss doesn't matter to the ECU, only that the voltage is too high, or "out of range" as it were.

The phenomenon of voltage varying that you are experiencing lies in two antagonists. As temperature increases around the turbo, electrical resistance will increase slightly in the wiring and actuator. The ECU knows this (is programmed in as a "range of acceptable operation". Also with heat the metals that the turbo are made from will expand. This will set the lower stop of the wastegate actuator at a different point at 900 degrees F versus 72 degrees F. The ECU also knows this. 4.2 vs 4.45 are still acceptable, though 4.45V is getting perilously close to angering the ECU. The operating range for most all inputs and outputs for power train control are 0-5V, not 0-12V as many people think. The ECU doesn't much care what is wrong more so that "something" is wrong, and will turn to a forced limited power condition. 4.8V makes her mad.

Harbor Freight cheapo multimeter

I will not speak ill of a cheap meter, though when testing with a meter it is only for validation to myself. I care less about what I see than what the ECU sees. I monitor all inputs and outputs on the Kia scanning software with the KDS, simply because even if I have a reading I know to be truthful, if the ECU sees a different reading it doesn't matter what my meter says.

The moral? The only way to know for sure that your values are correct through the eyes of the car's ECU are to "see what it sees". The ECU is not reading your meter, it is reading it's inputs/outputs. Scanning software that allows you to view this PID will be more accurate than reading a meter. There exists resistance in every electrical connection, including meter lead to pin, meter lead to meter, wire to meter probe, etc. When you are dealing with .01V, things add up and small things matter, whether it be a Fluke DVOM or Harbor Freight DVOM.

Off to work I go, take care.

Last edited:

This voltage is the value for the lower mechanical stop, in other words the wastegate flap at it's closed position. Also, it is merely a desired adaptive value. There are two PID's for this value in the ECU, they look identical. One is "Desired", one is "Actual". These must match during all conditions within a few .01V. This has tripped up many a tech, watching the desired value while adjusting the wastegate rod to no avail. Adding to the frustration is that you must cycle the ignition off and on 5 times to get the actual adaptive value, due to the fact that an adaptive value is an average over time. Desired value doesn't change without a variable. Tech would finally come to my bay and ask me why the wastegate won't take adjustment, and I ask him if he is monitoring the desired or actual value. I bet you can predict the answer.

Also remember, the engine must be stone cold while performing the adjustment. Explained below...

No appreciable difference will be felt. At these voltages the wastegate is closed, one can assume. The trouble zone is about 4.8. The ECU "knows" there is something amiss and shuts the positive pressure fun down. (Forced limit power) what is amiss doesn't matter to the ECU, only that the voltage is too high, or "out of range" as it were.

The phenomenon of voltage varying that you are experiencing lies in two antagonists. As temperature increases around the turbo, electrical resistance will increase slightly in the wiring and actuator. The ECU knows this (is programmed in as a "range of acceptable operation". Also with heat the metals that the turbo are made from will expand. This will set the lower stop of the wastegate actuator at a different point at 900 degrees F versus 72 degrees F. The ECU also knows this. 4.2 vs 4.45 are still acceptable, though 4.45V is getting perilously close to angering the ECU. The operating range for most all inputs and outputs for power train control are 0-5V, not 0-12V as many people think. The ECU doesn't much care what is wrong more so that "something" is wrong, and will turn to a forced limited power condition. 4.8V makes her mad.

Harbor Freight cheapo multimeter

I will not speak ill of a cheap meter, though when testing with a meter it is only for validation to myself. I care less about what I see than what the ECU sees. I monitor all inputs and outputs on the Kia scanning software with the KDS, simply because even if I have a reading I know to be truthful, if the ECU sees a different reading it doesn't matter what my meter says.

The moral? The only way to know for sure that your values are correct through the eyes of the car's ECU are to "see what it sees". The ECU is not reading your meter, it is reading it's inputs/outputs. Scanning software that allows you to view this PID will be more accurate than reading a meter. There exists resistance in every electrical connection, including meter lead to pin, meter lead to meter, wire to meter probe, etc. When you are dealing with .01V, things add up and small things matter, whether it be a Fluke DVOM or Harbor Freight DVOM.

Off to work I go, take care.

Vely interesting and thanks time and again for sharing well more than a few snippets of "the greatest hits version" cobbled together. Your detail is most refreshing as is your proficiency in providing explanation in layman terms after serving up the technical aspect.

You posted earlier of adaptive values. Early on an aftermarket intake was offered. When tested on a dyno it was claimed to have shown around a 20 horse addition. As time in the saddle wore on it seems these same adaptive values reared their ugly head and the intake was now good for only 2-5hp or thereabouts.

As well some have added other components with great success in HP gains only to see those dwindle over time. Claiming once again to becoming victim to the adaptive value villain. I have somewhat experienced this myself in that at times it appears that I must constantly flog the throttle to maintain peak performance. I read folks talking about short term\long term trim and whatnot being partially to blame.

If that's the case why do I find the peak power never fails under an extreme load as pulling a grade under hard throttle? Is it merely the advanced throttle position when compared to the map sensors if that at all?

Last edited:
You posted earlier of adaptive values. Early on an aftermarket intake was offered. When tested on a dyno it was claimed to have shown around a 20 horse addition. As time in the saddle wore on it seems these same adaptive values reared their ugly head and the intake was now good for only 2-5hp or thereabouts.

Oh my. Adaptive values. I could actually go on for days about adaptive or "learned" values. They used to be so simple but now they have taken over. In the early days learned values were used for simple tasks such as adjusting transmission main line pressure and shift rpm points to help transmissions live longer under varying usage patterns. Now they can even be used to change the way the car feels in sport mode vs normal mode, by altering things such as APS/TPS correlation to make the car feel faster off the line.

In other words, the accelerator position sensor (potentiometer) and the throttle position sensor (another potentiometer) can now move in a non linear fashion. 10% throttle input can now transmit to 20% throttle output in sport mode, for an illusion of more part throttle engine output. Tricky huh?

I told you that to tell you this. ECU's are what we referred to in the Chrysler/Dodge dealerships as "NGC ECU's. This stands for Next Generation Controller. A blanket label to differentiate an ECU capable of varying engine output parameters. What this means for you, if I may oversimplify, is that the ECU can vary and modify the engine output to a set value. This set value is calculated torque output, or load percentage depending on what the manufacturer elects to call it.

I cut my teeth in a Mopar house, when all the Mopar SRT offerings were hot and Ralph Gilles was playing daddy warbucks producing whatever cool high horsepower cars he wanted. (When SRT was actually a separate entity) I learned quite a bit about these smarter ECU's in that time. To sum it up, you need a knowledgeable ECU tuner to properly modify all PIDS to work in concert with your physical modifications (parts you bolt on or modify) It can be done, albeit at an ever increasing price as less and less folks are smart enough to outsmart the box controlling output. This is all I have time for at the moment, I'm actujust sitting down for lunch. If I missed something I'll be back soon. Enjoy the day!

I read folks talking about short term\long term trim and whatnot being partially to blame.

Real quick, fuel trims are an input to the ECU, used for adjusting and compensating A/FR's. Let's say you yanked a vacuum line off with the engine running. The fuel trim will now go positive, because the ECU must now add fuel to overcome the lean condition and keep the engine running. Also the check engine light will likely illuminate to report an abnormal condition, and that the car will no longer meet federal emission standards. Long trim is a reference point average and can more so be "blamed" for reigning in power output. It's a factor but not entirely the culprit.

Fuel trims are no "Lone Wolf", and are only partly responsible for keeping Engine output at a set known value.

A wealth of information that I've come to look forward unto when I fire up the old 'puter.

With the information you have provided in this thread I could easily spend a full day analyzing all of your responses and formulating new. even if some where similar. inquiries.
The potentiometer of me youth was the volume switch of an AM radio. Searching for the perfect level, as I laid in bed, listening to music from far away stations as the radio waves bounced from ionosphere to earth for hundreds of miles at night.

As a child in the '60's I was treated with three, yes count 'em three, network channels. Upon commercial break I jumped up grabbing the tuner dial firmly twisting quickly to another channel. I was scolded by my father that I was in essence, "tearing up the TV" with my utter disregard for the fragile electronic component. Then the day came when the Tele went on the blink, no doubt my fault for such dealt abuse, and a repairman was summoned.

Girded with leather belt containing pliers, screwdrivers, volt\ohmmeter with electrical tape and spooled solder dangling it was quite the site to behold for a young lad. Most mystifying was when he broke the big gun, the soldering iron. None of dad's mamsy-pamsy tube swapping, in blatant cheapskate fashion, to avoid the dreaded service call where one must pay for him showing up on the porch. What a novel idea.

No, this man totin' all these tools of troubleshooting and repair was a pro. Now, I was going to see the doctor operate with scalpel in hand and perhaps a wisp of smoke.after tinning the soldering iron. But today a new tool emerged. A can of pressurized tuner cleaner complete with long skinny tube applicator allowing this elixir of electronics to be applied, under pressure mind you, with pinpoint accuracy. What a marvel! First the Beatles and now this,

What's next an 8-track stereo sound system for your automobile? Please, it's rhetorical let's not have our heads lingering in the clouds of fantasy and pipe-dreams.

This guy doesn't even shake the can first. He's spraying the tuner to kingdom come. As the scent of petroleum distillates wafted through the room, to my eager nostrils, I could sense some serious [censored] was about to hit the fan. Eyes agog peripheral vision stands down; as if affixed with blinders I summon all powers of concentration. Tunnel vision achieved with no sense of any other stimuli [audio, video or subliminal] within me surroundings I have elevated my consciousness of this moment to that of a Zen master.

Meaty hand grasps the tuner knob, with the grip of a grizzly on spawning salmon, and to my horror spins the rotary dial so violently that surely gears must strip. Not once nor twice mind you, but what seemed an eternity as I stand there mouth wide open mesmerized. Boy, is dad gonna be [censored]! I could be in trouble just for being too close to the carnage.

Little doubt in me mind that collateral damage would include my selection of a suitable switch from the front yard for administering capital punishment from which there was no appeal or pardon. I was setup like a bowlin' pin as a patsy for this guy the whole time and never saw it coming. He was diabolical and probably advanced to midway pitchman for a traveling carnival.

And then gently rotating the dial a clear view of all three channels emerges one after the other. For what I had my intuitive butt gnawed on this schmuck was paid and handsomely at that. It wasn't fair and I knew it though I didn't walk away unhanded. Dad was wrong and I was right. Finally i had him over the barrel. Mostly a moral victory for sure that on rare occasion, down the pike, I could leverage as a valid point of argument.
-----

Ah yes the ever popular "Sport Mode". Faux power at its finest. It has to be more powerful because I only give 'er a bit of gas and man she flies. I never understood why they didn't continue to apply throttle. Is this the subconscious mind at work or the salesman planting the seed of propaganda? Reminiscent of aftermarket, fly by wire,of course, accelerator kits that can be "dialed in" as to how much pedal movement vs how much throttle response.

You certainly are correct. It is becoming harder for the gearhead to tinker successfully in defeating the parameters of power as supplied by the factory for gains on a shoestring budget. Where it seems everyone wishes to up boost, for good reason, few speak of torque management. Somewhat as the masses praise HP gains whilst a few poke around eyeballin' extra torque predominately as their goal.

At least the internet provides tons of info though a lot merely parroted by some that aren't as knowledgeable as they'd like others to believe. If I may be so bold to suggest that a good percentage of grenaded mills was the result of poorly planned\executed hop-up attempts by folks that meant well. but weren't seeped in the basics. Time and again I've read someone post that their engine finally submitted to this unknown gremlin and they must now strip all of the performance parts off so they will qualify for warranty.

It's the shoplifting\insurance\accident fraud syndrome where people attempt to justify their action by claiming no one personally is damaged and these large corporation will absorb the losses without consequence to consumers as a whole.

That along with ability of some to implement piggyback chips, reflashed ECU and basic bolt-ons are what killed the turbo in the Sonata line. First the turbo is downsized after 4-5 years then it's pulled. I understand late 2020 there's a 2.5 turbo engine as the new and improved Theta. I'll wager that nut harder to crack for additional non-oem gains.

Ford at one time sold performance chips for their vehicles at about a C-note a pop. And stood behind warranty. Not 10ys 10K miles.

On the fuel trim I was always suspicious of piggyback chips. As I understand the trim has a default petrol mix in case of the main\first O2 sensor catastrophe. That AFR is rich, to accommodate all conditions, yet the percentage should be based on the factory parameters. What happens when say you've modded your engine from 274hp to 315hp depending on the O2 sensor to maintain proper mix for the roughly 15% more hp?

Will the long term fuel trim intervene\supply values just prior to O2 termination or will the ECU rely strictly on factory set AFR that's richer than normal?

ETA: On the 6 speed A\T of the 2.0T what if any aftermarket ATF would you recommend? OM states every 30K and dealer price of $400, x 3 for over 90K on the clock, that is destined as partial funding for a tranny as needed. It shifts fine now. Very solid and very up to\not quite point of being harsh. I'm careful with pedal on a short shift to second not to punch it mid shift. Even the factory ATF has changed at least once several years ago. As I approach 6 digits I'm thinking a fresh change might not be a bad idea and there's several tutorials on utube.

I also wondered about the oil weight. As I recall the earlier oil was thicker and the replacement, claimed for more MPG, was thinner.

Obviously I don't know ...
----
It did dawn on me that even with O2 failure and 15% more hp than factory that one might feather the pedal so to speak safely until securing a new O2 sensor.

Last edited:
UPDATE on the 2011 Sonata with 3 dropped Cylinders. There gonna trade it in since it still does run and drives before the end of the year. Neighbor did not specify what there going to be looking at for another vehicle but said -- it WONT be a Hyundai!!!!

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
UPDATE on the 2011 Sonata with 3 dropped Cylinders. There gonna trade it in since it still does run and drives before the end of the year. Neighbor did not specify what there going to be looking at for another vehicle but said -- it WONT be a Hyundai!!!!

Right on. Thanks for the update! I was curious of the outcome.

ETA: On the 6 speed A\T of the 2.0T what if any aftermarket ATF would you recommend? OM states every 30K and dealer price of $400, x 3 for over 90K on the clock, that is destined as partial funding for a tranny as needed. It shifts fine now. Very solid and very up to\not quite point of being harsh. I'm careful with pedal on a short shift to second not to punch it mid shift. Even the factory ATF has changed at least once several years ago. As I approach 6 digits I'm thinking a fresh change might not be a bad idea and there's several tutorials on utube.

I also wondered about the oil weight. As I recall the earlier oil was thicker and the replacement, claimed for more MPG, was thinner.

Obviously I don't know.

I'll field this one really quick, (and thanks for the childhood story. Entertaining read!) only have a bit of time but I do have my convictions on transmission fluid for Hyundai/Kia. I've found lower viscosity fluids to work absolutely wonderfully in the 6 speed. The 6 speed is also a very reliable and stout transmission I may add. My recommendation for fluid in the 6 speed would be either Valvoline's MaxLife ATF, which is synthetic and possesses lots of anti-wear additives, or Mobil 1 LV ATF. I like a low viscosity atf in these for cold weather performance mainly, but as an added bonus a slightly lower viscosity fluid will allow the torque converter to flash or stall at a slightly higher RPM from a standing start. This is a trick I used in my Ford drag cars. In the Fords I could achieve nearly 200 RPM more stall speed at the starting line with lower viscosity synthetic ATF, and never fearing the fluid cooking or failing. Maxlife is my favorite and is approved for use in place of SP3 and SP4. Both of these fluids are approximately the same viscosity as Ford Mercon LV or Dexron 6, which is ever so slightly thinner than Kia SP4 (or properly called SP-IV-M)

FEE30C5B-9C1F-4AF4-B104-53DA974B5A76.jpeg

8910B51D-E804-4F05-9051-86A1AE7212B3.jpeg

Last edited:
Newer tech is what ruined them, We have an 05 Tucson with 170k miles on it, no turbo, no GDI crap just a plain little V6. It doesn't use a drop of oil and runs perfect.

I'm also one that strongly agrees, if you buy a turbocharged vehicle you should not ever run 87 octane junk fuel. I don't care if the manual says you can, don't! Your car will last much longer I would almost bet on it!

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Newer tech is what ruined them, We have an 05 Tucson with 170k miles on it, no turbo, no GDI crap just a plain little V6. It doesn't use a drop of oil and runs perfect.

I'm also one that strongly agrees, if you buy a turbocharged vehicle you should not ever run 87 octane junk fuel. I don't care if the manual says you can, don't! Your car will last much longer I would almost bet on it!

We must have the same model car. 2005 Tuscon 2.7L V6. It has 220K miles and burns no oil ... I really like this car. But we also have the di version. Tuscan 2014 2.4L GDI , 4 cyl (not a turbo) with about 88K ... Both purchased new so I know the history. So far both are doing well.

I was against the di but wife wanted it after test driving a few similar cars including RAV4 and Honda crv, etc. I was pushing for Toyota.
grin2.gif
I think rav4 is di also.

Obviously I don't know.

I'll field this one really quick, (and thanks for the childhood story. Entertaining read!) only have a bit of time but I do have my convictions on transmission fluid for Hyundai/Kia. I've found lower viscosity fluids to work absolutely wonderfully in the 6 speed. The 6 speed is also a very reliable and stout transmission I may add. My recommendation for fluid in the 6 speed would be either Valvoline's MaxLife ATF, which is synthetic and possesses lots of anti-wear additives, or Mobil 1 LV ATF. I like a low viscosity atf in these for cold weather performance mainly, but as an added bonus a slightly lower viscosity fluid will allow the torque converter to flash or stall at a slightly higher RPM from a standing start. This is a trick I used in my Ford drag cars. In the Fords I could achieve nearly 200 RPM more stall speed at the starting line with lower viscosity synthetic ATF, and never fearing the fluid cooking or failing. Maxlife is my favorite and is approved for use in place of SP3 and SP4. Both of these fluids are approximately the same viscosity as Ford Mercon LV or Dexron 6, which is ever so slightly thinner than Kia SP4 (or properly called SP-IV-M)

My father was a M1 10w40 fan. I'll try the Mobil 1 LV ATF. About 15 years ago I was riding a watercooled wet clutch bike. I switched to M1 even though I knew the clutch wouldn't last due to the friction modifiers in this synthetic oil. Around 35K she started slipping. On air cooled I changed crankcase oil from 1-1.5K. Watercooled 4-5K and the rearend gear oil at same time.

One day whilst draining a bottle of M! into the plastic funnel I noted something unusual for me. As the last remains dripped I was spellbound as those drips hit the plastic and rolled, seeming to accelerate, to the tip of the funnel. Quite the parlour trick I thought, As well it produced a distinctive sound.

Any kid that had trash burning as a chore knows this sound by heart. In playing alien invader, lording over the local trashpile bugs, the ray beam of death most preferred was the empty gallon jug of Clorox bleach and a sturdy branch 1\2" x 2' inserted into the throat. After the trash was burning well the jug was held over the fire moving it about as a human rotisserie . Slowly in somewhat macabre fashion the big jug would contort, twixt and shrivel "losing" the gl worth of inside area.

Then the tip was held steady directly over an open flame. Black smoke quickly ensued then the remnants of the jug caught fire at that spot. A controlled burn. As it burned it also melted and small piece, still afire, fell victim to gravity. Woe to the unsuspecting bug that happened to be a victim of circumstance in the wrong place at the wrong time. Moving the stick you aimed at the population you were conquering on the ground.

It isn't in the least bit surprising for a young lad, that also thought it cool to attempt lizard electrocution by holding the tail and laying the body on a hot DC fence-charged wire, that the heat of burning petro chemicals will induce fight or flight response. In retrospect I feel I was about as accurate as a WWII Norden bombsight. Had I been throwing horseshoes I would've racked up a lot of points getting close.

The sound even seemed to come from a Sci-Fi B movie. A za-a-oohup or zoop stretched out. That was the sound I heard when the single drop of M1 hit the funnel running in true ball bearing shape. Never had I seen a drop of oil do anything save splatter on a funnel. To maintain a round shape upon striking and hold that shape spinning to the bottom was astonishing to me.

The PID you are referring to is actually called "adaptation value for lower mechanical stop of electronic wastegate actuator", and while this sounds and appears to have a lot to do with boost pressure, it actually has very little to do with the boost pressure output.

This is simply a reference point for the ECU to know when the wastegate is closed.

[Does the flap actually close or is the term close a reference to being as close as the flap is going to get hence term "mechanical close"? I thought extra boosted mills experiencing EWGA chatter were actually physically closing against the exhaust manifold; internal WG]

Being that this value is an adaptive value, it is also an average.

[Should this average only change do to wear of the actuator? Isn't this a set value in the ECU from the factory that's allowed a range +\-, V\length of rod to be within acceptable perimeter?]

If the ECU receives an errant value more than twice in a row, a DTC is set. If it continues to send a bad (low or high value) the ECU will set the map to forced limit power and/or forced limit rpm, e.g. "limp mode". This is to protect the engine from an over boost condition, which will cause a lean AFR. Cylinder number 2 is notorious for this condition, as it has a very straight line of sight from the throttle body to the intake port through the inlet manifold, and tends to get the biggest "gulp" of air.

I digress.

This value is more of a protective measure, not a tuning value. You will experience very little via butt dyno by changing the adaptive value of the EWGA. An aftermarket ECU tune "defeats" this value by substituting a standard "good value" (which is faked). I've seen plenty of cars with ECU tunes loaded and had subsequently melted the ring land off cylinder two, or in less catastrophic cases simply melted the electrode off the spark plug. I always know the ECU has a tune on it because the ROM ID is a series of letters and numbers, and on ECU's with a tune loaded it will read XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

The 2016 and up inlet manifold was redesigned to account for better air distribution.

[That was the year Kia Theta II dropped about 24hp but only a couple of ft-lb torque. I presume the bulk was differing intake cam profile, but might the intake manifold have had effect in that drop of HP as well? I am a little surprised that the number two runner area wasn't restricted a mite to hinder volume\promote a more even balance of air. Another theory bandied about was heat from the turbo that was positioned in close proximity to number 2 cylinder. This gains traction when the boost is increased and\or owner plays track day. Especially in areas that experience temps well above 90* for several months of the year. Combined with nowhere near the airflow to relieve the increased heat load. It's not as if on the Autobahn running 130+mph for hours or five miles WFO on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Urban areas lots of concrete, blacktop, vehicles, stop-n-go, etc.]

Go forth cautiously with tuning, usually the people loading ECU tunes on these cars are not well versed in the dynamics of tuning particular cylinders individually, and end up with a lean condition in cylinder two.

[Not being a kid, at least by age, I only went for the silver instead of the gold. I'm happy with the extra power and the delivery that I've achieved and for the most part seek little if no more. The early models ran a super fat AFR which is why a little more boost work so well. That combined with wideband 02 left a nice cushion to exploit.]

The only way to know for sure is through the use of four individual pyrometers on the outlet of the head, to tune each individual cylinder's fuel delivery rate over all loads on a dynamometer.

[Right now I'm hoping to schedule a dyno run before summer just to see where I'm at now. It's an auto that has served me well and in a couple of weeks will be on its tenth year less than a tenth away from the six digit mark. I'm not seeking 300whp. I merely want a healthy bump with faster lowend response. FWD without limited slip is kind of as dancing on marbles. One must analyse the situation with a wee bit more than the old school traction bars approach.

Would you agree: The target exhaust camshaft position is a predetermined value depending on engine speed and throttle angle in the ECM & that value is preset regardless of original actuator voltage setting, so long as that voltage stays within a set acceptable +\- range? Where camshaft will respond exactly the same to an auto set at 3.7V or 4.7V. The early exhaust camshaft being hydraulically activated could care less what is happening electronically. Not so after electronic solenoid was employed.

The value is set where the actuator will move X-amount or to X-spot, depending on values received from various sensors, and this\these spots will not deviate with change of original actuator voltage setting. Whether set at 3.7, 4.2 or 4.7 once set it will follow the exact same movement\length\start\stop\timing or map as the ECU only interprets the actuator to be set properly and within range. This is why when drifting out of preferred setting the engine doesn't respond as it would when properly set. Ja, ja, ja?

By voltage moving enough away from preferred setting, though still acceptable, it is in essence out of time with the preferred setting. It's out of time because the ECU moves the rod the same regardless of acceptable setting. Otherwise, you would never notice a change in performance until limp mode kicked in. Then you also wouldn't notice a change when set properly.

Last edited:
The actuator value I refer unto in the latter paragraphs, hydraulic camshaft notwithstanding, can best be described as the actuator rod movement. It only has two ways to move though the speed could vary I suppose. If the ECU knew what V\best voltage it could adjust the movement on the fly. Doesn't know the voltage, doesn't care.

The values are set for the best all around voltage. With no need to determine the voltage, so long as within acceptable range, the ECU sends the same signal to the actuator under the same signals from sensors whether 3.7, 4.7 or anywhere between.

Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back