2020 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by edyvw
Is that Expedition from time of rusted Toyota frames? So basically Expedition was able to get to mechanics shop bcs. well frame was still there.
Toyota was NOT the only auto manufacturer that purchased frames from Dana Corp, and the frames that Dana sold to Toyota were not the only frames that had issues. For the record, Ford & GM also purchased frames from Dana, and they also had rust issues as well as stress cracking issues with them. FYI, Ford was Dana's largest customer. The resulting lawsuits and settlements forced Dana out of the frame business.
As I understand it, the problem specific to Toyota frames manufactured by Dana was that, unknown to Toyota, Dana substituted a lower quality softer steel that was cheaper and easier to hydroform in a fully boxed frame design, but the lower quality steel was also much more prone to rust in salty climates. Also, the bare frames were not prepped properly before priming and painting. Toyota took partial responsibility for the problem because of the fact that the fully boxed frame design would allow debris to build-up inside the frame and hold moisture. The frames that Dana produced for the other manufacturers were not fully boxed and hydroformed at that time, so Dana used harder steel, but the harder steel that they used in these frames was subject to stress cranking and the frames breaking, which was (and is) a problem that Ford & GM trucks had with Dana frames manufactured during that time frame.
Like I said before, to Toyota's credit, they took care of their customers, and they rectified the problem. Toyota is a company that learns from their mistakes, and unlike many other auto manufacturers, doesn't repeat them. IMO Toyota buyers do not have to worry about this problem.
Since Ford is now using fully boxed hydroformed frames on its F150s and Expeditions, I expect to see this same problem appear on them at some point in the future.

Toyota had a class action lawsuit levied against them to get them to act, the same with the sludge issue. This was not them being proactive. You are peddling a seriously revisionist account of what transpired here, framing Toyota as this virtuous entity, when the reality is that, like with the sludge issue, that's far from the case:
Toyota agrees to settle US truck rust lawsuit for up to 3.4 billion

(Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) has agreed to a settlement of up to $3.4 billion for a federal class action brought by U.S. owners of pickup trucks and SUVs whose frames could rust through, plaintiffs lawyers have said in court papers.

The proposed settlement covers about 1.5 million Tacoma compact pickups, Tundra full-size pickups and Sequoia SUVs alleged to have received inadequate rust protection that could lead to corrosion serious enough to jeopardize their structural integrity, according to court papers.

Attorneys for the plaintiffs in court papers supporting the settlement estimated the value of frame replacements at about $3.375 billion based on a cost of about $15,000 per vehicle and the inspections at about $90 million at $60 per vehicle.

Toyota admitted no liability or wrongdoing in the proposed settlement filed on Wednesday before U.S. District Judge Fernando Olguin in Los Angeles.

Furthermore, the issue for Toyota extended far beyond fully-boxed hydroformed frames, this is a first gen Tacoma:
[Linked Image from i.kinja-img.com]

Ford wasn't having frames rotting out from underneath Expeditions while Tundras were being recalled for their frames disintegrating. We've owned two Expeditions in the rust belt, my parents are still rolling in a 2000. Ford also wasn't in a class-action lawsuit over a similar issue, which leads one to the conclusion that Ford must have had significantly better QC of the product Dana was providing them than Toyota, or there's more to the story than just the supplier.

As I understand it, the problem specific to Toyota frames manufactured by Dana was that, unknown to Toyota, Dana substituted a lower quality softer steel that was cheaper and easier to hydroform in a fully boxed frame design, but the lower quality steel was also much more prone to rust in salty climates.

One does not simply "substitute" one metal for another in manufacturing, as any manufacturer should/will request the MTR. When I made parts for the steel mills, EVERYTHING we shipped was required to have the MTR with it. The different properties of a different metal will also affect crash test results. The change in metal was likely decided long before final okay for production.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Dinosaur. And a brontosaurus at that ... Not even a meat eater.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Japanese didn't get this market segment right when the model first came out. The sales have always been dismal compared to what Ford and Chevrolet/GMC offers.

Comments such as "this would be my first choice" doesn't surprise me at all on here.

This is the forum where new tech is often misunderstood and the Saturday mechanics on here run the other way......... to avoid it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
the issue for Toyota extended far beyond fully-boxed hydroformed frames
The entire frame was manufactured from lower quality softer steel then specified and had insufficient primer/paint prep, not just the front boxed section. These were the manufacturing problems that were uncovered during the government investigation. Toyota was definitely guilty of not watching the quality of the frames coming from Dana, and paid the price, to the tune of over $3 billion. There MAY have even been some back room under-the-table shenanigans going on between Dana and some of Toyota's employees, this sort of thing is not unheard of.
I want to point out that 4Runners manufactured during this same time period in Japan, using a frame that is almost identical to the Tacoma frame but NOT manufactured by Dana, did not have the same rust issues.
I noticed that nobody mentioned the Dana frame cracking issues that GM and Ford trucks have suffered from, or Ford's lawsuit against Dana for a frame rusting issue. I personally know several people who have experienced cracked frames on Chevy trucks. Also, nobody can tell me that Expeditions don't rust out, I have seen MANY of them with my own eyes that have rust holes big enough to put a fist through and entire body sections gone (most of them with the 4.6L because the 5.4L's typically wouldn't last that long, but that is another topic of discussion).
Am I claiming that Toyota products won't rust? No, of course not! ALL vehicles driven in salt climates will eventually rust.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Toyota also won a 25 million settlement against Dana Corp for the faulty frames supplied to Toyota.

Yep, I am aware. Which in my mind makes them both complicit in this disaster. Toyota for obviously not verifying QC on the product Dana provided and Dana for using improper corrosion protection or materials. My point with mentioning the lawsuit was not to focus blame solely on Toyota, but to point out that the frame replacements wasn't something they embarked upon of their own volition; as some virtuous gesture as stated by wag123, but rather they were sued into doing. Why Toyota constantly gets framed as this bastion of ethical virtue by some completely baffles me, they are a massive heartless corporation and they act like one, placing them on this artificial pedestal makes one look like an irrational groupie
21.gif

I seem to remember the steel for the Dana frames was from south of the border.

Didn't Dana also have the contract for the axles and suspension? I thought the frames came as a complete assembly when they arrived at NUMMI?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
the issue for Toyota extended far beyond fully-boxed hydroformed frames
The entire frame was manufactured from lower quality softer steel then specified and had insufficient primer/paint prep, not just the front boxed section. These were the manufacturing problems that were uncovered during the government investigation. Toyota was definitely guilty of not watching the quality of the frames coming from Dana, and paid the price, to the tune of over $3 billion. There MAY have even been some back room under-the-table shenanigans going on between Dana and some of Toyota's employees, this sort of thing is not unheard of.
I want to point out that 4Runners manufactured during this same time period in Japan, using a frame that is almost identical to the Tacoma frame but NOT manufactured by Dana, did not have the same rust issues.
I noticed that nobody mentioned the Dana frame cracking issues that GM and Ford trucks have suffered from, or Ford's lawsuit against Dana for a frame rusting issue. I personally know several people who have experienced cracked frames on Chevy trucks. Also, nobody can tell me that Expeditions don't rust out, I have seen MANY of them with my own eyes that have rust holes big enough to put a fist through and entire body sections gone (most of them with the 4.6L because the 5.4L's typically wouldn't last that long, but that is another topic of discussion).
Am I claiming that Toyota products won't rust? No, of course not! ALL vehicles driven in salt climates will eventually rust.

Rust on the bodies of Expeditions (the rockers rotted out on mine due to plugged sunroof drains for example) is an entirely separate issue as it is quite obvious Dana didn't build the bodies for Ford, right? Come on, let's try and keep this at least mostly between the lines here.

Toyota dropped the ball and didn't do incoming QC, plain and simple. They should have been doing spot checks and ongoing analysis to ensure that they were getting what they paid for. That, or... they got what they paid for.

Originally Posted by CKN
This is the forum where new tech is often misunderstood and the Saturday mechanics on here run the other way......... to avoid it.

And for good reason. Unless if you think the average BITOG'er has all sorts of money lying around to deal with all the teething issues that new models have? Shouldn't people be cautious with their own money, especially if they are stretching it on the thin side?

Originally Posted by supton
Toyota dropped the ball and didn't do incoming QC, plain and simple. They should have been doing spot checks and ongoing analysis to ensure that they were getting what they paid for. That, or... they got what they paid for.

Exactly. And, once discovered, it shouldn't have required a multi-billion dollar class action lawsuit to get them to act, but it did.

I think some people believe that there are these higher standards of ethics in Japan that somehow put them above what transpires in the rest of the world. Having read the documentation on Tepco and the backroom deals regarding their operations, particularly at Fukushima, you essentially had an environment where there was little to no separation between those being regulated and those doing the regulation. This was an environment fraught with corruption, in an industry where independent oversight and review is absolutely paramount. You cannot tell me with a straight face that if they were incapable of running a properly regulated nuclear industry, that their auto industry is somehow the exception.

Does anyone here honestly believe that this sort of thing is limited to Toyota and other Japanese companies?
I hate to tell you this, corruption abounds in the corporate world! NONE of the big corporations are friends of the "little guy" and most of the corporate managers are in it for themselves. Just look at what Ford did to their customers who purchased Fiestas and Focuses with the "destined to fail" DCT transmissions. After this debacle, does anyone here think that Ford has their customer's best interests at heart? And, what about VW's dieselgate debacle? Does anyone here think that VW would have done what they did for their customers if they weren't forced to do so?

Does anyone here honestly believe that this sort of thing is limited to Toyota and other Japanese companies?

Nope--they all suck. If I didn't drive so much, and if I was mechanically inclined, I'd never buy a new car.

I hate to tell you this, corruption abounds in the corporate world! NONE of the big corporations are friends of the "little guy" and most of the corporate managers are in it for themselves. Just look at what Ford did to their customers who purchased Fiestas and Focuses with the "destined to fail" DCT transmissions. After this debacle, does anyone here think that Ford has their customer's best interests at heart? And, what about VW's dieselgate debacle? Does anyone here think that VW would have done what they did for their customers if they weren't forced to do so?

Your bending backward in defense is starting to look sad. It was funny, but now it is going into desperate territory.
Since you touched on DCT, do know that Ford makes some of the best small diesel engines in Europe, unlike Toyota that actually just gave up after abysmal attempts. And yes, Ford is playing games with DCT recalls, VW deliberatly cheated customers, and Toyota is still telling people that rough shifting and failed transmissions at 3,000 miles is actually normal thing. They are corporation like any other, they just figured out how to sell 20yr old technology and convince buyer to be happy driving it.

Your bending backward in defense is starting to look sad. It was funny, but now it is going into desperate territory.
Since you touched on DCT, do know that Ford makes some of the best small diesel engines in Europe, unlike Toyota that actually just gave up after abysmal attempts. And yes, Ford is playing games with DCT recalls, VW deliberatly cheated customers, and Toyota is still telling people that rough shifting and failed transmissions at 3,000 miles is actually normal thing. They are corporation like any other, they just figured out how to sell 20yr old technology and convince buyer to be happy driving it.
1. Your claim of Toyota (Aisin) transmissions failing at 3000 miles is nonsense. For the record, I have never had a Aisin transmission fail on me, and in all the years I have been involved in the car business I have only seen a handful of Aisin transmission failures, most of which had very high miles. The same can NOT be said of anyone else's automatic transmissions.
2. Ford's warranty extensions and recalls are NOT going to fix the DCT problem. This was corporate fraud perpetrated on their customers for profit (just like what VW did), plain and simple.
3. What does Ford's DCT have to do with their small diesel engines in Europe?
4. With the exception of trucks, all of the manufacturers are giving-up on diesel engines. They are no-longer viable for use in passenger vehicles going forward unless emission regulations are relaxed, which isn't going to happen. Europe is also going down this road.

Last edited:

1. Your claim of Toyota (Aisin) transmissions failing at 3000 miles is nonsense. For the record, I have never had a Aisin transmission fail on me, and in all the years I have been involved in the car business I have only seen a handful of Aisin transmission failures, most of which had very high miles. The same can NOT be said of anyone else's automatic transmissions.
2. Ford's warranty extensions and recalls are NOT going to fix the DCT problem. This was corporate fraud perpetrated on their customers for profit (just like what VW did), plain and simple.
3. What does Ford's DCT have to do with their small diesel engines in Europe?
4. With the exception of trucks, all of the manufacturers are giving-up on diesel engines. They are no-longer viable for use in passenger vehicles going forward unless emission regulations are relaxed, which isn't going to happen. Europe is also going down this road.

You can go on Toyota Nation forum on HL or Sienna subforums and you can actually find written evidence of Aisin 8 speed transmission failures, Toyota deflection of issues etc. I for one did not want Sienna with 8 speed precisely bcs. there is abundant evidence that transmission is problematic even on self congratulatory forums like Toyota Nation. In the end it is Sienna, it is POS, 8 speed or 6 speed. It does not matter, but at least I will not get letter from Toyota saying: rough shifts and shaking are normal operation.
DTC and Toyota small engine issues? Just pointing to the fact that Toyota is involved in same BS as others. Toyota's 2.2 D-4D engines could not make more than 100,000kkm before pistons cracked, heads cracked etc. Two possibilities: Toyota never tested engines to the point or Toyota knew about issues but figured that they could deflect it (which they tried to do it in the end). In the end same like with Ford DCT, what Toyota attempted to do with 2.2 D-4D did not change the fact that engine was a pure garbage.
So, Toyota frame issues? Nothing but low quality product coming out of Toyota factory.
Other way to think about that is that Ford Expedition problems are really not Ford's problems, but certain supplier problem.

This was previous Camry model.
Anyone that puts "response" into same sentence with Camry (or pretty much any Toyota model) is enough to tell how "serious" they are.

Hilarious!
Must be tough for you living in a country where you can't fully exploit your advanced driving skills - and a job that requires it - like you did driving every day at 120 mph on your version of the Bosnian autobahn.

Originally Posted by ndfergy

This was previous Camry model.
Anyone that puts "response" into same sentence with Camry (or pretty much any Toyota model) is enough to tell how "serious" they are.

Hilarious!
Must be tough for you living in a country where you can't fully exploit your advanced driving skills - and a job that requires it - like you did driving every day at 120 mph on your version of the Bosnian autobahn.

Bosnian version of autobahn is projected for maximum speed of 155mph. Speed limit is 80mph. Design requirements are same as in Germany and rest of the EU.
And yes, 120mph is pretty common.
Now, the fact that you connect responsiveness to speed, kind of explain why you think Camry is uber vehicle.
But, do tell us more.

Last edited:
Hmm…research states otherwise on Bosnian roads but I won't beleaguer the point.

Response is very important to me if you've read any of my posts. And no, I don't wax lyrical on Toyota.

Feel free to check my posts anonymously and see for yourself: Google All posts made by ndfergy site:bobistheoilguy.com

Originally Posted by ndfergy
Hmm…research states otherwise on Bosnian roads but I won't beleaguer the point.

Response is very important to me if you've read any of my posts. And no, I don't wax lyrical on Toyota.

Feel free to check my posts anonymously and see for yourself: Google All posts made by ndfergy site:bobistheoilguy.com

It is very easy to research Bosnian roads, or maybe you make a trip.
I do not need to research your posts. You went from fine handling to loosing it over my post that response and Toyota do not go into same sentence (and they do not). It si appliance vehicle through and through. You cannot make pie out of malarky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back