Lower CCA more durable? (still above factory spec).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at batteries for the Camry to replace the 9 year old JCI factory battery at some point. The car specs ~580 cca, I believe. (The old battery is testing at ~460 cca.)
I have the 4-cylinder and use 0w20 synthetic oil, so starting demands shouldn't be crazy high, I wouldn't think (this theory agrees with the still-functioning 9-year-old factory battery).

My question, though, is whether using the "mid-grade" battery - e.g. Autocraft Silver, Duralast Red, Everstart Plus - would provide a better lifespan than, say, the Autocraft Gold, Duralast Gold, Everstart Maxx. I've heard that cca come at the expense of lifespan, due to the plates being thinner or some such thing... That is, would a 650 cca battery outlast an 850 cca model, all else equal? Would it be more durable? (I know that warranties are longer on the more expensive ones, just some food for thought.) I have no problem buying a more expensive battery, but I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas about whether the theory about durability holds up. Thanks! As far as location is concerned, I see plenty of winter weather here in MN. Summers are warm but generally don't hit 90, so batteries don't seem to cook as they do further south. And I'm not suggesting going below the factory rating either. (But that does beg the question: do they lose cca at the same pace? Would the lower cca battery have way fewer cca 5 years out than the higher cca battery?) At any rate, just an interesting question.

I've always looked for the biggest physical size battery that would fit, with the lowest CCA that meets or slightly exceeds the vehicle specs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TmanP
I'm looking at batteries for the Camry to replace the 9 year old JCI factory battery at some point.

That's easy....buy another factory battery.

No one can easily predict battery longevity... Given you are up in a colder climate area that is very helpful. I would just get a group 24f battery like the a Napa or O Reilly's East Penn battery... A mid tier one would be a good way to go.. it is the 624fmf battery with 650 CCA and 115 min reserve capacity that weighs 41 pounds.

In my 78 Jeep CJ-7 I was going thru a battery a year. I was living in Baltimore at the time so we had winters and I wanted the most powerful battery. I was always getting the 1000cc batteries. The Jeep rode so hard I think it shook the batteries to death. After the 3rd battery and old timer at the Pep Boys said I should just get a standard 500-600CCA battery since the Jeep only called for like 450CC. Got a 525CC battery and it lasted 4 years. I think the thinner plates in the high CCA batteries just were not as durable. From here on out I always buy the recommended battery CCA or no more than 100CCA more.

The car doesn't really "spec" a battery, that was merely the size + grade they found cost effective to get the majority to have no starting issues in that climate for as many dealers & customers as possible - mitigated by their bean counters keeping cost low.

If you get the mid-grade battery, it has less lead in it and won't last as long (all else equal) before the available CCA drops below the minimum you need. This also assumes normal wear, not some condition like alternator with voltage regulator failure that cooks away the electrolyte before you notice a problem, or another alternator problem that results in poor charge so either battery was perpetually running at partial low charge.

The way to get a longer lasting battery is go AGM, or go with a flooded start/run type battery which has thicker lead plates but less surface area so the CCA is lower. The latter option is probably not a good choice for you since you live in a cold winter climate, but in a warm climate, 300CA is plenty to start any modern car, BUT remember that it drops as it ages so the more you start with, the larger a margin you have, but the structure of a starter battery means that dips in voltage damage the structure far more than a start/run, let alone deep cycle design. It doesn't drop way faster with the economy flooded battery, rather there's just less to start with so as the %/year drop takes away from total capacity, you'll need a new battery sooner. It's the same high surface area structure, subject to the same degradation, just using less lead so less total surface area.

9 years is a great outcome for the factory battery. Why not just get another of the same under whichever JC relabel you prefer like at Costco or Walmart?

Last edited:
FWIW Midtronics states to consider replacing at 60% and a failure is 50% of original CCA. By that metric you're still good.

9 years is of course sketchy to most people.

There seem to be a rash of complaints lately about batteries-- all makes!

I've been wondering if the marine dual deep cycle/starting batteries might be a better fit in some applications-they are heavier, assuming the plates are thicker (to handle deep cycle duties), at some cost to CCA (might only be 550 instead of 700-800 in a group 24)?

Yes, two batteries identical physical size, the one with lower CCA will have thicker and thus stronger plates. But in many cases there are not a whole lot of choices in CCA for a given group size. You can special order a bunch more varieties from Interstate but local Interstate guys will not stock more than the "norm" for a given group size.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Originally Posted by TmanP
I'm looking at batteries for the Camry to replace the 9 year old JCI factory battery at some point.

That's easy....buy another factory battery.

Yes my Toyota dealer has a special $129 installed. My first Toyota battery I replaced in 8.5 years never had a problem with it. Winter was coming. Second batter was a Les Schwab it lasted 6 years. I'm back to the factory 84 month battery.

My recent experience with Autocraft Silver batteries has not been great. I chose them partially because of the Lower CCA=thicker plates/longevity theory. The last three I purchased have not made it past 3 years. Some will say that is acceptable. I had hoped for more.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I've been wondering if the marine dual deep cycle/starting batteries might be a better fit in some applications-they are heavier, assuming the plates are thicker (to handle deep cycle duties), at some cost to CCA (might only be 550 instead of 700-800 in a group 24)?

I'm running a group 27DC in my pickup. Seems to work well so far. I don't think the truck will outlast the battery at this point.

I have considered going to a DC in my Jeep. Longer winch pulls, leaving it sitting on the trails OFF with the fan on, etc all seem to be rough on the battery. The one that's in there is 4 years old at this point and I've had to jump it off a few times now.

A battery that can last 4 years plus and does not lead acid on battery terminals, that is a good battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back