'20 Hyundai Sonata -- Wow-ee! Looks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Not impressed
sick.gif

I'm impressed by anything that puts Vortex Generators on the tops of the tail lights. Nice drag reduction there.
[Linked Image from hips.hearstapps.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paoester
Hard to explain why I think the styling is right. Car and Driver already said the silver strip along the hood sides is "polarizing".
Looking like the only 2 engine choices are a 1.6T & 2.0T, no non-turbo offered. 2019 had a 2.4L sans-turbo DI.

To bad that takes that car off my buy list.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Hard to explain why I think the styling is right. Car and Driver already said the silver strip along the hood sides is "polarizing".
Looking like the only 2 engine choices are a 1.6T & 2.0T, no non-turbo offered. 2019 had a 2.4L sans-turbo DI.

I was wrong about engine choices. I think I read some early report. Clearing it up: A new 2.5L non-turbo with both DI+port injection at 191 hp is available.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

I was wrong about engine choices. I think I read some early report. Clearing it up: A new 2.5L non-turbo with both DI+port injection at 191 hp is available.

Right the 2.5L is the new base 191hp, the 1.6T is supposed to be the premium engine choice.. more torque even though its 180hp
and a new turbo 2.0L? in the sonata N-Line and ~~300hp.

engine goofiness is not unheard of Jeep for example has the 3.2 pentastar with 271hp and the 2.0T with 270hp(premium choice) its about 3mpg better and 50ft-lb.
its also odd the v6 has a torque curve of a small 4 cyl, and the 2.0T looks like a diesel or V8

If hyundai would put the 2.0T in the elantra GT N-LIne .. I'd be lining up to buy it. the current 1.6T isnt bad at 200hp but 270-300hp would make a definite hot hatchback.

Their marketing for the new veloster N-line is "This is why you learned to drive a manual transmission."

Disclaimer: the marketing slogan is from memory I might have paraphrased.

They've come a long way since this blight on the landscape (or scourge of the earth or pain in the rear):
[Linked Image from images.hgmsites.net]

Nice looking car though not really excited to see the trend is apparently going to be even bigger grills.

Definitely polarizing from the outside. I'm not sure I like the front end, but the back looks pretty solid. The interior looks great though.

I usually stay out of these threads because beauty is in the eye of beholder.
but...
I looks like a Camry, Lexus and Fusion had a three way and the results were not so hot.

Aerodynamically it may be great, fit and finish may be good, but I don't like how it looks.

Last edited:
[Linked Image from cnet1.cbsistatic.com]
[Linked Image from images.hgmsites.net]

Am I crazy for thinking this looks way overstyled?

I mean, my platonic ideals of car styling are things like the Mercury Marauder, third gen Acura TL and 05-09 Subaru Legacy, so maybe I am crazy.

I will give props to Hyundai for making it distinctive, though. Aerodynamics makes that hard to do these days.

Last edited:
Agree - I don't think it looks that much like a Fusion (we own one) - maybe Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back