Motorcraft Mercon LV 14,684mi FordFusion 6F35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Fifty150
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Originally Posted by ssamaroo01
VeryNoisyPoet
I think a big reason for the drawn out decay of wear metals is that a drain and fill only removed about half of the transmissions capacity.

Most people would drain the transmission from the drain plug, then fill it. I wonder how many 6F35 owners are actually draining and filling 3 times.

I don't. It's not necessary if you do it at 30,000 mile intervals. Mathematically, if you do a single drain & fill every 30,000 miles, then the "average age" of the fluid will never exceed 60,000 miles. Besides that, one of the major reasons for doing drain & fills at 30,000 mile intervals is to keep wear metals/particulates from building up.

Doing 3 drain & fills to "get all the old stuff out" is just a waste at 30k intervals.

Interesting perspective. I am more comfortable with following the recommended service procedure of a triple drain & fill. Makes more sense to me, to have completely fresh fluid, instead of just "freshened up" fluid. I am a little less comfortable with maintaining a mixture of contaminated fluid.

I agree with Fifty150, son has a 2013 Kuga (Escape) with this tranny.

According to Amsoil, total fill is 9 qts. and each D&F is 4.2. Here is your replacement ratio per D/F:

1. 46.67%
2. 71.56%
3. 84.83%
4. 91.91%
5. 95.68%
6. 97.70%
7. 98.77%
8. 99.35%
9. 99.65%
10. 99.81%

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
Originally Posted by SirTanon

Most people would drain the transmission from the drain plug, then fill it. I wonder how many 6F35 owners are actually draining and filling 3 times.

I don't. It's not necessary if you do it at 30,000 mile intervals. Mathematically, if you do a single drain & fill every 30,000 miles, then the "average age" of the fluid will never exceed 60,000 miles. Besides that, one of the major reasons for doing drain & fills at 30,000 mile intervals is to keep wear metals/particulates from building up.

Doing 3 drain & fills to "get all the old stuff out" is just a waste at 30k intervals.

Interesting perspective. I am more comfortable with following the recommended service procedure of a triple drain & fill. Makes more sense to me, to have completely fresh fluid, instead of just "freshened up" fluid. I am a little less comfortable with maintaining a mixture of contaminated fluid.

I agree with Fifty150, son has a 2013 Kuga (Escape) with this tranny.

According to Amsoil, total fill is 9 qts. and each D&F is 4.2. Here is your replacement ratio per D/F:

1. 46.67%
2. 71.56%
3. 84.83%
4. 91.91%
5. 95.68%
6. 97.70%
7. 98.77%
8. 99.35%
9. 99.65%
10. 99.81%

In any transmission your have three sumps, the bottom of the transmission (pan if equiped), the torque converter, and the cooler. People forget this fact, and often get the D&F replacement ratios and concentrations wrong.

A D&F (filter if serviceable), followed by an immediate fluid exchange of total capacity + 2quarts will will net you at least 98% replacement, and far less fluid and time wasted.

Attached is scan image of paper blots of a single drop of transmission fluid after 90K miles and 2 D&Fs. I did a fluid exchange and sampled at 50, and 5k. I do this for engine oil changes to show what the oil looks like after a change where 10-20% of the old oil is left in the engine. A second oil change within 15 miles nets you a 99% clean oil for the next long OCI. No waste, put the second oil change in an older. lower value car that needs a change or use it in farm/garden equipment for the year. Keep the clean stuff for your $30K+ vehicle.

IMG_20190627_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Feel free to waste the extra fluid, if you must, but as I mentioned before - it's unnecessary. Doing single D&F at 30k intervals got the 6f35 transmission in my 2010 Fusion to 274,500 miles without issue, and still operating 100% trouble free.

How much farther do you expect a 6f35 trans to make it with 99% fresh fluid?

I changed the ATF in my Escapes 6f35 again at approx. 30k using the Castrol FS which is LV approved....The only issue I've ever had is about 3 or 4 times in its 35k existence...it will slam into Reverse when I'm making a quick u-turn. When I come to a stop going forward....and place the selector in 'D'...it seems to hesitate (stay in neutral) before slamming into 'R'..

Has anybody else experienced this?

Originally Posted by pbm
I changed the ATF in my Escapes 6f35 again at approx. 30k using the Castrol FS which is LV approved....The only issue I've ever had is about 3 or 4 times in its 35k existence...it will slam into Reverse when I'm making a quick u-turn. When I come to a stop going forward....and place the selector in 'D'...it seems to hesitate (stay in neutral) before slamming into 'R'..

Has anybody else experienced this?

The only time I've ever run into this was when the fuel level was low. I could also see it happening if there was a bunch of air mixed in with the fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back