New Kitchen Faucet Selection: To Pex or Not to Pex ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pex is the way to go. As I recall Viesemann a German company has had a pex test outfit running at 200 degrees under pressure for about 40 years continuous.

You're all talking about pipes in the wall when the OP was asking about a faucet replacement.

Originally Posted by mk378
You're all talking about pipes in the wall when the OP was asking about a faucet replacement.

Actually he was asking about pex. I'm assuming he already has a faucet picked out.
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Is this newer pex stuff any good? Looks cheap and flimsy. Maybe it works great and is better than copper, but I'm skeptical. What say bitog about pex?

since hes asking about pex vs copper I replied about pex.

if it was pex vs stainless braided flex lines or similar I'd assume it was more of a faucet question vs a general pex question.

if it was asking is it ok to buy a faucet with pex connecting lines.. the answer would still be.. yep.. they will outlast the faucet.. but faucets dont come with copper lines.

there have been instances on some of the pull out sprayers that get a pinhole in the sprayer hose eventually causing an undersink flood.. and it wasnt cheap models either..(moen maybe?)

Apples vs. Oranges?

I think the OP is referring to supply lines (from shutoff to faucet) that traditionally have either been hard lines, poly, or stainless/nylon braided. New faucets, like the Deltas I used had integrated PEX supplies lines that connect direct to shutoff. They worked great! I have no issues with PEX, plenty in my house.

I don't see how this is relevant to replacing a faucet???

Personally, I don't like to mix and match, so if I need to add or redo something I match whatever is already in the house. Meaning if copper is there, I do everything new in copper. If it's CPVC, I use CPVC, etc.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx

Personally, I don't like to mix and match, so if I need to add or redo something I match whatever is already in the house. Meaning if copper is there, I do everything new in copper. If it's CPVC, I use CPVC, etc.

You would have liked my old house.. we would get random waterfall from some kitchen cupboards under the 2nd floor bathroom.

It had full tile floor. I would shut off the water to the house and no leaks.. would hold full pressure.
finally I went and bought an inspection camera and started pulling tiles and running tub etc.

ended up being a cracked cpvc pipe joint. that had copper on one end going to tub and black iron going from the basement to the 2nd floor.
when you would flush the toilet about 1/3 the time it would start squirting inside the bathroom floor.
Let me tell you those oscillating multi tools are AWSOME.. for that kind of work.

Oh and the cracked pipe joint was actually 12ft away from where it was coming out of the kitchen ceiling/cupboards.

I also say go PEX. We have it in our house and it's been very easy to work with.

Supposedly you can let water freeze in it and it won't break, but I haven't nor do I plan to test this theory.

If I were rich and were building my own home I would use K copper. If I were to ever build my own home, and not rich, I will use CPVC. Nothing would be underground. All my drops will come from overhead from a large trunk line. The only pipe underground would be the PVC pipe coming from the meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back