STP and AC-Delco Oil Filters the Same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my 2005 Jeep LJ this weekend. Used some QS HM semi-synthetic I got on clearance at AZ ($2/bottle) and a STP S16 I already had on the shelf, from another package oil buy deal at AZ a couple of years ago. It appeared to be an e-core design. Also, I compared it to an AC-Delco PH13 from a stash I got a couple of years ago, when AA was selling fleet/bulk 12-packs of AC-Delco filters for around $8 (yep, $0.75 filters!). The STP and the AC-Delco appeared identical, both e-cores, even the blue paint seemed to match, as well as the font of date code markings. Both made in the USA. So, likely the same manufacturer?

I only put 3-4K miles on my LJ yearly, so I think this will work okay. The new filter is a little shorter than the white Purolator L14670 I took off.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Both Champion labs. I'm not sure if they are exactly the same. The STP shows 90% efficiency on the box. Maybe the ACD has better media?

90% efficiency at what size of particulates?

My car uses a cartridge filter, both the STP and AC Delco look the same in construction and media. Both marked as Made in the USA.

I think the AC-Delco's differ from the regular jobber E-Cores in that they spec and use a dome end bypass and not the combo bypass/ADBV.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
I think the AC-Delco's differ from the regular jobber E-Cores in that they spec and use a dome end bypass and not the combo bypass/ADBV.
The ones for newer GM vehicles without block bypass, that is true. The ACDelco use a separate dome bypass, and equivalent Champ made STP would use a combo valve.

I didn't comment earlier because can't really say what the topic application in the ACDelco uses, but if it's an ecore and specs a filter integral bypass the STP would have a combo valve. Be easy to tell if the ACD uses a combo valve, if no dome bypass visible down centertube AND an ecore, then it uses a combo valve.

That said, locally AZ has a new manufacturer for STP blue, no longer Champ made ecores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back