SN vs SN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are still API SL oils in production

(shell helix ultra proffesional AF, Mobil super 3000 x1, comma x-tech, and many more with ACEA A5B5 (ford 913C/D) spec.,,,

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by demarpaint
In time SN and SN+ will be gone, replaced GF6, etc. A slow evolution.

Not so fast. SN+ is an API cert and GF-6 is ILSAC. SN++ or SO?
I'm using SN+/D1G2 oil in my old junks and they like it!

Ok, and I'm using SN and SN+ in old junk, and not so old gems They love it too. In fact I can't tell the difference between the SN and the SN+ to be honest. I don't think SN++ or GF6 whatever, is going to make a difference to me either.

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin
there are still API SL oils in production

(shell helix ultra proffesional AF, Mobil super 3000 x1, comma x-tech, and many more with ACEA A5B5 (ford 913C/D) spec.,,,

Not on the shelves of Wally's that I've seen. You want older API oil, make a run for Tijuana or Jaurez and stock up....

Originally Posted by natas
Yes...but *will* SN oil continue to be available? Or will all the major brands replace all their SN products (Chevron, Valvoline,Pennzoil, etc. etc.) with SN+. i.e., only SN+ will be available on the shelf since it "supersedes all previous API categories)?

In other words, when I goto Walmart, will I soon (if not now) *not* be able to get an SN oil from a preferred brand--and only have SN+ to choose from?

As you say, SN+ supersedes SN engine oil, just like SN superseded SM oil, back to SJ. Over time, the oil manufacturers or blenders surely begin to phase out the older categories. I'm not sure if an API SM oil is even readily available anymore, at least not from the big-name producers, especially if you're buying your oil from Walmart, auto parts stores, etc.

Here's a curve ball (and not to start an Oil War), for those who use motor oil in a motorcycle (like GTX, or Mobil1, etc. SN+ for purpose of this question>). Motorcycle oil--"proper"--motorcycle oil usually has 1500+ (usually 2000-3000ppm) of Calcium. [and I'm trying to say this as diplomatically as possible for all sides..lol) For those souls who use motor oil (SN) in their motorcycles, how will the new SN+ formulas do with respect to the engine/shared sump. Would the lower Calcium and increased Magnesium be of the [again, avoiding an oil war] cause of any *new* detriment? For the sake of argument, lets say some guy uses motor oil on his bike with no problems with SN oil (finds a good high Ca, low/no moly decent phosphorous and zinc, etc.--is happy etc.etc.--How will the SN+ oil be compared to the SN he was putting in it? Will/Should it perform overall as expected as it did or better? Will the Magnesium do an as good or better job w/ respect to the reduced Calcium proportions (the Ca/Mg blend works as a team) so everything would perform the same as before, if not better--or about Magnesium's perceived abrasiveness? This is not including anything about clutch slippage/friction modifiers (moly) issue/argument, but just on the Ca/Mg relationship in a motorcycle engine. I'm a little high right now, so I babble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back