2015+ XC90 differential and transfer case service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volvo has weird names for these (Haldex Gen 5 and angle gear). Of course Volvo says these are "lifetime" fluids, which I don't buy. There is no info on any DIY maintenance for these latest generation XC90s online. Seems like you need OEM fluids and a suction gun to drain them and refill. Wanted to see if anyone has done them before and has any insight. Thanks!

Originally Posted by K20FA5
Volvo has weird names for these (Haldex Gen 5 and angle gear). Of course Volvo says these are "lifetime" fluids, which I don't buy. There is no info on any DIY maintenance for these latest generation XC90s online. Seems like you need OEM fluids and a suction gun to drain them and refill. Wanted to see if anyone has done them before and has any insight. Thanks!

Interesting on "lifetime" fluid. VW (2018 Tiguan) has a Haldex diff also also and expects fluid changes every 3 years.

Type Haldex in the search function.There are 100 posts on the topic. They are not all Volvo's but you might find some useful info.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Who is the OEM of the parts? You may be able to find some info from similar components are used by other manufacturers.

I did the transfer case on a BMW 335 xdrive with no drain plug (just a fill plug) on it. The service manual had you remove the entire transfer case from the vehicle. I used a large syringe with some tubing to suck as much of the old fluid out as I could and then the same contraption to refill it. I used Ravenol fluid with the same spec rather than the BMW branded fluid. No problems 40k miles later.

the gen 5 doesn't have a replaceable filter like a gen 4. it just has a filter screen you should clean.,

Here's a quick volvo video on youtube

excellent vid, similar to my 2001 tt 225q but easier with no special tools.

Thanks for that video! I've have been searching XC90, but they should all be very similar. It looks pretty easy to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back