Ford 6.2L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a nice 11 limited F150 w/145 k. Asking 20K ish for it.. Anyway..

I read these engines have valve spring issues. Is it just a 1 in a million internet thing?
Sometimes it is a quick repair ( i had the issue on the Lincoln DOHC) but it is usually the reason why the engine is trashed, they are bulletproof otherwise.

Worth swapping them out for PM? I also read it happens even in the later models, sometimes in warranty, so what you buy could be the same issue.

Wonder if there is a way to find out how many of them ford sells.

So beyond a catastrophic failure due to lack of maintenance, we haven't seen any real issues with the 6.2. I know there are some valvetrain issues in some cases, but overall it is a very reliable engine. The quirkiest thing is it takes 16 spark plugs, which are no fun on a F-150.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
So beyond a catastrophic failure due to lack of maintenance, we haven't seen any real issues with the 6.2. I know there are some valvetrain issues in some cases, but overall it is a very reliable engine. The quirkiest thing is it takes 16 spark plugs, which are no fun on a F-150.

I guess it is a very rare occurrence, and even rarer to trash the engine.
Even the Toyota 3.5L has a few failures if you look hard enough.

The 6.2 Ford is a very durable engine. According to a friend of mine that works at a local Ford dealer tells me they never see 6.2's in the shop for engine problems

We have seen maybe 3 valve train issues on them at the dealership I'm at. There are a ton of them on the roads around here. Very popular choice for farmers running super duty trucks.

I know there have been reports of spring/rocker issues, even on this page. However at least for us, it isn't as common as lets say a 3v cam phaser that we stock.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
The 6.2 Ford is a very durable engine. According to a friend of mine that works at a local Ford dealer tells me they never see 6.2's in the shop for engine problems

I can attest to this. We have two F-250 reg cab plow trucks that are 2018 models. No issues whatsoever and they both have the 6.2 engine
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

I can attest to this. We have two F-250 reg cab plow trucks that are 2018 models. No issues whatsoever and they both have the 6.2 engine
smile.gif

I've only logged 33K on mine so far, but has not been back to dealer since the day I drove it off the lot.
So OP if the owner serviced that truck as it should have been
That engine should be your least worry.

I know there have been reports of spring/rocker issues, even on this page. However at least for us, it isn't as common as lets say a 3v cam phaser that we stock.

Agreed 100%. I'd buy a 6.2 powered truck without a second thought about engine issues.

There was a really odd time while I was still a tech that the most prevalent engine issues we saw was on trade in GM 5.3 trucks. The 5.4 3v's were old enough they were going to the independents. While the 3.5 EB timing chain issues certainly happen they haven't been very common around here. So most engine work was trade ins. Then the 5.0 vct actuators and water pumps on all truck engines became more common.

Last edited:
Broken valve springs are a thing on highly stressed F250 & F350 models & even then it's not that common, Wouldn't worry to much on a F150!
6.2L & a 6R80 is a great combo!

$20,000 is a lot for a 2011 with 150,000 miles even if the 6.2L is rare in a F150.

The quirkiest thing is it takes 16 spark plugs, which are no fun on a F-150.

I find them easier than the 250/350 because the Evaporator housing isn't under the hood on a F150

Wow, I completely forgot you could get a 1/2 ton with the 6.2 (besides the Raptor). No wonder it's a rare truck...

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Wow, I completely forgot you could get a 1/2 ton with the 6.2 (besides the Raptor). No wonder it's a rare truck...

I mostly see them in Harley Davidson Editions.....

That powertrain combo is awesome in an F-150. I agree on price though, is it not a bit high w/ 145K or is that just the market in your area?

OP is it 4wd ???

2H-AWD-4H.
No Low setting. I think it is similar the 96 Explorer with no Low. The explorer don't have any fancy hubs.

Originally Posted by panthermike
That powertrain combo is awesome in an F-150. I agree on price though, is it not a bit high w/ 145K or is that just the market in your area?

Yeah, Kbb says 14-18.
I found some in other places a low as 13. But yes, here, in decent shape without rust, it is a unicorn.

Originally Posted by 14Accent

Yeah, it is a white iceberg. Only one color. Really stands out too.
Every truck here is a high mileage eco. Even the salesman told me to avoid those (unless new with a warranty).

Salesman told me they go in new F-450s, where the truck is someones livelihood and under the most extreme service. He said the rest of the truck will fall apart around the engine.

The dealerships sells tons of used 250s and 350s with that engine, he said they go on as second life in landscaping or towing for another 100K+ miles.

Last edited:
Your concerns with valve springs in the 6.2 are nothing to lose any sleep over. I had heard about it when the engines first came out but have not seen any notable failures in service.

I bought a ‘12 F-250 with a 6.2/6R140 in late 2011 and put 206,000 miles on it, mostly highway pulling >10,000 lbs. Followed the OLM using cheap 5/10W-30 synthetics (usually 10k+ per change), did spark plugs twice, all other maintenance by the book.
The only failure I experienced was one coil quitting around 110,000 miles.
Truck ran, drove, and looked new when sold.

I'm now driving a ‘19 with the same engine and driveline.

On the other hand, the price of the truck you are looking at is high, for that money you can get a pretty nice F-250 or F-350 of the same model year with the same engine and similar miles.

The only thing I would loose sleep over is forking over 20k for that high of a mileage, no unicorn is worth that money.

I may be incorrect but I do not believe the 6.2 is available in the 450+ trucks. The 6.8 v10 lives on in those as the gas offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back