Oil cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a 2014 ram 2500 Cummins motor with 120,000 miles. I purchased the truck recently and it had good service records up until about 30k miles ago. I know it was taken good care of before that because of the service records and I assume it was after that but there's no record to prove my assumption. I am curious about using an oil and fuel cleaner and figured I should turn to the experts.

I have read about a few products and the two I have in mind are products made by Powermaxx called "bluechem Oil System Cleaner" and "bluechem Common-Rail Diesel System Clean & Protect." Are these products something worth using to help prolong the life of the motor?

I've also found some positive things said about Hot shots secret products and they have two products similar to the ones I mentioned above. Would they be a better option to go with?

Thank you,
Dbow

I'd start by just changing the oil and doing it again on a shorter OCI, then go back to the regular OCI you intended.

Fuel cleaner, sure you could put some in but it probably won't make much difference unless you have observed problems that suggest clogged fuel injectors.

I changed the oil and and fuel filters the same week I brought it home. So I will follow your advice and change it on a shorter interval this time. You wouldn't recommend adding an oil system cleaner before this next oil change?

The fuel system doesn't have any bad symptoms. I guess I was just thinking of adding something as a preventative measure.

Yeah I would just run a short OCI and if you are concerned about it do a UOA. Use the proper oil, good filters and decent change interval and you shouldn't have any oil related issues. Keep the fuel filters changed as recommended and you shouldn't have issues there either. Has the truck been deleted or still stock?

Thanks for all the advice so far. Sounds like I'll just do a oil change earlier than I planned to keep it clean.

I replaced the air filter with a new fleet guard filter at the same time as the oil and fuel filters.

Donaldson P551833 - 2 micron fuel (rear)
WIX WF10255NP - 2 micron fuel (engine)
Donaldson DBL7349 - 15 micron oil
Biodiesel for fuel supplement in the summer, Power Service products are Cummins approved, Redline diesel additive seems to be highly regarded. I use it for lube, not cleaning.
If you have the Aisin, the best price on lube I found is on Summit, the Mobil 3309, just have to buy >$50 worth for free shipping.
At 120k, I'd change all lubes, axles, T-case, etc.

Originally Posted by Dbow
Thanks for all the advice so far. Sounds like I'll just do a oil change earlier than I planned to keep it clean.

Welcome... If you do a short cycle OCI, use an inexpensive HDEO like Supertech from Walmart...

Originally Posted by BoiseRob
Originally Posted by Dbow

Welcome... If you do a short cycle OCI, use an inexpensive HDEO like Supertech from Walmart...

Agreed.
And when you're done, go ahead and use the ST for the normal OCIs also. The engine won't know the difference, but your wallet will. Get whatever decent brand name or house brand you can find on sale. The engine isn't nearly as picky and finicky as many would have us believe.

Last edited:
These engine are great, I change both my fuel filters every 20k, oil change every 10k. All I use is Baldwin filter 170k trouble free miles.
The only thing is dont forget to change out the CCV (crank case) filter, and for the life of your injection pump and lift pump clean out the filter and strainer in the sending unit.
My truck came with those stupid cap less fuel filler necks, and I ran it like that for 150k, well all that oily dirt got inside the tank and clogged those suckers up to the point I was getting a low fuel rail pressure code. So make this your priority ASAP if you have one of those cap less craps. (I modified mine by getting the filler neck from an 05 f350 cab chassi truck)

Last edited:
I've got a fuel cap on mine and replaced the CCV filter while I was doing a little work on the intake. Thanks for all the reminders though.

I have been reading into different oils and I can't decide what to use on my next oil change after this shorter one. I will be moving north so I like the idea of a synthetic 5w40 oil for the colder starts. There's a comment above about continuing to use the ST oil because the engine doesn't know the difference. If I use a ST oil instead of a Schaeffer's the performance would really be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back