help me - 65" HDTV which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised to see the love of TCL here. My 65' lasted about a week, when the power board or whatever specifically covers power to the TV, went out. Googled it and apparently it is (or was at least) a pretty popular problem. Took it back and the people at the service desk said they get a lot of TCL's returned for this problem. Went with a pedestrian run of the mill Walmart 65 inch Visio which has been flawless going on two years. Not that Visio is some huge step up from TCL, but then my eyesight probably doesn't justify spending $2K or more on some high end TV that my eyes aren't going to see any better than some Walmart el cheapo unit.

OLED is the best picture quality i've ever seen. It's all i want/buy. Recently got a great deal on an ebay LG 65 E8, the all glass model. It arrived with slight glass chip on two corners, sent sellers pics, they gave me $150 off an already low price.

OLED is expensive and may not hold up long term due to burn in, but its the very best picture quality.

I give the TCL 6 series the budget thumbs up. But if you want to spend about $1500-1600 you can snag a beautiful OLED.

I bought, at an auction, a curved 55" OLED from LG, the whole top left corner of screen was bent in shipping damage. The picture is still perfect, and because it looked so bad while off nobody else bid against me so i ended up with it for $50. Works great for a second room. My oldest TV is also an LG OLED from years ago and its still going strong. You do have to be mindful of burn in and not leave static images on.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
ok, I pulled the trigger...I will give an update when it gets here later this month. I appreciate the help.

Yes please do come back, I've narrowed it down to the Q80, just don't know if I want the 55 or 65 inch. Been following these two on Amazon and the price has been up and down a few times, over black Friday they were a couple hundred less. I'm waiting for Super Bowl sales as one mentioned.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr

Yes please do come back, I've narrowed it down to the Q80, just don't know if I want the 55 or 65 inch. Been following these two on Amazon and the price has been up and down a few times, over black Friday they were a couple hundred less. I'm waiting for Super Bowl sales as one mentioned.

I've never heard anyone say that they wish they had bought a smaller TV.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
I suggest you read up on the reviews (professional) this TV is a steal now, bought one in Dec 2018 when it was the "new" model, now at a discount, think the 950 replaced it and selling at the same price as the Samsung you mention..
The newer model is the 950 I think, but doesnt matter, fantastic set. The images/black level/dynamic range is so good, at first, the images will look 3d ish to you, then you will get used to it.
Local dimming is the key to a TV with TRUE HDR, never mind the fantastic 4k upscaling.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR65X9...Y2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I am probably going to buy a TV around SuperBowl time...if there are deals to be had. My current TV is 5 years old and was fantastic for 720P but it is showing its age on the newer technologies.

I am an avid reader on the TV forums and the TCL is losing steam. Panel Lottery, and DSE (dirty screen effect) as well as banding are popping up threads every few hours...so im losing my desire for the TCL 6 series.

As of right now the double price of the Sony 900f and X950G are a tough pill to swallow... but i need to remind myself that 2000 hours of enjoyable tv over 5 years is probably worth $1000.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

OLED is coming out next year...and will probably blow everything currently out of the water... also HDMI 2.1

If you can wait another year lol.

OLED is amazing, but it has it's downsides too. It's not as bright (by as much as 2/3rds) , and the "vaunted" deep blacks may sometimes make shaded dark colored things simply look black. A good example may be long black colored hair. Compared to a bright LCD TV where the slight differences in the hair's shadings show up more prominently.

I love to watch Sci Fi space shows, and the deep blacks are really important. I don't watch sports, so bright colors are not as important. Even so, it seems like any of the current mid level TV's will do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back