Owners Manual Recommendations 2019 Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing the RAM owners manual for 2019 and I clipped these exerts:

For 1500 Models first, including the recommendation for severe service off to the right, then lastly the 3500 with the 6.4 liter gas engine. Enjoy.

Ram Gas Truck Oil Reccomendations.PNG

2019 Ram Severe duty.PNG

Ram 6.4 liter engine.PNG

Last edited:
Seems pretty straight forward. 0w20 or 5w20 for the lighter duty trucks and 0w-40 for the big gasser.

Severe usage applies to all.

Better than the recs that other companies make.

For the 6.4 in my SRT, there is an added requirement to change oil every 6 months, regardless of miles. Since the car is garaged during winter, this means the oil only has a few hundred miles on it before it needs to be dumped in the Spring. It's ridiculous. Not planning on doing this wasteful exercise once warranty is up.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
For the 6.4 in my SRT, there is an added requirement to change oil every 6 months, regardless of miles. Since the car is garaged during winter, this means the oil only has a few hundred miles on it before it needs to be dumped in the Spring. It's ridiculous. Not planning on doing this wasteful exercise once warranty is up.

You can always do a virtual, or Faux oil change.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Inspecktor
I am curious why they recommend 0W-20 for the 3.6 and 5W-20 for the 5.7?

Towing capabilities.of the 5/7 may have slipped 0W20 to 2nd Place..
Remember - these are recommendations, not requirements.

I just run 5W/30 Mobil 1 in the wife's 3.6 Grand Cherokee Overland and in my Ram Limited 5.7.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I just run 5W/30 Mobil 1 in the wife's 3.6 Grand Cherokee Overland and in my Ram Limited 5.7.

Castrol 0w40 here, both Pentastars are happy
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Towing capabilities.of the 5/7 may have slipped 0W20 to 2nd Place..
Remember - these are recommendations, not requirements.

Pennzoil's viscosity is the same at 100C for 5w20 and 0w20 according to the data sheets. Castrol is 8.65 vs 8.88, but both Castrol oils have the same HTHS at 2.6. But yes, neither the 3.6 nor the 5.7 is terribly picky.

Good question, and I don't see a good answer yet. Something to do with VII levels? Or are they intending to imply only the 3.6 requires full synthetic?

Originally Posted by CR94
Good question, and I don't see a good answer yet. Something to do with VII levels? Or are they intending to imply only the 3.6 requires full synthetic?

Or blend, as mentioned. Both have the same approval standard so
21.gif
It seems to imply that conventional isn't suitable for the Pentastar.

GMBoy for a screen name driving MOPARS -- gottal luv it. Why no Generic Motors?? Lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by CR94

Or blend, as mentioned. Both have the same approval standard so
21.gif
It seems to imply that conventional isn't suitable for the Pentastar.

3.6 recommends conventional in my Caravan with Synthetic ok. From what I understand the difference between 0w20 and 5w20 is cold pour but still 20 grade up to temp only difference is base oil which is kept at bay by oil companies. Manufacturers seem to recommend 0w20 for start stop technology but in reality oil is up to temp so it is at 20 grade therefore the base must be the difference. Just an opinion. Oh my 3.6 is quieter on Conventional (subjective) and better fuel mileage. Valvoline Daily is a blend so that might be the case for the engine liking it.

My '19 Classic manual is all over the map for the 3.6. One spot mentions 0w20 but the other(like pictured above) says 5w20 or 5w30(if 5w20 not available). It's nice to have options
smile.gif

Originally Posted by BAJA_05

GMBoy for a screen name driving MOPARS -- gottal luv it. Why no Generic Motors?? Lol

LOL! Well, I own more GM vehicles then non-GM. I am non-biased and bought the RAM and Jeep simply because they were, in my opinion, better than what GM had to offer and I even got better pricing with RAM and Jeep then I could get with my GM discount! GM does not have anything that competes with the Grand Cherokee for off road capabilty and luxury and the RAM Limited I got is much nicer than the Denali offerings. I still own a Sierra Denali though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back