Drill bit test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have been interesting if he had tested both ends of the spectrum. Say the Cobalt bits from Harbor Freight and say some Norseman or Chicago Latrobe.

I get the notion that he's trying to control experimental variables

Reality is that when it comes to drilling, appropriate speed, feed rate, and optimized drill point geometry are critical.
For example, there are at least a dozen different drill point geometries (118° point, 130° point, 140° point, various split points and web thinning techniques, brad point, flat bottom, variations on margin thickness, lip clearance angle, chisel thickness, etc) that I could sharpen by hand, and each geometry would result in a different ideal speed and feed for each material. And we haven't even discussed coolants, cutting oils or optimal peck drilling cycles.

So when he standardized these values for the test, he eliminated the optimal conditions for each tool. The result is a set of standardized inputs that ensure substandard results.

Optimal drilling results require carefully selected and tightly controlled inputs that are different for each tool. This test was the opposite of that.

I can appreciate the efforts he made, but the results are just junk.

Originally Posted by Imp4
I can appreciate the efforts he made, but the results are just junk.

Most of what he does is. His videos are a commercial venture.

I have that Dewalt set. It, along with a similar Rigid set are the cheapest drill bit sets at HD.

When he focuses on the tip I swear the Milwaukee 1/2 was the same as the Hyper Tough 1/2, Both of them have the notch in the cutting edge. If so, that's brutal!

Originally Posted by Imp4

Optimal drilling results require carefully selected and tightly controlled inputs that are different for each tool. This test was the opposite of that.

Obviously, but this test is not for professional machinists. The reality is that most of his viewers are Joe Homeowner who just want to know if the drill bits that are $10 more are worth it or not. Professional machinists and people who know what they are doing already know the answer and won't need to watch the video. I swear people on this forum read too deeply into everything he posts on youtube. It's for entertainment...

You guys crack me up. There is only so much time that can be spent on a comparison video for youtube. Anyone can just come along and say do it different, do it more elaborate and comprehensive, buy every drill bit on earth and use every drill and pressure and speed and lube and material and then come back and do it again every time a product changes. That would take a channel devoted to a much narrower topic than the array that PF does.

The point of the video was to directly compare those specific bits in that use scenario, nothing more. Within that 16 minute envelope, it would not have made sense to delve into minute details instead of sticking with an initial comparison of what bit sets PF found readily available in this budget price class.

If your use case differs, it's up to you to test that. Obviously this video is for people just getting into drilling, otherwise we all have basic set(s) of drills and will use what we already have, until they don't cut it (pun intended). For that matter, who has a 15" drill press but doesn't already have bits? lol.

Originally Posted by Dave9
The point of the video was to directly compare those specific bits in that use scenario, nothing more. Within that 16 minute envelope, it would not have made sense to delve into minute details instead of sticking with an initial comparison of what bit sets PF found readily available in this budget price class.

I think that you're spot on as far as his goal.
My statement was only to say that he didn't do a good job of it.
I also think that it's no possible to do a 15 minute YouTube video and do the subject justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back