Carfax report 😳

Status
Not open for further replies.
….. And all those trips to the dealer for repairs is NOT on the carfax. That's the misleading part I have a problem with.
Who knows if the dealer logged them such that CF could see them. Could have been Ford internal and CF couldn't see. As noted here, CF is an overview. If you're expecting everything, likely not going to get it with CF. And, it was enough here to raise suspicions.

As for odo discrepancy, if I'm trusting anyone first it's Mi MVD over the AZ dealer. The first has no vested interest, the latter, a big one.

And the buy back explains the 9/17/18 title to manufacturer. So much for the two vehicle history speculation.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
And the buy back explains the 9/17/18 title to manufacturer. So much for the two vehicle history speculation.

Yes, that does make a lot of sense.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I'm backing off this car
Feels like a mislead to me

And I wasted $39.95

Proves carfax reports aren't all that great for what they charge

Yeah, I get a bad feeling from it also… The money was well spent to keep you out of it

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Wouldn't enough dealer warranty work to qualify a car as a lemon law car likely show up on Carfax? I thought actual dealers are pretty good about reporting things. So if a car you're looking at shows regular dealer oil changes you're happy but if it doesn't it really doesn't mean much because they just didn't report them?

Carfax can provide info but it doesn't necessarily provide all info on a vehicle. Money well spent OP.

I agree with you guys about how $40 bucks saved me a lot misery is true. Since my first post I've found out more info about this car from the salesman who seems to be an honest guy. In the dealership file is a complete history of repairs on this Ford Buy Back Car. The owner took this car numerous time to the Lincoln dealer for an electrical problem that was never fixed and that when the buy back took place. And all those trips to the dealer for repairs is NOT on the carfax. That's the misleading part I have a problem with.

More info from the dealer salesman.
The electrical problem with this car supposedly was due to the original owner installed an aftermarket alarm system that was draining the battery 🤔
Looks like that should of been found during the many times it was checked out.

Carfax is great but may not tell the whole story.
I got a 2016 Corolla for my grand nieces from a Ford dealership in TX; I live in CA.
I was dependeing on the Ford store and Carfax as I could not be there.
It had miles but was clean and the price was right at just under $10K.

Well, turns out the car had been rear ended; they put a new bumper cover on but did not repair the internal bumper damage.
Most likely done under the table somehow; the accident and shoddy repair was not on Carfax.

The car is otherwise ok, so whatever, right?
Good luck to you.

The electrical problem with this car supposedly was due to the original owner installed an aftermarket alarm system that was draining the battery 🤔

sounds like a perfect dealer salesman talk...

Still looking for a replacement car for my wife
Found this car and pulled a carfax report

Anybody see what I see ??

What kind of car was it? Any links for it? Thanks.

as vehicles age a carfax can mean something or nothing as reports are put in or NOT by the owners!!

Wouldn't enough dealer warranty work to qualify a car as a lemon law car likely show up on Carfax? I thought actual dealers are pretty good about reporting things. So if a car you're looking at shows regular dealer oil changes you're happy but if it doesn't it really doesn't mean much because they just didn't report them?

Carfax can provide info but it doesn't necessarily provide all info on a vehicle. Money well spent OP.

I agree with you guys about how $40 bucks saved me a lot misery is true. Since my first post I've found out more info about this car from the salesman who seems to be an honest guy. In the dealership file is a complete history of repairs on this Ford Buy Back Car. The owner took this car numerous time to the Lincoln dealer for an electrical problem that was never fixed and that when the buy back took place. And all those trips to the dealer for repairs is NOT on the carfax. That's the misleading part I have a problem with.

You should also get the autocheck. That finds stuff that carfax misses. You can search around for them, as others mentioned, you should be able to find Carfaxes in the $10 range, they're just hard to find now as eBay has been cracking down on them, but they're out there. You used to be able to get a carfax and autocheck on eBay for about $7 once.

Here's one guy who may still be selling them for $5.

https://mbworld.org/forums/market/761195

I'd steer clear (pun intended). I sold cars for Volkswagen and Lexus and the manufacturer buyback on the title got my attention straight away. Like mentioned above companies rarely buyback their vehicles.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

You should also get the autocheck. That finds stuff that carfax misses. You can search around for them, as others mentioned, you should be able to find Carfaxes in the $10 range, they're just hard to find now as eBay has been cracking down on them, but they're out there. You used to be able to get a carfax and autocheck on eBay for about $7 once.

Here's one guy who may still be selling them for $5.

https://mbworld.org/forums/market/761195

Autocheck has a good deal if your like me looking at several cars
25 reports for $50 bucks

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Car fax is mostly a scam, same service here is free

https://motosnoop.com/

This one doesn't show maintenance history-many carfax records do.

So-no-it's not the same thing.

Originally Posted by CKN

Out of 10 cars I specked out when I made the mistake of Carfax only one had maintenance history and it was the complimentary ones the dealer provided.

Not very accurate, either. I ran my VIN on my 2014 Elantra, and it came back with this:

2019 HYUNDAI Elantra
Make: HYUNDAI
Model: Elantra
Trim: GLS(Middle)
Engine:
Class: Sedan/Saloon
Country of Assembly: UNITED STATES (USA)
Calculated Owners: 2

I have a 2014, Limited, One owner (me)

Originally Posted by Propflux01

Not very accurate, either. I ran my VIN on my 2014 Elantra, and it came back with this:

2019 HYUNDAI Elantra
Engine:

E12E94BA-8576-4911-B50C-230318B33C60.jpeg

Originally Posted by Propflux01

2019 HYUNDAI Elantra
Engine:

My car is a ‘14. It's in the VIN. It also shows trim level.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/Hyundai/VIN_Codes

Originally Posted by CKN

Out of 10 cars I specked out when I made the mistake of Carfax only one had maintenance history and it was the complimentary ones the dealer provided.

That's the thing-only if the shop where they take their vehicle participates in recording the maintenance history on Carfax-is when you have records. If they took the vehicle to the dealer you would have had meticulous records of said vehicle(s).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MrMoody
Originally Posted by Sayjac

Yes, that does make a lot of sense.

Not necessarily. I have seen lease returns or "program cars" have similar carfax histories when they are returned. If it is a buyback, it will have a branded title and carfax will flag this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back